Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
needless to say i love it, already put about 150 rounds through it, only one hiccup, think it was a failure to feed as when i racked to clear it a live round did a bunny hop out of it but no casing from the prior shot.

its got a BF date code i understand means 2015. specifically DE CIP (with the n under it) BF.

the previous owner put a talon grip on it, but if i again if i understand correctly.. in order to field strip this pistol you need to remove the backstrap. which as far as i can tell is impossible with that grip tape over it, removing the tape obviously would ruin the talon grip or am i wrong.

eventually i'll need to do it and i'll most likely just buy a new set, that said the barrel and everything else accessible without removing the slide looks like its in immaculate condition.

is it possible to remove the slide without taking the strap completely off? currently trying to pull slide forward it stops about half an inch with no wiggle room in any direction

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
in order to field strip this pistol you need to remove the backstrap
No. Not necessary unless there's something wrong with the installation of the Talon.
thanka yeah i got it off just randomly trying a second ago, not sure why i couldnt get it to go earlier. probably just needed to hit the right spot.

this boy seen some use, big old full silver streak all the way down center. nice

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 7 and 8 round mags both have an empty hole at the bottom too. Now my flush 6rd all holes are “filled”. So I’m guessing this is the norm. Kinda strange huh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 7 and 8 round mags both have an empty hole at the bottom too. Now my flush 6rd all holes are “filled”. So I’m guessing this is the norm. Kinda strange huh.
I have 2 - 8 round mags. One is a flush bottom, the other has the pinkie extension. Both have 7 holes. I just unloaded and reloaded both mags to verify.....7 holes each - 8 rounds in each.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have 2 - 8 round mags. One is a flush bottom, the other has the pinkie extension. Both have 7 holes. I just unloaded and reloaded both mags to verify.....7 holes each - 8 rounds in each.
this even stranger. my 8rd

and my other one that i can only get 7 into, both have pinkie extensions but my 8 has a bigger extention

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why would mine be different, theyre both stamped with walther sigs, i doubt this is the first time someone has noticed my guess is thats what shipped with BF for a while. cant be too rare

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
The mag bodies are all the same, the base plate is where the extra round(s) fit in.....

You can strip the PPS like any other pistol...no need to remove the backstrap.

Just clear the chamber first!

(i use my backstrap to decock the gun for nightstand duty. Have kids...don't want a gun laying about that can be grabbed in the dark, and accidentally fired if the trigger is bumped. I've practiced a hell of a lot to learn to retract the slide a bit using my right thumb as a gauge to tell how much is enough in the dark. it works for me.)

It's an excellent an underrated pistol. Too damned bad walther dumbed down the M2 :rolleyes::rolleyes: to suit the unwashed (m)asses who can't use a gun unless it has a goddamned button on it...

·
Registered
150 Posts
One of life's greatest pleasures is exploring a new firearm and learning how to make the most of a new purchase.

I discovered there is a wealth of information to be found in the FAQ section at the top of the PPS sub-section that will help new owners with many questions that arise.

A must read is the Dmars posting titled Walther PPS Observations which has been invaluable to me all the years I've owned my PPS40.

I have this page bookmarked and have reviewed it often. There is also an archived posting on removing the slide without taking off the backstrap.

I hope you enjoy your PPS as much as I've enjoyed mine.:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
thanks for all the info, i love it already. lol taking that picture i just discovered rust or something in that mag release pinhole. thinking about getting the slide recoated but it probably doesnt need it, just that wear on left sude muzzl, was more curious about the benifits of improved durability if there were any legitimately better then the one walther uses plus stuff about not only being just a finish but a part of the metal itself, from reading i found that just because the black is a little worn on that spot doesnt mean the coating is effected and is a different layer all together, no i dont keep a round chambered and trigger is locked, figured that was best... its such a light trigger pull and the slide pull resistance is pretty great, you really have to rack it.. took me about a day to get use to chambering and locking the slide open with only my shooting thumb, the resistance was more than expected and is all the safety i need. i dontbmind the mag eject paddles but i will say im defenitly more efficient with hitting a button by the thumb, im sure like the slide pull, slide lock i will adapt to use the paddles efficiently as well

Attachments

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
You are the first I've heard say that the PPS trigger is light...lol.

I wouldn't consider a PPQ's trigger all that light, actually. Compared to it, the PPS' trigger pull is heavier than a bus-full of rich bastards headed to the whorehouse on half-price night... :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
It looks like the previous owner stored the gun in its holster in a humid environment.

Lightly coat it with oil and leave it for a few hours. Oil has some solvent qualities that may remove the surface rust. Next, wipe off the oil and rust; then, rub the exterior with a silicone impregnated gun cloth before storing it out of the holster and in a less humid environment.

A tray of cat litter works well in small enclosed areas to wick moisture. Just change the litter when it turns white.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
giving it a go now, theres really no visable rust i can see just silver shine. looks copper in picture cause cam flash. but im curious to see what comes off it. its in michigan so its life wouldve seen two polar opposites of humidity for 4 years

nothing came off in its brief stint in oil, upon drying the black finish is defenitly less dull. defenitly considering getting it recoated now that i realize the silver could potentionally rust, the trigger pull is super light since thats strange it got me wondering maybe the previous owner modded it up a little bit, if thats the case im afraid of coating messing with the way it operates

EDIT : i love the paddle now. started it as my new carry, now its always + 1

·
Registered
239 Posts
the previous owner put a talon grip on it, but if i again if i understand correctly.. in order to field strip this pistol you need to remove the backstrap. which as far as i can tell is impossible with that grip tape over it, removing the tape obviously would ruin the talon grip or am i wrong.

Field strip it like a Glock, magazine out, empty chamber pull the trigger and slide back 1/4" <> and pull down on the tabs in the dust cover, the less you remove the back straps on a PPS is........... good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts