Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my LGS tonight looking for a high capacity 9mm. I didn’t see much, but I did spot the PPX. The guy there said “if I had any ammo I’d let you shoot it” (it was used). I remember recently cleaning out my car and running across a partial box of Federal 147gr ammo and he said to go get it and shoot it.
grabbed some ears and a target and proceeded to their indoor range. Loaded the magazine full and set the target for 15 yards. Sent 5 rounds down range and brought the target back. Meh. Repeated and once again, meh. Brought the target to 10 yards, brought it back and again, meh.
I asked if he had any wiggle room (it was marked $450), and he quoted me $420. I field stripped it and saw very, very little wear and he had the box w/manual, and extra magazine. I told him to do the paperwork and it came back approved right away. I told him I’d pay when the waiting period was over.
Now I’m having second thoughts about it. I was wanting something to put in my rotation, but read that it’s a little too big for a carry gun. I have a Sig P220 for my nightstand gun, so I don’t know where this will fit in.
I know Walther is a good gun and perhaps that’s what made me jump on it, but I think I pounced too quick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I went to my LGS tonight looking for a high capacity 9mm. I didn’t see much, but I did spot the PPX. The guy there said “if I had any ammo I’d let you shoot it” (it was used). I remember recently cleaning out my car and running across a partial box of Federal 147gr ammo and he said to go get it and shoot it.
grabbed some ears and a target and proceeded to their indoor range. Loaded the magazine full and set the target for 15 yards. Sent 5 rounds down range and brought the target back. Meh. Repeated and once again, meh. Brought the target to 10 yards, brought it back and again, meh.
I asked if he had any wiggle room (it was marked $450), and he quoted me $420. I field stripped it and saw very, very little wear and he had the box w/manual, and extra magazine. I told him to do the paperwork and it came back approved right away. I told him I’d pay when the waiting period was over.
Now I’m having second thoughts about it. I was wanting something to put in my rotation, but read that it’s a little too big for a carry gun. I have a Sig P220 for my nightstand gun, so I don’t know where this will fit in.
I know Walther is a good gun and perhaps that’s what made me jump on it, but I think I pounced too quick.
Sounds like you have issues with impulse buying more than anything. You should return it/cancel the purchase if you're already regretting it. Just say an financial emergency came up and this isn't the time to be getting another gun if you're nervous about their reaction. You can try the Creed out if you liked the ergonomics of it -- the Creed basically replaced the PPx. They go for around the same price, NIB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have never purchased a Walther and regretted it. You might not like the pistols ergonomics but it will be a fine pistol. Return it if you don’t like it because it might not be for you. But there is somebody who might like it. Personally, I the P99, PPK, Q5 Match SF, etc.. always looking for more Walthers to love. My three favorite brands are Walther, HK, and Accuracy International. We all have our faves. Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would suggest a P99 (Any of the models are good, but IMO the "perfect" model is the P99c AS 9mm)

You will spend a little more than the PPX especially in today's market but you get such a higher quality weapon (IMO) all around that it's well worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
You bought it. You liked it for a reason. Now go shoot the snot out of it.

You will drive yourself nuts with second guessing.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Not every gun is for every person....

Not every brand will hit a homerun or attract everyone with every model. I like Walther, but there are still models that don't have any "it factor" for me, and that I never bought.

If you were saying "meh", what made you "pull the trigger" and buy it?

If you can back out of it, maybe that's the call. If you can't back out of it, Jimmo952's advice is pretty solid, go shoot the snot out of it, and get used to it, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not every gun is for every person....

Not every brand will hit a homerun or attract everyone with every model. I like Walther, but there are still models that don't have any "it factor" for me, and that I never bought.

If you were saying "meh", what made you "pull the trigger" and buy it?

If you can back out of it, maybe that's the call. If you can't back out of it, Jimmo952's advice is pretty solid, go shoot the snot out of it, and get used to it, and enjoy it.
I agree tho if he was thinking "Meh" multiple times while shooting it I'm thinking return is the way to go. Half a grand on a gun you don't really like is too much!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree tho if he was thinking "Meh" multiple times while shooting it I'm thinking return is the way to go. Half a grand on a gun you don't really like is too much!
Totally with you! If he can get away with walking the purchase back...that would be the way to go. I don't know that I've ever grown to love something I started out feeling "meh" about.

·
Registered
338 Posts
(SNIP)
Not too big.

Is that your only reservation?

If you don't need the money for something else, don't sweat it - just shoot it and see how it feels. If you like it, get an appropriate holster and get used to it. If you don't regularly carry it's going to feel big, but given time you will hardly know it's there.

I carry a larger pistol IWB all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up calling the guy at the LGS back and telling him I changed my mind.
I wish I knew where a PPQ M2 was at. I’m eligible for Walther’s IOP plan and can get a good deal on one.
in the meantime, my carry rotation will consis of a Sig P229 in all three calibers, a P239 in all three calibers, and a 1911 Ultra Compact.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The PPX is a lil chunky but it's no worse than the likes of the P229.

Of course I'm not sure I'd ever choose a PPX over a P229 or P239 in any flavor. The PPX is a 'budget' gun and while it's a decent pistol it doesn't quite hold up that well to those SIGs with MSRPs almost 2x.

A P99C (if you can find one used) or a PPS might be more to your liking for something concealment oriented. Also look at the new PDP 'compact', it's pretty similar to your P229s in size but a lot lighter and optics ready.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first pistol was a PPX and still love it. Great gun especially for the $. No harder to carry than any other full size. I have an alien gear 3.0 and never had an issue. Eats all kinds of ammo, never had a failure after about 3000 rds. May not be a collectors item but I trust mine and my family's life with my walthers. PPS m2 and PPQ45

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned a PPX 9mm for many years and it is one of my most beloved guns. It was my first gun and easy to hit the target. I used it for a house gun for many years until I bought the PPQ 45. I'm concerned about the price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned a PPX 9mm for many years and it is one of my most beloved guns. It was my first gun and easy to hit the target. I used it for a house gun for many years until I bought the PPQ 45. I'm concerned about the price. I just found a NEW one for $309.99 at Sportsman Warehouse.
I think the Walther CREED replaced the PPX several years ago.

·
Registered
PPK, PPK/S. PP, P5. PPK/S .22, PPX 9mm. P99c. CCP PPS M1 .40. PPS M2. PPQ .22. PPQ .40, PPQ Q4 SF,
334 Posts
The PPX was one of my first few purchases and love it! I used it to qualify for my CCW and it is an excellent shooter for the price! After 15 Walthers, I still use it as my bedside gun! Is it PPQ/P99 quality? No, but a great gun none the less and don't think you will be sorry. The PPX seems to get forgotten about, but is still a great shooter that eats the center out of targets!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts