Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. Long and short: LOVE my 45 M2 and want a saddle set so I started looking into the Kidon and Triarii to get a 5" Match and make the M2 the "long gun". Problem - only 1 aftermarket barrel company will even remark on a 16" Walther barrel... for a "roughly estimated" $2.5k.
Anyone ridden this bull yet?

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
Nope......you're the first. Let me get this straight.....you want to put a 16" barrel on a PPQ? What's a saddle set?

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
What's a saddle set?
And you are from Texas??? Long barreled pistols to be carried in the saddle holster. At least that is the only ones I've heard of. Like the Colt Walker...
I'm wondering if a 16" barrel would even cycle. That would be a heavy lift during the cycle.

I'm also thinking about the opening at the front of my Triarii. One would need to make careful measurements to make sure the barrel could cycle inside the Triarii.

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
Yeah, you know the barrel moves rearward, then the rear end drops down then back up then the barrel moves forward again. I'm just trying to picture how much of an arc the end of the barrel is going to make during the cycling. I guess I could use a 3/8" wooden dowel, slim it down for a snug fit in the barrel, whack er' off at 16" and then do a little slide rackin' and watch the end of that dowel move up and down.

Bottom line, I don't think a 16 inch barrel is gonna work in a PPQ. Maybe a 'straight blow back' pistol would work...barrel is stationary and only the slide moves back and forth.

A 9mm AR pistol would be a cheaper build.....and you can pretty much have any barrel length you want.

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
I like this 9mm AR. 9mm AR Pistols Archives - nsfcustomguns

They're using a CMMG upper which features a 'Delay Radial Blowback' system. Can get it with a regular stock or a folding stock.

Or they also offer just the upper. I believe they're out now cuz I bought the last one. I'm sure they'll get more in.

BUT, everybody and their seester is making and selling AR parts/kits/caliber conversions...etc.

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
Yeah but it isn't a long barreled saddled mounted PPQ. The whole point is building a long barrel PPQ. Do you think it is even a workable idea?
I keep running up against the idea of the barrel flopping up and down. Even if it would cycle, it will play merry hob with follow up shots.

So fart do you think it is even possible? Get out your dowels and start calculating, I'll look at my Triarii and do some figuring with my 4" Q.

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
I really don't think it'd be possible to get the gun to cycle.....too much weight and not enough energy to make it work...not to mention that barrel floppin' up and down. It might work as a 'single shot'. Then you'd have to stop and clear the jam and hand cycle the slide.

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
I'll just post 'one' picture. This little 9mm was fun to put together and even more fun to shoot. Since I took this picture, I put a Sig Romeo 5 on it. I'm using that red dot on a few of my firearms.....its cheap and it works.....and has auto on/off.

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
How about porting the barrel? Save a boat load of weight...you'd still have "FBS" (floppy barrel syndrome aka: old fart's problem) but porting might allow enough weight loss to get it to cycle especially with +P loads...

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
Well, porting is based upon pressures and orifice size (ok, no jokes about my girl friend). What is needed is a hole that will provide maximum velocity. Get the hole too big and you start loosing velocity, too small and its too restricting....you gotta get it just the right size....and that won't be very big.

Try this experiment. Pick up a piece of 2" diameter pipe and blow in one end while holding your hand about an inch from the other end.....did you feel anything? Now pick up a straw and do the same thing. Did you feel that?

All of that to say that porting that 16" barrel isn't going to remove very much weight.

As for +P, that'll help move things rearward, but then the RSA has to push all that weight back forward into battery, while scraping the top round from the mag and shoving it into the chamber. If it makes it that far (it won't though) its still going to reach that critical point at about 3/8" before batter where the rear of the barrel cams up and the rim of the case is forced up under the extractor claw. That's the point where we see some Q's chokin'.....but that can usually be attributed to limp wristing.

I just don't think this is a viable idea. Time for plan B.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think that will work either. Too much mass forward of the muzzle to swing the arc due to the tilting barrel.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
  1. Long and short: LOVE my 45 M2 and want a saddle set so I started looking into the Kidon and Triarii to get a 5" Match and make the M2 the "long gun". Problem - only 1 aftermarket barrel company will even remark on a 16" Walther barrel... for a "roughly estimated" $2.5k.
Anyone ridden this bull yet?
For that kind of money, you can buy a barrel full of 9mm carbines, like the Kel-Tec Sub2000.

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
Didn't think porting would work but it was a shot...possibly a titanium alloy barrel would do the trick but it would really cost.

Titanium would be too soft...

I think this will remain WT's pipe dream.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It might be doable if you can find a smith to make one. When I was looking at the carbine conversions a while back. I found some videos of guys using long barrels (16") on Glocks to make it legal. Of course, that's all gone away with the ATF ruling on braces. But if you look around on Youtube, some of those videos are still there. I figure, if it'll work on a Glock, it should work on a Walther. I'm betting that a longer barreled pistol adapted for the 22TCM would be pretty interesting.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
IGB Austria makes 16" Glock Barrels.

They work with the CAA Micro Roni, Fab Defense K-POS, and the MCK Chassis Systems that are popular overseas. Just remove the barrel shroud, to give the barrel enough room to tilt up and down.

Whether or not IGB makes 16" PPQ barrel, no idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts