Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know that there are a lot of mixed reviews on this gun, but despite that I bought a brand new one earlier this week. I just had the opportunity to fire it this evening. I put 100 rounds of winchester through it and I couldn't believe how accurate it was. I shot very very well with this gun. However... I experienced one jam after about 80 rounds. Please note that I did clean this gun before firing, and that this was the only jam out of 100. I do not have the level of experience that many on this board have and do not get to shoot as often as I'd like. Is one round out of 100 a bad sign? Should it be sent back? It could have been my wrist as I shot, I am not sure. I do know that after the jam was cleared (very difficult), it shot the remaining twenty rounds without a hitch. I was so excited about this pistol until this jam. I plan on buying more ammo tomorrow and giving it another go. I guess I am looking for some reassurance that this is not that big a deal, and part of the break in period. This gun is, by the way, one of the newly designed ppk's by Smith and Wesson with the extended beaver tail grip. Recoil was not an issue in the slightest, and the gun was more than a pleasure to shoot.

Thanks for an insight you folks could provide,
Rob I.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Today I went to the range with 3 boxes of winchester winclean fmj's and one box of winchester supreme hollow points. I shot all three boxes of the fmj's (150 rounds), and 12 rounds of the hollowpoints. All fed fine, no failures at all. It was, as yesterday, extraordinarily accurate and tons of fun to shoot. So, 262 total rounds fired, with one failure in the first 80 rounds. Is it safe to conclude reliability at this point? I do think that there could have been a bit of operator error on the failure. Something tells me that I may have put eight rounds in the 7 round mag, but that seems impossible. It could have been limp wrist as well. Not sure, wish it never happened, but no sign of it today. Feedback would be great. I absolutely love this pistol. My other guns are a Glock 19, Sig 239, and a Ruger sp101 in .357. Honestly, I enjoyed shooting this one more than all the others. Including the sig

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Really you need to shoot a minimum of 200 rds to break a gun in, so if your on malfunction was at 80 then that is very accaptable. I think it was probably how much you let it recoil, (limp wrist). Smaller guns are more finicky, so practice, practice, practice . I am glad to hear a good report on a S&W ppk/s, quality control has been a problem for them. You can get a lemon or a steak, sounds like yours is a steak.

·
Registered
83 Posts
After the break-in I would regard ZERO jams the only number I would accept (yes, I'm anal).

A gun can't be expected to fire a wide variety of ammo and do so with the greatest applum. But if you find a load or two or three that fires 100% of the time, great. That would be the only load I would fire through it.

Also, did you lubricate the slide rails, bbl. hood, outer muzzle radius and under the slide where the hammer would make contact? Just a few drops at each point and it should work fine.

Here's a great link on the subject:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/cleaning.shtml

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'd say you have a winner also. I've seen a lot of the S&W made PPK's and PPK/S that have had problems. Having one jam out of 200+ first rounds is acceptable. You'll probably have a great running pistol for years to come.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Might want to run some more service ammo through it. I had a very similer thing go on with mine. I bought it a few months ago. One jam in the first 100 rounds of white box, zero failures in 150 rounds of Remington Green Box, fed two full mags of hydra shock, then jamed on the third mag twice. Jamed all over the place on Corbons. I'd say 2 boxes of carry ammo (40 rounds) minimum. just my .02, i think I got a lemon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

I made a trip to the range tonight and put 149 rounds through my PPK/s. I did have one failure to eject at about round 72. It was a totally different kind of jam this time. When I went to clear it, the empty case was mangled up front and a live round fell out as well. It functioned perfectly for the remaining 77 rounds. I am crushed that this happened, but I do remember noting that something seemed off when I loaded the mag, but didn't think much of it at the time. I've shot 411 rounds through this pistol and so far have had 2 failures. One seemingly double feed, and one failure to eject. What's everyone's thought on this one?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.
Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update: went to the range and had two failures to feed within 60 rounds. Packed it up and took it right back to the gun store. I told the owner that I don't trust it at this point and would like for Smith & Wesson to just give me a new pistol. Two of the guys in the shop looked at it as they were filling out the paperwork to send it back and they found what looks like to be a burr on the left side of the ramp. They said that's probably causing the problems and would be an easy fix. We'll see. I am going to write them a letter asking that, if that really is the problem, and it's an easy fix I would like them to test the pistol extensively before sending it back. Also, if I have as much as one more jam, I want a new pistol. This really is a shame. I really liked that gun quite a bit. I shot very well with it. Hopefully either Smith will fix it perfectly, or will give me a new gun (that they comb over and test extensively). One thing to add. Every failure was with that mag with the finger extension. I didn't want to end up spending more money to see if the other one had a failure, so I just sent the whole thing back. Hopefully smith makes this right and I will not have any further issues with the pistol.

Rob

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your Smith made PPK/S. After a recent call to Smithy, and a great experience with them on the telephone, I'm hoping they'll take care of your and get you fixed or get you a new pistola.

As for my Smith-made PPK/S, I'm lucky I guess, I've had ZERO problems with it. It's my favorite gun (sharing first place with my P99).

-stunks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to here that to but I thought you ought to be sure. Mines back at Smith right now, I will say they paid the shipping had the fedex guy pick it up at my door etc. I'm thye same way, it IS a GREAT shooter...I don't want to give it up, but if it's all ate up I'm gonna try for an SW99C, if they can give it to me for the PPK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts