Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been suggested to me in another thread when i asked about ammo for my SW99 40CAL to check out ammoman.com. I checked the site out and have some questions.
Obviously for shooting at the range id like to purchase as cheap as possible. Ive heard of low quality bullets being bad for guns though and of course wouldnt want anything that would do that. The 40 S/W WOLF 180 GRAIN POLYMER COATING NON CORROSIVE COPPER JACKETED STEEL CASE was the cheapest i found on that site along with a full metal jacket 180 grain not in stock at the moment, would these be suitable for range shooting?
Second is for real world defense what would be suitable? It seems that jacketed hollow points are very popular, is there a certain grain that would be best?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I would not buy Wolf Ammo.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy the Winchester White Box. Or, if you have an Academy Sports nearby - go buy CCI Blazer. U on't find it any cheaper usually - not by the time U pay to ship it. And, these are good quality ammo brands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wolf brand isn't the highest in quality - try to stay away from it imho.  Diiiirtaaay too!

I hit up either Academy or Sportsman Warehouse and get the yellow 250 box of Remington UMCs.  Runs about 35 bucks.  Never any issues and quality control is pretty great.  Winchester is about the same on every level, but they never have any multipacks when I'm looking.  Wally World always is pretty good $ wise, and most times cheaper.  I just don't like going there.  People stare when you are carrying several boxes out and it's all about image.  Ha!    

No real issues with CCI, but I never liked the CCI Blazer.  It always seemed really dirty to me, but for a range shooter, it's decent.  It may be just me, but the CCIs always seemed to creep around a target.  But like I said, could just be me.

For when I'm not at the range, I've got Federal Hydroshok 135s that I load up.    

Edit*** Sorry, you said 40.  I was thinking 9mm, but either way, the brands are the same, just different calibers and a wee bit of a price difference.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there a certain grain that is best?
There is no definitive answer for this. People argue about which caliber is best (9mm, 40, 45 etc ) so determining a bullet weight in each caliber is even more interesting!

I generally use CCI Blazer or Winchester White Box for practice (cheapest 'good' ammo) and Corbon for defensive loads(highest velocities but more recoil). It is best to practice with what you carry but most people can't afford $1/rnd ammo for a range session.

Remember that lots of expert people have different answers so just read it all and have fun!

Wolf steel case is the cheapest you'll find but the casings expand too much and the steel over time will wear your steel gun faster than brass or aluminum...just what I have read.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dylan99 @ Dec. 06 2006,5:15)]It has been suggested to me in another thread when i asked about ammo for my SW99 40CAL to check out ammoman.com. I checked the site out and have some questions.
Obviously for shooting at the range id like to purchase as cheap as possible. Ive heard of low quality bullets being bad for guns though and of course wouldnt want anything that would do that. The 40 S/W  WOLF 180 GRAIN POLYMER COATING NON CORROSIVE COPPER JACKETED STEEL CASE was the cheapest i found on that site along with a full metal jacket 180 grain not in stock at the moment, would these be suitable for range shooting?
Second is for real world defense what would be suitable? It seems that jacketed hollow points are very popular, is there a certain grain that would be best?
I have always found Winchester White box the best quality for the buck, the 100 packs at Walmart.

As far as bullet weight for defensive hollowpoints, there are only opinions. I think it depends on what you are using it for. For home defense I like lightweight, easily fragmenting bullets so they don't overpenetrate walls (Corbon 135 gr +p). For carry in the outdoors I like medium weight bonded bullets that will penetrate (Speer Gold Dot 165 gr +p, Remington Golden Saber 165 is my second choice). 185 gr bullets are ok for outside too, you gain weight, but lose some volicity, but are ok in 4" barrels or longer.

Really all the major manufacuters make excellent hollow point loadings, it is really personal preference. In all my shooting into mud tests over the years, the Gold Dot has always expanded the best and held together better than most of the loadings I have tried.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. So is the 165 grain sort of the all around use bullet? Is it preferred by most of you over the 180 grain for outdoor defense? I understand wanting to use the lighter bullet in doors, id imagine the 165 could be suitable for that as well, or generally speaking is the 135 the only grain youd want to shoot indoors?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is Winchester White box a hollow point? Will hollow point shoot any different from a solid lead nose? I know different ammo shoots differently, in general, but at 10 to 15 yards am I really going to see any difference? I ask because my primary use will be target shooting. And I also want to know what ammo to get for targets...which I can afford!
Also in general, copper jacket or not?

·
Registered
160 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scphil @ Dec. 08 2006,3:56)]Is Winchester White box a hollow point? Will hollow point shoot any different from a solid lead nose? I know different ammo shoots differently, in general, but at 10 to 15 yards am I really going to see any difference? I ask because my primary use will be target shooting. And I also want to know what ammo to get for targets...which I can afford!
Also in general, copper jacket or not?
WWB is ball ammo.

I have heard from a grand master USPSA competition shooter the hollowpoints are more accurate but I have not tried this myself.

Don't shoot lead ammo in a polygonal rifled gun ...can't remember if the P99 is polygonal or regular rifling so check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read somewhere which did have a technical reason why shooting lead in a P99 was ok. If i come across the source ill post it. I purchased 165 grain Winchester white box and went to the range, seem to work well. I do have a problem with my sights, there not adjusted correctly, and i dont have the specific flathead to adjust them. Its a sw99 40cal. Anyone know where i can buy tool to do it?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yes, you can shoot lead in the P99. One of my favorite reloads uses a 170 grain laser cast bullet.

As for personal defense, find out what your local police departments are using. The ones around here use 165 gr. Golden sabers. That way if you ever have to use your pistol to save your life, you can show that you are using the same thing as the local police departments. I was told this would help your case if it ever went to court. Don't know if that's true, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts