Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Just got a PPQ my first .45 and my first not used/hand down gun and I can't wait to take it out to the range. Just wondering about this wear on the barrel by the serial and caliber; I understand that five test shots were fired at the factory but this just looks like someone at Cabels, where I bought the pistol, played with it.

What do you guys think? Every other part of the gun looks pristine so I'm scratching my head.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That looks like where the barrel hood rubs against the inside of the slide as it drops down to unlock the action as the whole thing cycles to the rear. You may very well see some similar wear on the inside of the slide where the barrel hood contacts it. What I see is a very dry barrel. It might look worse than it is because of that.

A brand new weapon is going to have tight tolerances, and some changes to the finish can appear pretty quickly where parts rub against each other very quickly. What you are seeing is probably the result of the test firing and several people opening the slide to inspect the chamber at various points.

Also, it is hard to tell from the photos, but what looks to be wear could be some residual substance. Try rubbing it with a cloth and some oil to see what it looks like afterwards. I have had new weapons show up dry as a bone, and with some CLP rubbed into them, some of what appeared to have been wear turned out to have been a discolored residue of some sort.

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
Welcome to the Forums aRT!
What you are seeing is perfectly normal. I believe all my Qs came from the box with similar wear. Certainly my Q45 did. You'll notice wear on the barrel as well.
I just pulled my Q45 out of my holster to look at the amount of wear on the barrel through the slide and it does not appear to have gotten any worse and I've run many thousands of rounds through my Q.

This isn't a defect in workmanship. It is just a result of the design.
My weapons get exposed to extreme conditions daily, heat, humidity, salt air and water, dirt, sweat, sand, mud and so on and none of them show any sign of corrosion.

The guys at the store were not shooting your "baby". The only rounds through it were the 5 shot at Ulm. It is time for you to run a few hundred rounds through the Q and give us a range report.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, you input makes sense but you can't blame me for asking; I would have though the Tenifer finish would have taken a bit more of a beating even on that part of the barrel. Oh and Think1st, I also thought that it could just be gunk so those photos are after a hose down with Remington Action cleaner and some lite oiling.

Planning on taking it to the range likely tonight so I'll report back soon.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Weapon Sheild Grease but any quality grease will work, in holding down these interfacing marks on barrel.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well the black that we see isn't Tenifer. The black is just a stain they put on the gun to make it look pretty. Tenifer is a actually a salt bath treatment done to the metal that leaves the metal a dirty gray color.

While I'm not a huge fan of wikipedia its a good place to start learning about what Tenifer coating is. Ferritic nitrocarburizing - Wikipedia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhh I see; thanks @SpaceGunner.

As per the wiki: "An additional step can be added to the nitrocarburizing process called postoxidation. When properly performed, postoxidation creates a layer of black oxide (Fe3O4), that greatly increases the corrosion resistance of the treated substrate while leaving an aesthetically attractive black color."

·
Registered
113 Posts
You indicated the gun was purchased new at Cabela's. Could it have been a display model that had been handled and racked by customers?

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
I've shot about 1000 rounds through the Q5 I bought new in November. Mine does not have that wear on the barrel.
You are lucky...I own a number of Qs purchased new over the span of years the Q has been produced and all show this type of wear to some extent.
As I told the OP. It isn't an issue. His weapon wasn't "messed with" at the store and I doubt he'll see much increase in that marking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You indicated the gun was purchased new at Cabela's. Could it have been a display model that had been handled and racked by customers?
The location that I went to didn't have a PPQ in .45 so I had them transfer one from another store which means I didn't even see it until days after it was already paid for (no refunds). When I did finally get to check my new PPQ I noticed the wear but though that its just some random crud that would easily clean off. To my annoyance it didn't hence why I posted the question on here.

I've shot about 1000 rounds through the Q5 I bought new in November. Mine does not have that wear on the barrel.
So while I don't own any guns with a black barrel my brother has a M&P in .45 and his barrels hood also has some scuffs on it though he's had it for years and likely also put tons of rounds though it; I think since Walther prints so much info on that section that people can't help to look at it and therefore notice the wear.

Since this post I've been to the range four times having shot over 600 rounds of four different ammo types and after a standard cleaning it the hood doesn't appear to be any different, which is good, but I can already see some small nicks on the slide where the spent ammo ejects but that's normal.

BTW I'm still planning on posting a range report but I've never written one before hence my hesitation. That said I'm really digging this Federal Syntech TSJ ammo; from having less recoil to it's clean burning, lead free primer, it not only felt good to fire in the PPQ but also didn't foul it up as much as traditional ammo does. For practice shooting I'd recommend you guys give it a shot! (pun not intended)

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
This is my Q45. I just pulled it from my holster and took this with my phone.
You see the similar wear on my barrel.
I have about 7,000 rounds through it now and around 5 years of EDC and duty carry. I wouldn't worry about the wear it won't get worse.

The lighting hides some of the wear but you can see it. The tenifer finish still keeps corrosion at bay and I'm satisfied that wear from the barrel on the slide is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
More a matter of the lighting...I'll pull the barrel later and get another image.

·
Registered
65 Posts
BTW I'm still planning on posting a range report but I've never written one before hence my hesitation. That said I'm really digging this Federal Syntech TSJ ammo; from having less recoil to it's clean burning, lead free primer, it not only felt good to fire in the PPQ but also didn't foul it up as much as traditional ammo does. For practice shooting I'd recommend you guys give it a shot! (pun not intended)
When you write a range report, just talk about what you'd want to hear about the weapon if someone were talking about something you'd never shot before. Describe the ammo used, and how much of each type shot, the targets, group sizes, trigger travel, creep, break, and reset, sight quality, location of controls and how they felt, how freely the magazines drop whether empty or full, and reliability. If you touch on those points, you'll give a pretty comprehensive picture of what shooting the pistol is like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts