Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2500 rounds of factory 9mm ammo, a portion of my frame broke off of my beloved Walther P-99!

The scenario is as follows: The pistol is standard P99 with no alterations. The serial number is in the 068XXX range. Today, while brushing the top of the frame around the fire control mechanism with a toothbrush, a small piece of metal and plastic fell out of the frame and on to the workbench. I examined the piece and noted the the metal piece was a small pin with a partial mushroom head. This piece was partially surrounded by black plastic. The plastic had fractured from the frame.

In examining the frame, I noted that the piece came from the top right portion of the fire control mechanism as one looks at the frame from the top. The trigger bar runs directly inline and under the area where the pin and the small piece of plastic juts out. The partial mushroom head bears against the top of the trigger bar and appears to provide a camming action to the coil spring loaded sear downward to release the striker. The trigger bar appears to partially hold the frame fragment and mushroom pin in place, but it does fall out when the tension from the trigger bar is removed.

Has anyone else run across this problem? I might suggest to P99 users to examine their pistol frames in this area to prevent problems. If the plastic appears to have a fracture, it may fall out of the frame or pending an immediate failure.

Obviously, I am not pleased with this breakage. It is going to WaltherAmerica this next week for analysis and repair, but I don't care to have a mis-matched serial numbered pistol. I will let all know how the process goes and discuss my repair options will them prior to accepting an unsatisfactory frame replacement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The same part broke in the same place on my .40 P99. I replaced the firing assembly (which it is part of ) for about $60US. I had written it off to a series of reload-squibs, but maybe not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This post is long overdue, but I must salute the crew at WaltherAmerica/Smith & Wesson!!!

I sent the pistol back to Customer Service for repair, per their instructions. In exactly 8 days, I had the pistol back in my hand, repaired and functional. Cost was absolutely zero.

The sear and the fire control housing had broken and due to the close tolerances, I couldn't discern the housing from the frame. Not at all a common problem, but if it could happen, it usually does to me.

While broken guns are a huge frustration, WaltherAmerica made it right and in a hurry. They rate a 10-X from me. Thanks Walther and WaltherAmerica!

·
Registered
471 Posts
My T fine! To bad about it breaking, but I am sooo happy they fixed it as fast and for free... Thanks so much for following up on your original post... I was hoping it would turn out like this!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts