Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it, I bought a handgun at last!!! A Walther P99 in .40 S&W with all German proof marks, lazer etchings, and titanium finish. All for $499!

(Let it be known that I had no idea what a P99 was until I researched it after I bought it, I had no idea that german marks, titanium finish, and the like were very desirable! Niether did the dealer! I chooseit because it fit my hand perfectly, it just felt "right", plus it looked really cool.)

I had made up my mind on getting a .40 handgun before I had I gotten into the door since it is the best compromise between 9mm's high cap and .45's stopping power. The dealer pulled out and showed me the .40 Smith and Wesson Detective Special I had been looking at the other day. I tried it out for a bit and asked to also see the titanium finished P99 in .40 to compare the two. Both were nice guns at very cheap prices (which is why I was looking at them and not the 600 -800 guns!) however, the P99 just felt and fit better. It even seemed lighter than the 3" barreled SWDS!

The DS40 came with the case, two mags, and a holster for $450. The P99 came with all of the above (but without the holster) for $500.

IT was a very hard decision, and the lower price + the addition of a holster for the DS40 almost made me purchase that gun instead. However, as the guy said, I should buy a gun based on how it fits/feels and not on what extras it comes with (the holster). I just had to buy the P99, it just felt right to me! Not to mention I get an inch more of barrel length for added velocity, which I believe an expanding round desperately needs.

The P99 also came with a 3 round higher capacity than the DS(10 round mags) with the capability to buy preban 12 and 16 rounders later on if desired.

So the P99 it was!

There was also a black P99 .40 selling for $400. Even though it was an identical model in all black for $100 less, I just had to go with the titanium finish! It just looked so.......money!

Note: I didn't get the chance to check it for German proof marks or lazer etchings as I was ignorant about such things at the time!

BTW, is it me, or is it almost impossible to fit 10 rounds inside the factory mags?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blain @ June 15 2003,3:42)]BTW, is it me, or is it almost impossible to fit 10 rounds inside the factory mags?
They'll loosen up over time, as you use them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the new P99. Sounds like you got some good prices over there!! You definately won't regret the decision you made at all. I also love the look of the titanium finished P99. I have the OD frame and black slide, and I love it.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum, you'll find alot of info about your new toy.

jay

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like my search for my P99, only I did alittle research... just enough to know it was good... mine came down to the P99 (.40S&W) vs the CZ75 (9mm)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, Blain.

I also just bought by first handgun, a P99QA (see thread here ) I have just one nagging question...

Where are you guys that you're geting such good prices?

I did a lot of research, and knew exactly what i was getting. But here's my beef. I have 3 Walther dealers that are within decent driving range of me. The first one didn't have the QA that I wanted, and wanted $589 for the basic model that he had in stock, and wasn't even a 100% German model.
The second only had the standard in .40, and wanted between $650 and $700 to get in any 9mm model.
The third dealer I went to had pretty much every model available, except for the QA in 9mm. I did play with the .40 QA, and that was the reason that I had the guy special order a 9mm QA. And at $549 (for any P99 he had or could get), he was also the lowest priced.

Now, I may only own the one P99QA, but I have a good deal of experience on a range, and I appreciate that the P99 is a superior weapon in general. For that, I can justify paying a premium. What I can't wrap my head around is how you guys sem to be paying $150 less than I am...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts