Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time here. I've owned my PK380 for about 4 months now, and have put about 800 rounds through it.
I've been legally carrying my PK380 daily. I must say I really enjoy this pistol. It's very comfortable, I'm a very consistent shooter with it and I really am very satisfied with the looks and feel. I use either a Crossbreed or the Blackhawk IWB number 5 I think. Depends on what I'm wearing.
I practice my draw daily and have learned how to deal with the safety. The first time I operated it, the safety actually confused me. Cover the S and reveal the F for fire. lol... seemed simple but it was awkward coming from a Taurus PT92AF and XD40.

Lately during my practice draws, (I live in the outskirts of Las Vegas so I do practice with a loaded magazine but safely with miles of desert as my backyard) and just carrying it in general, I noticed that the first round in the magazine starts to drift forward. It gets to the point that after a few practice draws, the magazine takes more force than usual to push down the release lever and drop the mag. I can slap the bottom of the mag and it releases easily. Another problem is with the bullet sliding out of the mag (with no slide movement either) while inside the grip is that sometimes it can "fall" out of the mag and just be chilling inside the slide. Or if the round has slid forward enough, dropping the slide causes the round to fall out separately as its knocked out of place by the ramp to the chamber. I have seen this happen with both my mags. They have been loaded with Fed Hydrashoks.

I have had my fair share of FTE and FTF's. They seem to get better the more I shoot the pistol though. I've been practicing with Lawman ammo. I have noticed that through manual extractions the casings can get chewed up pretty easily with the Fed HS'. I try to keep this to a minimum by not racking the slide. I also noticed that no matter how quickly I try the manual extraction, 5 of the 8 rounds usually just fall into the gun and not clear and off to the right like they should. I've read posts in this forum for the past few hours now and saw that some folks shave the nose off the extractor. I hope this is not necessary. After I put another few hundred rounds through her I'll make a decision on if I want to modify it or send it back for updated parts. (if any)

I am not 100% sold that this is a fully reliable carry weapon, but I feel as long as I check it every now and then for that bullet migration and that I can drop the mag easily I'm okay with carrying it.

Sorry for the long post, but what does the community here think? Similar problems or should I just try with new mags?

I attached a pic of what the round looks like in the mag when its migrated forward. Like I said above it does this throughout the day, or more so during my practice draw sessions.
Pardon the basic image editing. But the big pic shows the migration forward and the little shows where it should be. Think I should just crimp the mag ends a little tighter? Or is it the steel casing of the hydrashoks?

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
384 Posts
It might be that if a bullet contacts the feed ramp, then a force is added
on the mag catch legs, making mag release tougher.
I've never heard of a bullet moving forward from just handling the gun
as is draw practice, but not many folks practice draw with the mag loaded.

This same movement could lead to losing a bullet at mag release, as you indicate.
Even though it happens with both mags, the production run could have had retaining
lips that are set too wide. The lower pic seems to show the round sitting high.
(those cases look like steel, but likely it's brass)

On that separate issue, if you slowly extract an empty case, the extractor
should hold the case until the ejector pries it out.
If the extractor does not hold the case, then problems during firing are more likely.
The most common problem is that the extractor is too far from the case,
and the common solution is shaving the hidden stop-nose on the extractor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have done the slow extract and it works every time. Just never really liked how it won't extract a round like every other gun I've owned. They just kinda fall out of the breech when extracted; but only manually. Firing they extract as should be expected.
Thank you for the reply.

I failed to mention earlier that even while carrying it in my crossbreed, the migration of the round is significant. It's almost 3/4's of the way forward. I'm not doing gymnastics while wearing it either. I noticed the lot numbers on the mags were similar. (276 71 39 - A) I might try ordering a couple more to see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It might be useful to provide measurements of the distance between the mag
retaining lips near the middle and near the front (where the round slips from the lips).
What counts is the inside measurement.

My PK's in my ride, but I'll post later on those dimensions.
I know you have brass casings, but one reason I never buy steel casings is that
they can potentially wear gun parts. Steel bullets usually have copper cladding.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Using inside calipers, the inner dimension at the narrow end (front)
of the mag retaining lips is 7.9mm.

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
Several of my pistols do the same thing. Not even Walther makes. When the magazine is inserted and locked the top round, and the entire stack is compressed and the top round is no longer touching the mag lips. It is pressed against the bottom of the breech. I make it a habit to reset the top round fully rear in the mag every day in my carry. I expect simply the movement of drawing and pointing is causing enough momentum to move the top round. Fed HS are especially bad about this. Why???? Hard and polished case?????? M1911

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too have got into the habit of checking at least twice a day. My XD40 never did that, so this is a new concept.

I have not yet measured the magazine lip yet. I don't have a caliper unfortunately but my ruler should suffice. I just need to take a moment to do that.

Maybe I'll give the Gold Dot's a shot and see if those cases slide forward.

·
Registered
384 Posts
1911 is right about the main problem; the mag lips don't figure into
the movement forward of the top round pressing against the feed lug.
(I wonder if a round has been chambered in these situations.)

But the mag lips could figure into the second issue ...
"Another problem is ... dropping the [mag] causes the round to fall out
separately as its knocked out of place by the [feed] ramp ..."

The top round does not have a full mag front to control forward position,
so if it snags on the feed ramp, wider mag lips are more likely to
let the round strip out of the mag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been having the same problems with mine as well Ravenhurst. Both instances with the round not extracting and the round moving forward when clip is inserted. Rarely can I go through a whole magazine without it messing up when cycling manually. Have you been experiencing the same problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also I just bought the Federal Hydroshocks, but I have the same result with the Federal full metal jackets, Blazer full metal jackets, Tulammo full metal jackets, and Speer hollow points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been having the same problems with mine as well Ravenhurst. Both instances with the round not extracting and the round moving forward when clip is inserted. Rarely can I go through a whole magazine without it messing up when cycling manually. Have you been experiencing the same problem?
I can never cycle through a full magazine without having some form of malfunction. I have to hold the weapon upside down in order for it to actuate properly.
But when its firing on the range everything works just fine. I noticed yesterday, after being out and about, the round had come out of the magazine completely and was just hanging out inside the slide. If I needed to use the weapon, I would of had the one in the chamber, and that would of been all she wrote.
Don't think I'll be carrying this weapon for much longer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
"the bullet sliding out of the mag (with no slide movement either) while inside
the grip is that sometimes it can "fall" out of the mag and just be chilling
inside the slide. ...the round had come out of the magazine completely and
was just hanging out inside the slide."

I'm not sure what condition you are describing.
What you write seems only possible if the slide is opened; or if a
rimlock condition pulled two rounds and the slide somehow closed.
Pics would help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I can't really post a pic of it because it's all internal of the slide. I messed with it a little today, and I tried putting the mag in with a round chambered, a round sitting inside the slide (held the pistol upside down; hammer down; safety on; outside) and I couldn't get the magazine to fully insert.

Now what I've been noticing is that after a day of carry, the number 1 round in the magazine will slide forward enough and be just barely in the magazine. I was mistaken to say that it is floating free inside the pistol (1 chambered, 7 in the mag, and 1 just hanging out above the mag) because what I noticed is that when it has slid forward enough, upon releasing the magazine from the grip the round is immediately freed from the magazine and therefore gives the illusion that it was loose inside the pistol. If I were to fire the pistol in this condition, the round would be freed from the magazine as the slide operated back, probably causing a malfunction since it is not ejected, but just let free from its holding posistion in the magazine.

I hope I explained this well enough to understand. Here's a video. Obviously with the slide open the round falls to the floor. With it closed, it would just fall out of the mag well with the mag. While shooting, this could be disastrous.

I measured the mag and the straight section is right at 12/32. The curled in part is 9/32.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It likely would malfunction if the round was nearly free of the mag.
With constraints by the feed ramp, feed lug of the slide, and the mag lips,
the protruding round might be dragged back some, but if the front of the
new round could rise enough when the slide is still open, it might catch on
the top of the chamber as the slide closes; or even pop out of the port.

You have found the "next-round" loose when the slide was opened, and
that is definitely a problem if the feed lug is tying to strip another round
behind a loose round. A jam or a scare for sure.

Whatever, it's an ugly thing to have a round that far in front of the mag at any time.
The nickel plated brass likely reduces friction, but nickel plate is still SAMMI spec.
I wonder if the surface of the feed lug that contacts the next (rising) round is
rough enough to drag the new round forward as the previous round is chambered.

1911 has seen migration of a next round in other guns; maybe those had rough feed lugs.
It seems that the front of a mag must be low enough to permit normal feed,
but high enough to keep the next round back. Since I have not seen this
problem on any gun board, maybe there are mags that have lower front walls.

9/32'' converts to 7.14mm, and 12/32'' converts to 9.52mm.
My unfired cases from two brands measure 9.41mm.
My minimum mag dim was 7.9mm.
This is not the main issue, but if you recheck the minimum inside dim,
you should get no more than 8.8mm (11/32)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
9/32'' converts to 7.14mm, and 12/32'' converts to 9.52mm.
My unfired cases from two brands measure 9.41mm.
My minimum mag dim was 7.9mm.
This is not the main issue, but if you recheck the minimum inside dim,
you should get no more than 8.8mm (11/32)
It's difficult to measure with a small metal ruler. I'll try to bring an empty mag to work and measure it with a digital caliper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the measurements with a caliper. Unfortunately our digital one was out of the shop for calibration.

The curled in part of the mag measured at what I'm guessing is 8.5mm. The forward top portion of the mag measured right at 10mm.

Each round is probably around 9.9mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 PK380 Bullet Migration

I have the same issue with my 2010 Walther PK380 Factory Magazine. This is my daily carry. At least once a day I pull the loaded magazine out and feel a bullet catch hear a CLICK and a bullet falls out of the grip of the gun. Seems it's moving forward with just movement and then when the magazine is dropped it pulls the bullet completely out of the magazine and it falls on the ground. This concerns me a bit as this is my daily carry and I don't need a FTF or hang up in a life or death situation.
Any clue as to WHY this is happening? I don't run, jog, or do much while I'm carrying so it's not getting bumped and jostled around. It goes from my safe to my waste and back to my safe. Most of the time I'm sitting during the day. So no idea why this is happening.
Might be time to turn in my Walther's for something else.

Hello, first time here. I've owned my PK380 for about 4 months now, and have put about 800 rounds through it.
I've been legally carrying my PK380 daily. I must say I really enjoy this pistol. It's very comfortable, I'm a very consistent shooter with it and I really am very satisfied with the looks and feel. I use either a Crossbreed or the Blackhawk IWB number 5 I think. Depends on what I'm wearing.
I practice my draw daily and have learned how to deal with the safety. The first time I operated it, the safety actually confused me. Cover the S and reveal the F for fire. lol... seemed simple but it was awkward coming from a Taurus PT92AF and XD40.

Lately during my practice draws, (I live in the outskirts of Las Vegas so I do practice with a loaded magazine but safely with miles of desert as my backyard) and just carrying it in general, I noticed that the first round in the magazine starts to drift forward. It gets to the point that after a few practice draws, the magazine takes more force than usual to push down the release lever and drop the mag. I can slap the bottom of the mag and it releases easily. Another problem is with the bullet sliding out of the mag (with no slide movement either) while inside the grip is that sometimes it can "fall" out of the mag and just be chilling inside the slide. Or if the round has slid forward enough, dropping the slide causes the round to fall out separately as its knocked out of place by the ramp to the chamber. I have seen this happen with both my mags. They have been loaded with Fed Hydrashoks.

I have had my fair share of FTE and FTF's. They seem to get better the more I shoot the pistol though. I've been practicing with Lawman ammo. I have noticed that through manual extractions the casings can get chewed up pretty easily with the Fed HS'. I try to keep this to a minimum by not racking the slide. I also noticed that no matter how quickly I try the manual extraction, 5 of the 8 rounds usually just fall into the gun and not clear and off to the right like they should. I've read posts in this forum for the past few hours now and saw that some folks shave the nose off the extractor. I hope this is not necessary. After I put another few hundred rounds through her I'll make a decision on if I want to modify it or send it back for updated parts. (if any)

I am not 100% sold that this is a fully reliable carry weapon, but I feel as long as I check it every now and then for that bullet migration and that I can drop the mag easily I'm okay with carrying it.

Sorry for the long post, but what does the community here think? Similar problems or should I just try with new mags?

I attached a pic of what the round looks like in the mag when its migrated forward. Like I said above it does this throughout the day, or more so during my practice draw sessions.
Pardon the basic image editing. But the big pic shows the migration forward and the little shows where it should be. Think I should just crimp the mag ends a little tighter? Or is it the steel casing of the hydrashoks?

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sam here on my PK380

I have the same issue with my 2010 PK380.
I've noticed what happens is, I load my magazine with 8 rounds it doesn't matter the ammo type. I insert the magazine into the mag well and rack a round into the chamber. I then go to pull the magazine OUT to load 1 more round in and the second round has already come forward far enough after racking that it catches and falls out of the magazine well on to the ground.
I have to insert the round back into the magazine fully and tap the mag a few time to seat it. At the end of the day of conceal carry I pull the magazine and the round has slid forward again, catches, and falls out when pulling the mag. Something NOT right here. I've tried two different Walther Magazines and Two different kinds of ammunition both Hornady Hollow points and Gold Speer FMJ. Both will do this.
I'm scared now to make this my daily carry piece because of this issue. I've had this Walther since I purchased it brand new in 2010, but only recently noticed the ammo migrating after racking or carrying it all day.

I can't really post a pic of it because it's all internal of the slide. I messed with it a little today, and I tried putting the mag in with a round chambered, a round sitting inside the slide (held the pistol upside down; hammer down; safety on; outside) and I couldn't get the magazine to fully insert.

Now what I've been noticing is that after a day of carry, the number 1 round in the magazine will slide forward enough and be just barely in the magazine. I was mistaken to say that it is floating free inside the pistol (1 chambered, 7 in the mag, and 1 just hanging out above the mag) because what I noticed is that when it has slid forward enough, upon releasing the magazine from the grip the round is immediately freed from the magazine and therefore gives the illusion that it was loose inside the pistol. If I were to fire the pistol in this condition, the round would be freed from the magazine as the slide operated back, probably causing a malfunction since it is not ejected, but just let free from its holding posistion in the magazine.

I hope I explained this well enough to understand. Here's a video. Obviously with the slide open the round falls to the floor. With it closed, it would just fall out of the mag well with the mag. While shooting, this could be disastrous.
YouTube - Pk

I measured the mag and the straight section is right at 12/32. The curled in part is 9/32.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Pk380 (sold my original to my brother when he moved as he didn't have anything at the time due to him having to sell off most of his firearms during a divorce) I literally just got the new one today and it's doing the same thing my original did and the OP talks about. The top round seems to walk forward in the magazine some. I got the firearm home and cleaned, and lubed her up loaded the magazine got my IWB holster and headed to my other brother's house to drop some stuff off to him.

Took out the new Pk380 and was dropping the mag and about to clear the chamber so he could take a look and when dropping the mag the first round in the magazine just freely drops right out.

Anyone know a fix for this issue?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts