Walther Forums banner

Buffalo Bore +P In 9mm PPS M1?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  CA SURVIVOR 
#1 ·
I carry a 9mm PPS M1. While in the woods, I want to carry Buffalo Bore +P ammo. BB states: This 9mm load is rated @ +P pressures (not +P+) and as such is safe to use in any/all 9mm chambered pistols that are in normal operating condition. My PPS has approx.700 rounds thru it and is in excellent condition.

Due to the cost of each round, I will NOT be using it as practice ammo. I will probably purchase 50 round, run 25-30 thru the PPS to ensure that it cycles properly. Then use it as my carry ammo when hiking/backpacking.

Your opinions will be appreciated.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

#2 ·
Should work just fine. Walther 9mm's are rated for +P so I wouldn't worry about it.

I would shoot at least a magazines worth through the gun to make sure it works first though. Guns are weird so I make sure any ammo like that runs first before I carry it.

#3 ·
From the brochure: “Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with
standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics of your PPS
pistol or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for
more frequent service.
“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in WALTHER firearms. This marking on
the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the
designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may
vary significantly as to the pressures generated.

It does not say specifically that they are +P rated. This is why I am asking

#6 ·
I finally found some old threads on this site. The prevailing feeling was that they are fine for +P but it will cause more wear than standard loads.....stands to reason. But Walther does NOT recommend +P+. I will be putting enough +P down range to ensure my PPS handles them. Hopefully that will be the only time I ever have occasion to fire them!!

#9 ·
I carry a 9mm PPS M1. While in the woods, I want to carry Buffalo Bore +P ammo. BB states: This 9mm load is rated @ +P pressures (not +P+) and as such is safe to use in any/all 9mm chambered pistols that are in normal operating condition. My PPS has approx.700 rounds thru it and is in excellent condition.

Due to the cost of each round, I will NOT be using it as practice ammo. I will probably purchase 50 round, run 25-30 thru the PPS to ensure that it cycles properly. Then use it as my carry ammo when hiking/backpacking.

Your opinions will be appreciated.

9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN Pistol and Handgun Bullets Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
First of all I will buy your PPS M1. Secondly, Walther generally builds to NATO standards and NATO 9 x 19 is in the +P pressure area. The pistol names Polizei pistole Kriminal PPK, Polizei Pistole Schmal PPS, Polizei Pistole Quick Defense sorry don't Deutsche for quick defense lol.

#10 ·
BB says the ammo is +P. +P is an SAAMI standard rating ( known pressures), where +P+ is not ( could vary and be excessively high). This +P+ could be exceeding high pressure so do not use it .
Walther manual shows +P is allowed but cautions continuous use could cause or result in more wear of the PPS.
If you have confidence in the buffaloe bore product ( not exceeding SAAMI +P rating then limited use would be OK .
As you plan to use in defense of needed it is advisable to test enough rounds at the range with the intended magazines to assure it will cycle in you PPS.

#12 ·
+P+ is subgun ammo and is much higher pressure than the PPS (M1/M2) can handle.. defensive loads (+P) are fine, but will overwork the recoil spring to the point of frame battering if you use it for your range ammo.. you will not have any problems running boxes of it through the PPS.. If you're intent on running 100's of +P through it, inspect and replace the recoil spring assembly every 300-500 rounds..

#16 ·
on the previous ammo shortage, what I did, is load the HP and a ball round, fire it, if the HP chambered, it worked then as it should, unload that round with out firing it and repeat, its time consuming, but it saves on unavailable ammo, and money, end the range time by using the four or five HPs that were used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.