Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just took my brand new AS .40 to the range yesterday. I absolutely loved the accuracy, the trigger, and how it pointed naturally for me.

I had two problems.

First, it wouldn't reliably eject aluminum cases (Federal). I know aluminum expands differently than brass, and if the chamber tolerance is just too tight, I can live with that.

Second, and more important, when I used our duty ammo (Black Hills, 180 grain @ 1000 fps) it would decock on its own--once or twice per mag. I would be in mid-string, lose my reset, and find the striker was down and I was back to DA.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've got an email in to Walther. How good is their customer support?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Welcome aboard. I've never had any problems with either of my P99s but aluminum is iffy for me in several weapons. As for the decocking, nope that one is news to me.

Walther CS is good, but is best when you call them.

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Some guns seem to digest aluminum cased ammo while others may not like it. Sounds like your P99 is of the latter variety. Solution, stop running aluminum ammo thru this pistol.

The decocking is definitely a problem. I've read about some PPQ owners winding up with a 'dead' trigger. Meaning the striker, at some point has been decocked. Just so you know, I can decock a PPQ or P99 at will (not using the decocker on the P99).

First thing I ask, is, have you let anyone else shoot your pistol to see if they are also having the same 'random decocking' problem?

Secondly, I'd also wonder if you're using too light a finger on the trigger during shooting. Were you doing double taps or did this occur during slow fire? I'd have to suggest going back to the range and try it again. This time, be very conscious to hold the trigger all the way to the rear after firing, only letting the trigger move forward after the recoil is over.

If you continue to have these random decocking problems, I'd suggest sending this pistol back to Walther. They'll probably replace the trigger and sear assemblies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not concerned with the aluminum thing. It would have been nice if it ate it, but I shoot 9mm when I want to shoot cheap.

No one else was there to shoot it. I was running rapid fire strings of 4-5 rounds when this occurred. I do that regularly with every pistol I've got. I've seen times this was a necessary thing. If I have to deliberately space my shots, this pistol is of no use to me. I may well try it again before sending it in, though, and appreciate the advise.

May I ask you to tell me exactly how you decock the PPQ and P99 as you said?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update--It did for my buddy, too. On closer look and hand cycling, it isn't decocking itself. Sometimes it never cocks the striker in the first place. Once I even had it fail to cock twice in a row hand cycling. But it does cock it some of the time.

Walther is sending me a shipping label. The rep on the phone had never heard of this problem before.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does this only occur when you're trying to make it run like a Glock 18? Or does it present this anomaly during regular firing (1 second between shots)?
What kind of comment is that? You can shoot faster than one round per second and not try to make a gun run like a "Glock 18".

I guess in a close range defensive scenario you expect the gun to only be fired at one round per second?? Get real. From the sound of the OP he is a LEO and we (including you) should help him through this issue, not chide him for shooting more than one round per second!! The gun SHOULD be able to cycle and fire just fine, even at its cyclic rate which is probably very close to the rate of fire of a Glock 18 in full auto!

OP: Walther should take care of you. I have a 9mm P99AS of new manufacture and with 1500 rounds through it I have had 0 issues of any kind and I decock it often. Your gun is undoubtedly broken. Please keep us updated as to what the problem is and Walther customer service. Thanks and good luck! :)

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
But spunky, you got it all wrong....its a perfectly legitimate question. I simply want to know if the anomaly happens during slow fire or ONLY during simulated 'full auto' fire. Simple question....waiting for a simple answer. This question is closely related or tied to the ability to 'decock' a P99 without using the decocker button.

However, based on the additional information contained in post 6, it also sounds like the trigger bar guide may be out of adjustment ..... seems as the single action sear is not always catching the striker.

Bottom line...yep, it needs to go back to Walther as I stated in post 4.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of comment is that? You can shoot faster than one round per second and not try to make a gun run like a "Glock 18".

I guess in a close range defensive scenario you expect the gun to only be fired at one round per second?? Get real. From the sound of the OP he is a LEO and we (including you) should help him through this issue, not chide him for shooting more than one round per second!! The gun SHOULD be able to cycle and fire just fine, even at its cyclic rate which is probably very close to the rate of fire of a Glock 18 in full auto!

OP: Walther should take care of you. I have a 9mm P99AS of new manufacture and with 1500 rounds through it I have had 0 issues of any kind and I decock it often. Your gun is undoubtedly broken. Please keep us updated as to what the problem is and Walther customer service. Thanks and good luck! :)

Thanks for the back up. I’m an old fart, too, and knew he was just turning a phrase.

It seems it is, indeed, better to call Walther than email them. They were very helpful over the phone.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I liked the G18 comment. Seemed a bit witty to me.
To the point of that question, my 9mm P99 has just shy of 6000 rounds through it to date, a large portion of which is USPSA competition, and thus involves running the trigger quickly and aggressively. I've never seen a failure to cock like you describe. Walther CS was absolutely right to send you a shipping label; that gun is not working the way it should. Their CS department has done right by me every time I've contacted them; here's hoping they get your gun fixed quickly, and on the first try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Might have misinterpreted imaoldphart, I want to apologize to him if so.

OP they will get you squared away. That's unusual behavior to be sure. I have been so satisfied with my P99AS 9mm that I don't even care to shoot my Glocks or Beretta 92s anymore, that's how much I enjoy it and trust the gun. By far the best striker fired 9mm I have ever fired.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got it back today. Good turn around, especially with the holiday next week. It appears fixed. They replaced the trigger and sear assemblies. I will get some rounds through it tomorrow or Sunday.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
IAOF, there was a query as to how you decocked a PPQ earlier in the thread.

I was curious if your method was the same as mine. I'll let you answer unless you already did in PM.

Slide retraction while pulling trigger? ;)

I've wanted to try this while a round is chambered (outside obviously), but am afraid of a fire out of battery.

In any case, I need to call Walther CS myself and inquire about my broken trigger bar. Still haven't done that. Gun still fires, functions fine, but I want it fixed soon though..

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
Thanks cutter.....hope its fixed now.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, once......can't remember exactly how long ago though.

I ate breakfast at IHOP yesterday....got a Spicy Poblano Omelette, with a side of pancakes. Maaaaaaannnnnnn was that good.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.