Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...

My first time post & first time Walther owner... I bought a brand new Walther PPK/s .22 and picked it up today, took it home, stripped it, wiped down the excess oil & reassembled it... I loaded up some Traditions "snap caps" for it and proceeded to work the action & trigger... It functioned fine. With the pistol empty/mag out & pulled back the slide then released it, then moved the safety down to drop the hammer. moved the switch back up and attempted to pull the slide back & the slide only goes back 1/4" and stops... It wont go back any further. It's like somethings jams up inside preventing it from being pulled back... I removed the grips & poked around with a barrel lite, nothing... I've never seen anything like this.... any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought would be to bring it back to where I bought it.
Well I ordered it online from Bud's gun shop however once you sign the 4473 it's considered "used" & your's... Like I said, it functioned perfectly fine using snap caps at home, I havent even fired a round thru it...I racked the slide back, flipped the swtich down to decock/drop the hammer & flipped it back up & now the slide is locked, cant even pull it back no more than 1/4"... weird...

I sent walther C/S a emal this evening...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, was that frustrating but I did it... I got it to work again by flipping the safety on, cocking the hammer down all the way with my thumb while at the same time pulling the trigger back all the way & pulling the slide back I was able to pull the slide back...It took a few tries but wow...I field stripped it & did not see anything bent or damaged other than a small gouge in front of the barrel shroud where the recoil spring touches.. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow & put a couple hundred rounds thru it to break it in... maybe that will help it out...

wish me luck!

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Is this one of the Ft Smith marked .22 PPK/s? If so, wrong section, there is a section for the Ft. Smith Umarex pistol. It sounds like your recoil spring got caught between the barrel sleeve and muzzle of the slide. On a number of pistols the muzzle end of the spring is larger than the other end....it is made this way to stop the spring from getting jammed between the two parts. I'm not sure what the recoil spring in the Umarex version does. M1911

I had to go back and take a look myself, the new Umarex pistol section is at the top of the page you are on.....up with the FAQ section. Also two notches down under the PP section on the main Walther page.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Your post is now in the right section for the new .22LR PPK/S.
My PPk/s is the Ft. Smith one... I own a Bersa Thunder .380 & the recoil spring is narrower on one end then the other however on my PPK/s .22 both ends of the spring appear to be identical. I have not noticed or felt any difference betwen either end of the spring... From what I can tell, it is a good possibility that the spring may have got caught up in there.. If I were to order a replacement recoil spring from Wolff, are their springs have the muzzle end larger?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
RANGE REPORT!

Just got back in from the range.... First box I tried was Aguila "SuperExtra". Kid at the Academy told me it was high velocity but I seriously doubt that it is... It wouldn't even extract the empty.... next up was Remington 22 Thunderbolt and now the pistol came to life... Shot 100 trouble free fun filled rounds, most my wife doing the shooting. The pistol was a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As noted above...there is a SLIGHT difference in the diameter of the ends of the recoil spring---one end/opening of the recoil spring larger than the other end. You need to be sure that the SMALLER diameter end (slightly tighter fit) of the recoil spring goes onto the barrel first and 'seats' against the chamber 'shoulders'.

As a visual reminder of this....the next time you clean your PPK/S, clean the recoil spring thoroughly and wipe down the SMALLER END thoroughly with alcohol and apply a bit of contrasting spray paint to the last couple/few coils of this smaller end. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nope... both ends on this particular pistol are identical.

Here's a couple pics of my wife shooting "her" new Walther ppk/s .22. Did pretty good for a first timer :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a brand new ppk/s 22 with the same problem and was able to figure out the issue. The top of the slide has a slot that the front edge of catches the back end of the recoil spring. The end if at the top sticks up into the slot. The way I found to get the spring down to clear the edge of the slot is to jam a folded small zip tie. Its just the right thickness and has enough lead in to ramp the spring down when its pushed forward

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my BD date-coded Umarex PPK/S .22LR the spring ends are the same size, the spring is thin, and the ends are sloppily open. I found this thread searching for the stuck slide problem and used Change_in_stjoe's trick to get the slide to move, but I couldn't get it to move far enough to let me remove the slide. I ended up using a small giveaway-sized pocket screwdriver, reached in through the disassembly gap exposed by lowering the trigger guard, and pushing the recoil spring towards to muzzle. I only needed 1/4" or so before I could move the slide, and the pressure applied kept the spring from coming along and getting caught. I then crudely closed up the spring ends better, carefully positioned the loose end down on the frame side, and re-assembled. Voila! I too called Walther and they're sending a new spring - which I hope will be better finished!

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
RJWest....those must have been Remington Thunderbolts....never heard of Superbolts. Try some rem Golden Bullets when you get a chance. Bet those work fine. Not all 22 ammo works well in short barrel pistols with full slides. 1917

·
Registered
5 Posts
Voila! I too called Walther and they're sending a new spring - which I hope will be better finished!
Sorry, I forgot to update this. I quickly received the new spring from Walther at no charge. The invoice has note to the effect of "Gunsmith modify before shipment!" which IMNSHO goes a LONG way towards explaining things....

In any case, the new spring is nicely finished and fits identically in either orientation. It also functioned fine in a post-install range session and exhibited no binding or catching during a couple of post-install takedowns and reassemblies.

Pistol saved! Now if only I could do something about the VP70-challenging double-action trigger pull.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fast forward a couple years. I sold my PPk/s 22 to fund another "project". However I really liked shooting the PPk. It was a neat little shooter and now I regret selling the thing. I went out & picked up a new one this morning...

I would assume this is more or less the same as the one I had before? Any updates to the parts or construction? It seems very well built & sturdy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2nd? 3rd? recoil spring on my PPK/S 22LR is about 1mm smaller on the "back" end of the spring. That end of the spring is lapped, while the front is gapped.

Wish Walther would mention this in the handy-dandy (>sarc<) manual they include.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 2nd? 3rd? recoil spring on my PPK/S 22LR is about 1mm smaller on the "back" end of the spring. That end of the spring is lapped, while the front is gapped.

Wish Walther would mention this in the handy-dandy (>sarc<) manual they include.

FWIW. The Recoil spring on the BK Dated coded that I have has a short 90 degree bent end, on the spring where the bent end slides into a hole under the barrel shroud.

Hope the picture of the recoil spring attached shows that clearly.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
FWIW. The Recoil spring on the BK Dated coded that I have has a short 90 degree bent end, on the spring where the bent end slides into a hole under the barrel shroud.

Hope the picture of the recoil spring attached shows that clearly.

It does, thanks! I'll have to look at mine and see if the hole is there or not and maybe see if Walther will send the updated recoil spring...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts