Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
would be interesting to hear the story behind it...
.40S&W.... I would assume a hot reload

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's hard to tell, but the bullet in the mag looks like a .40...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ah yes, so it would seem. That's what I get for getting on the puter before coffee!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would be VERY suspicious of this photo if it is trying to represent a P99 that had a KB.

Unless I am not seeing correctly ?? The slide looks in perfect shape as well as the chamber area of the barrel. Most of the time [ and I said most ] a KB will show damage to the slide and chamber which is where the trouble usually starts.

Also has anyone ever seen a trigger guard snapped in half like the one in the photo. I looked at all the other examples....some showing some pretty severe damage, but the trigger guards were intact.

I have seen frames twisted and broken, but this photo of the P99 just doesn't pass the smell test IMHO. Very unusual for the magazine and "Bullets" to remain intact after a KB failure of this magnitude.

Unless I am able to see some better photos of this P99, I will stick with my original thought -- NO WAY this damage was caused by a "bad" bullet.

H&K, followed by the Walther are some of the strongest semi-autos on the market - a "fully" supported chamber will do that for a pistol !!

JF.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I recall having seen this picture before and if I'm not mistaken the damage was the result of the gun "being dropped on the ground" by a cop. Bearing in mind the nature of the damage I would believe that the gun fell out of his holster or his hand and fell down on concrete from at least 50 feet or more while standing on the roof of a building or something ? The comments at the time suggested that the gun fell from less then 5 feet but I find this very hard to believe. Maybe the guys involved were not willing to reveal the real circumstances ?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The comments at the time suggested that the gun fell from less then 5 feet
Knowing the stringent safety standards of Walther I don’t believe this for a second.

I doubt that it would happen at fifty feet either unless it hit on the heel of the grip just right.
I say that it may have happened from five feet if “Bubba” was on the other end of the gun. Say he trips and falls and jams the muzzle into the ground to break his fall while retaining his grip, snapping it in two from the weight….only a guess. No Kaboom here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a load of bull.

That gun WAS dropped or run over. No way was that a Kb! If is was, where is the blood, that kind of failure if it were real would had to have removed a finger or 2.

Anyway. it is bogus. just broke frame.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks to me like bubba cranked it down WAAAY to hard in a vice.

Maybe trying to alter the mag release or trigger guard in some way.

I don't think KB, for the reasons already stated. Plus, if the P99 has a weak point, it is the sights. If a KB caused that, I would think the rear sight would have been broken.

I would definately like to see some other angles of the gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts