Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've been interested in getting a backup gun, or at least one that I can conceal when I dress code prohibits concealing my PPQ. Normally, I can hide the PPQ but I've been in a couple of situations that wouldn't allow me to hide it properly.

So, being a self-admitted Walther fanboy, I had it narrowed down to the CCP, the PPS M2, and the PPK in .380.

Well, Walther sort of knocked that last one off the list, since it's not available yet and I couldn't afford $1300 or so to get one off Armslist or Gunbroker. I went to my LGS where I get all my shooting stuff, and asked to see both the PPS and CCP. The sales guy told me all the reasons he was less enthusiastic about the CCP, and I informed him that I'd read it all and heard it all - and reminded him that anything put out in the last 6-9 months hasn't had many reports of being problematic. And then I confirmed that this particular CCP was less than two months in the store.

The PPS was good, but I didn't quite like how thin it was. Sure, that's a great thing for some people, but I wanted a little more lateral swell in the grip.

Long story short (too late), I chose the CCP. Now, I had two things going for me. First, the sudden drop-off in negative reviews and significant rise in positive reviews I've been reading lately. Also, that my LGS has an actual return policy, even if I've shot the gun, for 30 days. Not a "sell back" policy, but an actual return policy (minus a slight restocking fee, of course).

So, slap on a Long's Shadow Antero holster (local company here in CO), some clips to convert to IWB, and a RATS tourniquet, and I spent about $550 after tax with my member's discount. Not too shabby.

Range Day
I went out the next day to put at least a hundred rounds through it to start. I wound up putting 150 flawless rounds through it. The trigger's a bit long and mushy, but I don't mind that in a defensive pistol. Once I got used to the new recoil feeling, I was shooting left by about an inch at 5 yards. I can correct that with a slight rear sight adjustment. Since this will be my BUG, I shot mostly single-handed, and favored my support hand while doing so. I remained combat accurate at that 5 yard distance that leaves me satisfied.

One thing I did find odd, and maybe it's because I've never owned a slim pistol designed specifically for concealed carry: the slide got hot. REALLY hot. Even the RSO was interested in my pistol, and he commented on it. I kept going (this was about round count 75), because I was determined to either be confident in this pistol, or break it within the 30 day window. I'm leaning towards the former. Still need to fire some hollowpoints through this pistol to be totally fine with it.

After the Range
So trying to take it apart sucked for a while. I tried to use the included tool, and was beginning to think if the tab on its end was too short to catch the hook. I wound up succeeding by using the small flat blade screwdriver from my Leatherman so I was able to clean it.

OH MY DEAR AND FLUFFY LORD! [/captainmal], this thing was filthy. I'm not sure if it was a combination of the factory oil and the Federal White Box ammo I'd been shooting, but it was crazy dirty. Normally, I can clean a pistol after a heavy day of shooting in about 30 minutes. Took me nearly two hours to get it to my standards. Granted, I'll probably shoot another 2-400 rounds through it before I clean it again, but I wanted to do a first cleaning on its first outing.

After that, I was determined to make the takedown tool work properly. I'd watched a few videos on Walther's channel and TheFirearmGuy's channel to see how they did it, and my tool looked like theirs, so I doubted it was an improperly made one. A few more tries, and I finally succeeded. In fact, it started to get easier than using the screwdriver. I'll try a few more times this week to make sure I got the knack for it.

Overall Impressions
I'm glad I got it, and it's got a place reserved for it in my sling bag. Just need a good velcro-backed holster to hold it in place. I'll feel more confident in a few hundred more rounds, but I'm getting to like it.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Glad it's working for you! I'd clean and lube it with BreakFree CLP before firing again. Be sure to put some lube inside the striker channel. The factory coats the CCP in a thin preservative fluid that's not a good lubricant.

If you retract the slide just far enough to clear the extractor it should pop right off using the factory tool. Be sure the mag is out and the striker's not cocked.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nicely written report. Glad that you are enjoying the new addition. Yeah, the "SOFTCOIL™" system generates serious BTUs so I give mine a rest at the range every 100rds or so. No biggie for a CC gun, I can't carry that much ammo anyway...hmmm..or can I? :rolleyes:

Reactions: jackrock

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
...the "SOFTCOIL™" system generates serious BTUs so I give mine a rest at the range every 100rds or so.
I had to stop at 50 to let it cool off. As for cleaning...my time to clean the CCP was also about double although I did develop a procedure which reduced time from 45 to 30min.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, i always take at least the guns to the range, even if i only tend to use two. Still, i wanted to stress or for a bit and see what happened. I would have gone further, but ran out of ammo that day.

JackRock
Sent From TapaTalk, and still avoiding Leetspeak

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had to stop at 50 to let it cool off. As for cleaning...my time to clean the CCP was also about double..
Kinda depends on fire-rate, number of mags, and ammo I reckon.
I clean mine in 15min or less, but I do give it a more extensive cleaning once per month or so.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I fired at a high rate simulating a response to an attack.....using one magazine. In an attempt to force a malfunction following Umarex's repair and striker spring replacement I was also using rapid fire shooting 2 magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger....2 magazines fired, reload both magazines and repeat the rapid fire. In either case the pistol became quite hot very quickly. In fact, in remained hot after putting everything away and driving home......a total of 30-40 minutes. Always had to allow it to cool before cleaning.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
These days, it's one and the same, regardless of what they call the operation. Umarex customer service and Walther customer service both share the same address and, depending on your search parameters, the exact same phone number. But it's also a good idea to ask for Walther in the case of a CCP and to ask for Umarex in the case of, well, an air gun.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These days, it's one and the same, regardless of what they call the operation. Umarex customer service and Walther customer service both share the same address and, depending on your search parameters, the exact same phone number. But it's also a good idea to ask for Walther in the case of a CCP and to ask for Umarex in the case of, well, an air gun.
That's good to know, in case I run into problems. I hope to take it out again tomorrow to see if it holds up.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Just to be doubly clear, and after a few PM conversations back and forth with Milspec, there seems to be some confusion on Walther and Umarex phone numbers, depending on how you choose to search for the phone number. Just make sure that if you are talking air guns, you specify Umarex in your search. If you are talking real pistols that fire real bullets, you'll want to specify Walther customer service ... even though both operations are located at the same address in Fort Smith.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Some of the review is a repeat of the original post in this thread, but here's the full review.
Nice work! Now I'll reveal my ignorance: You mentioned ftf when "riding the slide". What does riding the slide mean? I've been having a lot of fte/ftf issues with my CCP. Is riding the slide something I could be doing by accident?
Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice work! Now I'll reveal my ignorance: You mentioned ftf when "riding the slide". What does riding the slide mean? I've been having a lot of fte/ftf issues with my CCP. Is riding the slide something I could be doing by accident?
Thanks.
Imagine the back of the slide is the pocket of a kid's slingshot. You grab the pocket of the slingshot with a pebble in it, pull it back and let it go. With a pistol, you grab the back of the slide, pull it back and let it go. If you even slightly hold on to the slide at it goes forward, you can hinder proper operation. The term for releasing the slide is often called "sling shotting the slide" from the obvious parallel. I believe that is what the poster meant with riding the slide.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks.
Imagine the back of the slide is the pocket of a kid's slingshot. You grab the pocket of the slingshot with a pebble in it, pull it back and let it go. With a pistol, you grab the back of the slide, pull it back and let it go. If you even slightly hold on to the slide at it goes forward, you can hinder proper operation. The term for releasing the slide is often called "sling shotting the slide" from the obvious parallel. I believe that is what the poster meant with riding the slide.
Grumpa has it right. You must pull the slide ALL the way back and just let it go. You can't hold on to the slide for ANY of its forward movement. That's where I'm experiencing failures to feed. And so far, that's the only times I've gotten the pistol to "fail".

I've also added some pictures and updated with my recent improvement of using the takedown tool.

JackRock
Sent From TapaTalk, and still avoiding Leetspeak

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the replies, Grumpa72 and jackrock. Now I'm educated! :)

Riding the slide is not something I've been doing. This CCP is the newest of 5 semi-auto pistols in this house. Whatever problems I'm having are unique to the CCP, the other 4 operate as intended.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Try cleaning and lubing with BreakFree CLP and be sure to spray some in the striker channel. If a CCP is run dry it will short cycle. I found this out after cleaning mine with GunScrubber for photos and accidentally running it dry. After a quick lube with BreakFree CLP it went back to working perfectly again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts