Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED: Brand new PPQ M2 9mm light primer strikes, weak pencil test

Hi, new here and just got back from shooting my new PPQ. I had light primer strikes every 3-4 rounds. Sometimes there was no indentation on the primer at all, leading me to believe the firing pin block was not always being depressed. When I got home I looked down the magwell while dry firing and did see the FPB plunger being depressed every time, though I'm not sure how far it needs to go to clear the striker so I suppose it might not be going far enough. I also removed the striker assembly and cleaned the striker channel, but it was pretty clean and had no obstructions.

When doing a pencil test, the pencil barely moves at all when hit by the striker. Just a very short, almost imperceptible jump. Not sure if this is normal as I have no other handguns.

Ammo was 115 grain S&B, which apparently is known for having hard primers. I will try again tomorrow with different ammo. In the mean time, is there anything else I can check to see what the problem is?

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Hold the pistol with a 'firm' grip and after each round, look at the slide to make sure its all the way forward.....completely forward, prior to firing the next round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hold the pistol with a 'firm' grip and after each round, look at the slide to make sure its all the way forward.....completely forward, prior to firing the next round.
I will definitely keep an eye on that because this would explain the failures with no primer impact, as the striker would be blocked by the FPB.

I did have quite a few primers that were impacted but did not fire, so I'm not sure that's the whole explanation though. Would an OOB trigger pull allow even a light primer strike?

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
Would an OOB trigger pull allow even a light primer strike?

Yes.....pulling the trigger with the slide out of batter can result in a light to no primer strike. Depends on how far the slide is out of battery, as measured in fractions of an inch or even RCH's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did the pencil test on my PPQs. They launched the pencil clear out of the barrel with a few inches to spare pointing straight up. My hammer fired Sig, launches it out by about a foot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I fired 350 rounds of the same ammo (S&B 115 grain FMJ) today with 0 malfunctions. I'm not sure what the problem was exactly, but I think it centered around poor grip and lubrication causing it to not return to battery. Here's what I did differently:

1.) I put in the medium backstrap. I had used the small backstrap due to my small hands, but I think it was too small. The medium let me get a higher and better grip, which I noticed right away under recoil. It was more controllable and the gun felt like it shifted less in my hands.

2.) Lube. Last time I used Hoppe's Elite gun oil and applied it according to the manual. The manual steers you away from using a lot of lube, but I think this is insufficient. This time I used Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm, which is a grease instead of an oil. I also used more than the manual implies is necessary. It was a night and day difference. Even racking the slide by hand was noticeably easier. I suspect the slide was under more friction last time and was less forgiving of a bad grip. Now with less friction it cycled better even if I cocked up the grip a little.

3.) I used Bob Vogel's grip. Last time I used the more traditional grip method of closing off the gap on the gun's grip with my support hand palm, basically keeping my palms together. This time I got my support hand way out in front and high, canting both hands together with a very tight pinch. This is probably the single biggest factor in the reliability improvement because the gun moved very little under recoil.

And I can say now that this gun is laser beam accurate. I was just stunned at how well it shot.

·
Registered
978 Posts
So I fired 350 rounds of the same ammo (S&B 115 grain FMJ) today with 0 malfunctions. I'm not sure what the problem was exactly, but I think it centered around poor grip and lubrication causing it to not return to battery. Here's what I did differently:

1.) I put in the medium backstrap. I had used the small backstrap due to my small hands, but I think it was too small. The medium let me get a higher and better grip, which I noticed right away under recoil. It was more controllable and the gun felt like it shifted less in my hands.

2.) Lube. Last time I used Hoppe's Elite gun oil and applied it according to the manual. The manual steers you away from using a lot of lube, but I think this is insufficient. This time I used Cherry Balmz Black Rifle Balm, which is a grease instead of an oil. I also used more than the manual implies is necessary. It was a night and day difference. Even racking the slide by hand was noticeably easier. I suspect the slide was under more friction last time and was less forgiving of a bad grip. Now with less friction it cycled better even if I cocked up the grip a little.

3.) I used Bob Vogel's grip. Last time I used the more traditional grip method of closing off the gap on the gun's grip with my support hand palm, basically keeping my palms together. This time I got my support hand way out in front and high, canting both hands together with a very tight pinch. This is probably the single biggest factor in the reliability improvement because the gun moved very little under recoil.

And I can say now that this gun is laser beam accurate. I was just stunned at how well it shot.
Everything said above is exactly the same thing I did and it's all true.
I use grease on the rails and barrel lug not oil.
The Bob Vogel grip allows your support hand fingers to get a better grip and squeeze tighter than the traditional grip. It works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything said above is exactly the same thing I did and it's all true.
I use grease on the rails and barrel lug not oil.
The Bob Vogel grip allows your support hand fingers to get a better grip and squeeze tighter than the traditional grip. It works.

Yeah the Vogel grip makes a ton of sense. The closer to the centerline of the bore and to the muzzle you grip the gun, the less it will move. Trying to control recoil with your palms is probably the least efficient place you can do that, and it was definitely affecting me last time.

The only thing I will change about this gun is the sights because I have a hard time seeing them. Ordered a set of Dawson black rear/fiber optic front sights so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Glad you seem to have resolved your PPQ reliability issue. Grease = metal to metal & Oil = bare metal protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts