Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my SW99 Compact from the CDNN sale Wagemage posted a thread about. It looks like it is new, except it has only one magazine. There is no owners manual, no extra backstrap, and no extra front sights. It does have night sights though. It is also an AS model. Not too bad for only about $439 after shipping and transfer fee. I'm gonna guess it really wasn't new even though CDNN said it was, but it was a decent deal in my opinion.

I have a couple of questions.

First, how do you know if the night sights are installed straight? I know it sounds weird, but they look a little off to me. I guess I will find out just how off they are or not when I go to the range (hopefully soon).

Second, is the guide rod for the recoil assembly supposed to have a little notch in it on the plastic end? Mine does.

Also, the recoil assembly seems to be quite picky about how it is put back during reassembly. I have been taking my SW99 apart and putting it back together and I have to fight with the recoil assembly sometimes when I want to reinstall it. It doesn't want to go through the hole in the slide sometimes. It's like the spring pops out of "alignment" when I disassemble the gun and I have to fight to get it back into 'alignment".

So, if you have a sw99 compact or a p99 compact, what does your recoil assembly look like?

Should I just call Smith and Wesson and buy a new recoil assembly? I already need to request a new owner's manual anyway.

All in all, I figured if I don't really like it, I can sell it for hopefully not a huge loss.

I'll try to post some pics later.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I guess my eyes aren't what the used to be and my computer may be screwed up, but those pictures are very small and I can't a thing from them. The open up to about a 2x1 inch picture and I can't really make anything out. If its not just me, you may need to resize so everyone with aging eyes can make them out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm. Clicking on the pictures doesn't enlarge them?
Maybe I should repost them to imageshack then and make them bigger.
I'll check it out later, right now I am tired and I'm gonna hit the sack. ;)

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Yes - the sight on both my fullsize P99 and compact P99 are both SLIGHTLY off center. And, the notch is normal as well. My P99c guiderod is the same - I just checked it

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Shipwreck. Good to hear everything is normal. Now I have to find some time to go out and shoot this thing!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Doing a minor adjustment of the rear sight is simple - if need be - I just use a tiny flathead screwdriver. But, wait and see.

I used to have a fullsize SW99 - and that rear sight was just slightly off center too.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Isn't anyone else alarmed that CDNN seems to be selling items that they are claiming to be new and apparently are not new? I don't care how gently used something is, but if you claim that it is new, then it should be new!

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I think these guns are being sold as "like new"
That's not what the original poster stated.

"Not too bad for only about $439 after shipping and transfer fee. I'm gonna guess it really wasn't new even though CDNN said it was, but it was a decent deal in my opinion."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The catalog I have says "New Test Fired" for the SW99 compact. Page 158 of the January 2008 catalog.

My packing slip also says "SW99 COMPACT 40 N/S NEW TEST. DECOCK, 1-8, WAL/S&W"

I don't want to start any fights, I'm just copying from their catalog and my packing slip.

When I got it, it looked new. No scratches or anything on the frame. Just disappointed it was missing some stuff I was expecting to be in the box.

To be fair, the catalog says it comes with only one magazine, and I don't know everything that is supposed to be included in a new SW99 compact box.

In fact, I will NOW say the gun itself was actually new, but if there is supposed to be more in the box it wasn't in there.

I did take it out today and shot a few boxes out it. The sights are fine and there were no malfunctions. It's a great gun. Now I just need to get some more magazines for it.

I'm happy with it, and that is all that matters to me. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hopefully yours will be a better purchase than mine is. My rear sight IS leaning to the right, this a minor issue compared to the others. Mine did not feed from any of the six S&W magazines I have, S&W was graccious enough to replace the barrel at no charge, this in spite of it not being coverd under their original owner lifetime warranty. Now, I've found that most of my magazines followers will not seat high enough in the mag tube to lock the slide after being emptied. The ones that do allow lock are questionable, the lift tab on the follower is just barely engaging the slide stop, I fear the follower will ride past the slide stop tab at some point. It seems that either my mag tubes are undersize or the followers are oversize.

·
Registered
149 Posts
MLB,
Glad to hear that the CDNN sale helped you out. For the stuff you are missing, S&W customer service should be able to get you anything you are missing. They are good about that from what I hear. I just need to send in a revolver to them to get fixed, but haven't gotten round to it yet. Anyways, let us all now how it shoots. Take care,
Wage out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts