Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm brand spankin' new here. I'm very interested in the PPS, so I figured I'd just ask my questions here since no gun rag is answering the questions I'm most interested in.

With that said, I'm most interested in the true width of the PPS. I know it says 1.04 in the specs, but is that because of the slide release or is that the slide itself? Gunblast I think has it as 0.9" or so. This is where I think some manufacturers are cheating and not including the slide release. How pocketable is this with say cargo pants or pleated pockets? I mainly plan on IWB or even OWB, but I like pocket as an option. Seems like pocket autos print so much worse than pocket revolvers (J-frame).

Basically, I'm looking at the PPS, a Rohrbaugh, or el-cheapo P9F. I'm an HK guy, so don't flog me now, but the Walther seems to have a lot of the same qualities of the HK (especially the mag release..my favorite) with a LOT less financial pain.

I'm also thinking of getting one of the SW99 with night sites from CDNN, but my main focus would be on the PPS. But, somebody may be able to answer this one too...is the SW99 the S&W version of the P99 AS or QA?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you really want the Rohrbaugh, spend time over in the http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/ site. Many owners spend time and money on the perfect lube, the perfect ammo, etc., etc., etc., to make theirs run reliably. It is disgusting the compromises owners will submit to just so their R9 works reliably. One owner even suggested to only use hardball ammo and not SD ammo. I owned one and the bottom line was that the factory bought mine back. It wouldn't run reliable in my hands. The R9 pushes the envelope for the smallest 9mm auto. My son's PF9 is more reliable.

Note: here is a drill that has been suggested by owners of the R9. Take your clean and properly lubed R9 to the range. Find ammo that will allow you two clean (no FTF, FTE) mags in a row (but always allow the R9 to cool between each two mags). Once found, stop shooting it, take it home, clean it and you can now carry it. Two mags. Not two hundred rounds.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
The PPS is 0.9inches at the grip and slide... and 1.04 at the slide release.
I would not get the SW99 from CDNN if you plan on shooting it much, but spend $100 or $150 more and get the real P99. Why ?? S&W didn't put too much love in the SW99 and from what I have seen, is not close to the P99 quality. but yes SW99 is DA/SA and SW990 is DAO or SW990L for the QA.. if I got that remembered right for the last two models

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is not a pocket pistol in the true sense of the word. It is top heavy (and just well... heavy too) which lends itself to shifting position in the pocket. IMO, this gun is best carried IWB with a Kydex holster to preserve this weapon's best asset, its thinness.

PPS:rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dmobrien2001,

I'm aware the R9 has some problems; however, it's all too rare on the 'net that only folks who have problems report them. If I believed everything, then all Kel-Tecs malfunction. (I know it's not that bad :) ). I think most of the R9 problems came from weak springs. That said, I'm VERY hesitant to take a chance on one; especially when I can get a PPS for 1/2 the price. Not as small; but like you said, the R9 is pushing the envelope...perhaps too far.

I'm going to have to find a store with a PPS so I can fondle it. As for pocket carry, it'd be more of an IWB or Between belt and pants type for me. It's definitely too heavy for long term pocket carry. Only here do the PF9 and R9 have it beat. For sure the PPS has better sights, trigger, ...ok most everything else.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Basically, I'm looking at the PPS, a Rohrbaugh, or el-cheapo P9F.
I'm not sure if you're going to be super happy with any of these choices. The Rohrbaugh seems to be as prone to being problematic out of the box as a kel-tec (I say this as an owner of multiple keltec products...its frustrating at times). If we ditch the rohrbaugh and keltec for being too much of a hassle compared to a hk or walther, we're left with the pps. I don't think you'll find the pps is going to hide as well as a j-frame, the semi-auto pistol shape is a bit of a pain. A well designed holster will help but I think it will be a dockers only gun and you won't be getting it to hide well in the pocket of your favorite jeans. Ymmv and all that, people tell me they carry their g26 in jeans pockets so... If I were you I'd look at some of the smaller kahr's and keep in mind their own quality issues and just wind up putting a j-frame in my pocket I think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I figured the PPS would be too big for pocket, but I need to see one. I rarely wear jeans anymore anyway; as here in FL, shorts are "in" most of the time...not today though :).

I'm also looking at a PM9, I figured that'd be more pocketable. I do wonder if they've got their act together though. I read more and more GOOD things - implying they've fixed some of the problems. Man, those Kahrs are expensive though. A J-frame is EASY to conceal in anything but jeans. It's such an dissimilar shape, not may folks can point it out as a gun. I was hoping the PM9 MAY fit that bill.

Unfortunately, I've seen pics of the PPS against a P2000SK, and they are the same size, except in width...NO way that goes into a pocket (or mine at least) which is pointing me towards the PM9.

I'm not in a rush just yet...but may be getting there after I see how these elections are going in the next 1-2 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts