Walther Forums banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This forum contains posts from PPQ owners showing a crack in the same place. The design of the P99 would seem to put less stress on this area. (P99 cracks I found mentioned here, seem to be the dust cover.)
Interesting, I think I may possibly own more PPQ's than anyone here and have never encountered this, I wonder if it was something going on with early models? I haven't seen the posts you mentioned but I will search now. Also were they RECIEVED this way? or they cracked after firing??

This forum contains posts from PPQ owners showing a crack in the same place. The design of the P99 would seem to put less stress on this area. (P99 cracks I found mentioned here, seem to be the dust cover.)
With the PDP as its' flagship pistol, one would expect Walther to snap this up ASAP and provide a new pistol.
I have a different opinion here.

There were absolutely zero reports of this here on this forum before aftermarket triggers were available that required the removal of the trigger pin/slide release, with the PPQ. The reasons why you may not see this as much on P99 pistols is because the vast majority of them did not come with the ambidextrous slide release levers, and there would be less incentive to install these triggers in a DA/SA pistol, because you would lose the DA trigger pull.

Then we agree. (Regardless of the reason, the PDP/PPQ frame can fail in this area whereas failure in this same area appears unlikely in the P99.)
Respectfully, you are kind of washing over the main reason why we see these failures in PPQ/PDPs.

If a person attempts to install some aftermarket part onto their gun and trashes it, should Walther pay for that?

Once again, this is a hypothetical. I am not accusing the OP of this.

If I attempt to install some aftermarket supercharger onto my Toyota and trash it, will Toyota fix it/replace it?

It's at least a question and more timely than ever due to the popularity of upgrading parts and adding accessories.

What are your thoughts on this?

Then we agree. (Regardless of the reason, the PDP/PPQ frame can fail in this area whereas failure in this same area appears unlikely in the P99.)
I suspect that absolutely any polymer frame can be broken if it is whacked hard enough no matter what model or make it is. The one this thread is about was apparently broken at the factory so the disappointment here is that it got past QC.

The way I see it . . .

If the broken frame slipped past QC, then Walther should be pretty embarrassed and should replace the pistol.

If frame is subject to breakage in that area when installing a new trigger, then that part of the frame is likely too thin to be casually tampered with. Folks change out triggers on a wide variety of pistols without frame breakage. The fact that the fame can break there when installing a new trigger likely speaks to both heavy handed installment and an inherently weaker area of the frame. In this case, I feel Walther is not on the hook to replace the pistol. However, Walther should provide a warning of risks associated with changing parts in this area. That said, this forum also serves that purpose with posts about lessons learned.

The way I see it . . .

If the broken frame slipped past QC, then Walther should be pretty embarrassed and should replace the pistol.

If frame is subject to breakage in that area when installing a new trigger, then that part of the frame is likely too thin to be casually tampered with. Folks change out triggers on a wide variety of pistols without frame breakage. The fact that the fame can break there when installing a new trigger likely speaks to both heavy handed installment and an inherently weaker area of the frame. In this case, I feel Walther is not on the hook to replace the pistol. However, Walther should provide a warning of risks associated with changing parts in this area. That said, this forum also serves that purpose with posts about lessons learned.
Fair enough points.

One forum member recently mentioned Walther's instructions on how to support the frame so as to avoid the issue.

There is at least some attempt to do what you are asking for.

Fair enough points.

One forum member recently mentioned Walther's instructions on how to support the frame so as to avoid the issue.

There is at least some attempt to do what you are asking for.
Here are some excerpts from Walther's instruction manual for the DPT installation. It is mostly written for the SF models but has a few additions regarding polymer framed guns.

On the first page...
Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Parallel

And on Page 10 (under REPLACING THE TRIGGER)...
Font Office equipment Engineering Machine Machine tool

As you guys probably know, the Slide Stop Lever assembly is in two parts. The left hand lever has a shaft attached which goes through two holes in the frame. The end of the shaft is tapered to a four-pointed star. The right hand lever has a star shaped hole in it. So, the left lever goes in first and the shaft is pushed through the holes in the frame. The right hand lever then goes over the end of the protruding shaft, and requires a few hammer blows to secure it until both levers are just in contact with the frame.

I don't know how the factory assembles these guns but I can imagine that an errant, or excessive, whack especially with the wrong hammer could damage that frame.

Human body Auto part Metal Cleanliness Musical instrument accessory

We have a disagreement on the importance of the use of "Regardless of the reason" here.

If frame is subject to breakage in that area when installing a new trigger, then that part of the frame is likely too thin to be casually tampered with.
It is not subject to break in this area when the job is done correctly.

However, Walther should provide a warning of risks associated with changing parts in this area.
I don't even think Walther would have to put out a disclaimer here if not that they were selling "upgrades" for triggers that required the removal and replacement of this pin. If you take apart a pistol, and you do it the wrong way, and you break a part because you did it the wrong way, in my mind, YOU are responsible. Walther has been using this same frame design for the past 19 years. All of a sudden this is an issue? The first time that I'd ever heard of this as an "issue", is when aftermarket manufacturers started selling aftermarket triggers that required the removal of this pin.

If you paid a gunsmith to do this job for you, who did do this job for you in the wrong manner, and then it resulted in frame breakage, would your first thought be that this was Walther's fault? I guarantee you that the vast majority of people would not after years ago working my first job as an auto mechanic. Not to go off topic, but I believe there is a huge problem with accountability in this world today.

Has anyone here ever had this issue who did not intend to install an aftermarket trigger? As of right now, I believe the OP is not at fault here, but I would like to see the other side of the slide release lever on the OP's pistol. I asked in post #23.

Read the rest of the conversation after post #44 above. Also, just picking a few sentences to quote will change the contextual meaning.

I believe we are in agreement in the main.
I wasn't trying to mislead anyone. I specifically quoted the comments that I disagreed with after reading the rest of the post. I'm sure we would agree on a lot in this and other conversations, but I'm also sure we would disagree with at least some comments we've made here. This isn't anything personal when I break down posts like that. I like to believe that I disagree with certain ideas more so that the person who has them.

I don't believe Walther is to blame in the vast majority of these broken frame and broken slide release lever threads, at all, the majority of the time. I don't believe they should redesign the frame to make that area stronger. I put all the blame on the people who work on these pistols themselves. This is the first time I've heard this issue on a pistol that may not have been touched by the owner of the pistol, so it is going to take more for me to believe that this is an actual issue. If it starts happening regularly from the factory, like the full-size PDP mag issue for example, then I'd consider it an issue.

I don't believe Walther is to blame in the vast majority of these broken frame and broken slide release lever threads, at all, the majority of the time. I don't believe they should redesign the frame to make that area stronger. I put all the blame on the people who work on these pistols themselves...
I agree with you. I think one of the problems is that there are several, non-Walther, videos available on YouTube showing how to install a DPT and none of them that I have seen stress the importance of supporting the frame when installing the slide stop lever.

In my case the best advice I was given (by a forum member here) was that if I had any questions or reservations to use the methods suggested in the official Walther installation manual.

Reactions: Jimmo952
Interesting, I think I may possibly own more PPQ's than anyone here and have never encountered this, I wonder if it was something going on with early models? I haven't seen the posts you mentioned but I will search now. Also were they RECIEVED this way? or they cracked after firing??
I had a ppq m2 that I shot pretty high volume and never saw issues with cracking.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.