Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a P22 Saturday and shot a couple of hundred rounds through it. I was very happy with it; however, the stabilizer snuck forward a bit so I thought I would disassemble the gun, clean it, oil it, and see if the stabilizer could be put flush again.

I went to the manual and was told to remove the worm screw on top of the stabilizer. I carefully loosened it, but at about half way out it was apparent that it was hopelessly stripped.

HOWEVER! Mine is a 5" Target and I have a 3.4" barrel kit on order. So my questions are:

1. When my 3.4" barrel arrives, can I still install it even with the stripped worm screw? I would be tickled pink if I could send the 5" barrel back for repairs but still be able to use the gun with the new barrel.

2. My new weapon DID NOT come with a barrel wrench: will I be able to install the 3.4" barrel without it? And if not, does the barrel kit comes with one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FOLLOW UP

I spoke with Walther and the new barrel cannot be installed without removing the stabilizer. Since I cannot remove the stabilizer with a stripped worm screw, it has to go back to Walther.

My big fear now when I get the new gun back from Walther:

When I go to install the 3.4 inch barrel kit, will the worm screw strip again? I sure hope not, that would be bad.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
You could always send the 3.4 barrel along and ask them to install it while your P22 is there.......
I don't have a P22 so I might not be of much help..... but there has to be a way to get that screw out other than sending it to Walther....I bet it would be alot faster for them to send a replacement screw than for you to send in your P22....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also vote on getting that worm screw out yourself. The 3.4" barrel just slides in and has a barrel nut on the end. No need for any screws. Just make sure you don't have a CA model. I made a mistake in buying my first P22 as a CA model and being a CA, you cannot interchange barrels. So I did not get a barrel nut wrench because you physically cannot take the barrel off. But if that worm screw is stripped, some force from the opposite side or something to help pull on it (magnet) will get the good threads to catch and you can get it out of there. And a reminder, keep an eye on that 3.4" barrel nut so it stays tight when you get it on. If you don't keep an eye on it, it may back out, and thats not a good ending.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just make sure you don't have a CA model. I made a mistake in buying my first P22 as a CA model and being a CA, you cannot interchange barrels.
Evidently the CA refers to CAlifornia legal.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=70351&pp=25

This old High Road thread came to my attention after reading your post and searching Google.

My state never fails to amaze me. Sure glad I didn't order that short-barrel-conversion for my wife's P22 from Walther.:mad:

Russell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same Boat !

I got my p22 5" TARGET MODEL around the holidys. I used it several months later and the stabilizer came loose after a couple hundred rounds. My worm screw was stripped also. I don't know if its the worm screw thats stripped or the chinsy allen wrench. My accuracy was absolutely HORRID!!! I brought it back to the gun shop and off it went to Smith and Wesson for warranty work. When it came back from warranty work they took my manual, went to the page about disassembly, and they highlighted the part about tightening the barrel, worm screw, and stabilizer bolts. :confused: I was also told they barrel was replaced. I just put a couple hundred rounds through it and the worm screw came loose again. I tightened it up and guess what? The worm screw is stripped again. Now what do I do???? Back to them again? I think so. I got the 5" barrel for accuracy. I'm thinking of getting the shorter barrel so I don't need to play with the stabilizer anymore. Please keep me posted on what happens to your accuracy when you switch to the shorter barrel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"I'm thinking of getting the shorter barrel so I don't need to play with the stabilizer anymore." -Charlie

That's what I have done. The shorter configuration is arguably just as accurate anyway.

lima-charlie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually, when I purchased the pistol it was being sold with just the short barrel, so I had the dealer add in the 5" with stabilizer for a complete setup. I think this cost around $70. I wish that I had that money back.

I was disapointed with constant fiddling with the stabilizer and I did everything I read that would remedy the probelm. The barrel nut was also coming loose and adding to the stabilizer issue.

So...I changed permanently to 3.4 barrel and blue loctite'd the barrel nut. This has made for a great solution to the problem. The medium strength loctite has kept the barrel nut on good for 400+ rounds and there is no sign of the problem there reoccuring.

Now, I have not ever changed back to the 5" config. but should I choose to do so, I will switch to the longer barrel, loctite the nut, and attach the stabilizer in the manner suggested by the "fix" experts and loctite the allen screws.
Maybe(?) it will stay on then.

The stabilizer was a bad design and I think that most people agree with that opinion. It looks good but it is an aggravation. I am surprised that it has not been redesigned with some kind of pin system or something like that.

Other than the above mentioned problem, my Blue/Grey P22 has fired over 1500 total rounds with not so much as a hicup. I love mine, and the 3.4" config with the laser always attached gets a lot of attention and just plain looks cool.

You should look around for the short barrel on Google, Ebay, Gunbroker and you will find an inexpensive one.

lima-charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts