Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate to say this, but I am getting bored here.

It’s the same issues over and over:

“I just polished the feed ramp and changed all the springs. Now I have this problem…”

“I just picked up a PPK/s made by S&W. Will grips from (whomever) fit?”

“My PK380 just broke. What do I do now?”

“My P22 doesn’t work any more. I can't afford a gunsmith, so all suggestions are welcome."

“I called Walther CS and they won’t send me a FedEx label. This is the fourth time. “

“My PPK won’t feed my handloads. I have been handloading for 57 years. I know it’s not my handloads, so what’s wrong? (This thing is a real POS.)”

“My gun won’t shoot straight. Where on the internet can I buy new sights?”

“I can’t disassemble my CCP. Is this covered by the warranty?”

“Wouldn’t it be peachy if Fort Smith began production of a PPK built to Zella-Mehlis standards?”

“WhereTF is Fort Smith?”

“I just bought a PPQ. How do I bend the parts so they work?”

“I hate plastic parts. Where I can buy steel replacements for my new (whatever).”

“I bought a Walther 9mm Kurz on Gunbroker but the 9mm bullets my cousin gave me won't go in the barrel. Should I get a stronger recoil spring?”

“I just paid $1699 for a Walther with no import marks. Did I get taken? How much is it really worth?”

In a previous internet life I hung out on a Lee-Enfield forum, now sadly defunct. Many folks had a grand, raucous time there, a sort of freewheeling British pub. The barkeep, Mark Bitting, God rest his soul, died and “Gun & Knife” fell by the wayside. I need to find another place like it.

On the other hand, we are kind to our cats here.

M

·
Premium Member
8,583 Posts
You forgot: "I took my NIB____ to the range today and fired 150 rounds. When I got home and cleaned it I saw a wear mark. Is this normal?"

·
Premium Member
13,616 Posts
Yep, the hoopla has dwindled. A few years ago the PPQ hit the market and the explosion took place. EVERYBODY was talking about the PPQ M1.....then the PPQ M2, then the PPX, then the CCP......and NOW.....WELL all the above is Old News. And there's NO New News.

As soon as Walther lifts the wraps of the PPQ 45, this place will be rockin' again. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
One way to add some spice would be to allow a modicum of political discussion. As long as it's kept civil, without ad hominum attacks, it can be a rallying point for good discussion. You ask, "how do you keep it civil?" That's what moderating is all about! Several of the 12 boards that I frequent manage this, sucessfully, with grace and good taste.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
More than a decade ago when the site was ran by someone else, this was more of a collector site.

With Walther introducing more and more plastic pistols, it's now more of a how-to and newbie site.

The P.38/PPK forum might be what you are looking for. I visit there too.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It's not the questions here; it's the answers that make this place worth visiting each day. And many of those answers are supplied by ... MGMike.

As to politics, we do encourage political discussions that focus on firearms, proposed legislation, so-called gun control initiatives, local and state as well as federal gun laws, etc. As to the rest of it, there's no such thing as polite political discussion, not any more ... and I also would submit that no one has the time to be a 24-hour, full-time moderator of invective, which is what happens when party-waving and flag-waving is invited. There are plenty enough places for folks to go and scream with their fingertips. Thank god this isn't one of them.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You forgot: "I took my NIB____ to the range today and fired 150 rounds. When I got home and cleaned it I saw a wear mark. Is this normal?"
Oh I forgot quite a few.

Like this favorite: "I just bought a P1 that has different numbers on the frame, slide and barrel. When was it made?"

M

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
It's not the questions here; it's the answers that make this place worth visiting each day...
Here, here. I derive immeasurable pleasure from reading - and learning from - many of the solutions offered within this vast collection of knowledge. As time goes by, the athenæum continues to grow in quality and in valuable resources such as links, photographs, videos (if even as silly as blowing up jars of mayonnaise), and other priceless information not located anywhere else on the internet. What is troublesome and irks me is when people fail to utilize the search functions and start new threads asking the same questions over and over again. This is tolerated because there seems to be a negative reaction or hex placed over opening old threads for some reason. I for one don't mind when someone posts something new and relevant to a thread originating from 2010. Besides, it's good to read up on your own notes sometimes. Please do your homework and a bit of research first before raising your hand in class, Oh Newcomer. It is highly unlikely your current conundrum hasn't been discussed - and thoroughly resolved - within these pages already.

That said, the one that has me gnashing my teeth and clicking away faster than anything else is the classic: "I just got this P.38 from (fill in blank). I was told it was taken from the body of a high-ranking Nazi Officer... it has these stamps near the trigger that no-one has ever seen before - any idea what they mean and how much it's worth?"

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
302 Posts
As to the rest of it, there's no such thing as polite political discussion, not any more ...
Sure there is, though admittedly difficult! When accomplished, however, it is what distinguishes a truly classy, 'cut above' board from the pack. Moderation is only a 24 hour job in the beginning. Once members realize that less than civil, ad hominum attacks are not tolerated, the chore is materially reduced.

But, you are the mod and represent the owner. I do recognize the value of a hierarchal society.

Absolutely not. There is enough irrelevancy here as it is.
"Spice" was my word and it is not irrelevant in and of itself. Spice is what makes the relevant even better. Food without spice tires the taste buds more rapidly. Important stuff - wars have been fought over spices!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
"Spice" was my word and it is not irrelevant in and of itself. Spice is what makes the relevant even better. Food without spice tires the taste buds more rapidly. Important stuff - wars have been fought over spices!
I knew when I wrote "irrelevancy" that I should have added "stupidity" and "contentiousness". Wars have been fought over those, too.

Beamon, if you seek political discussions among people who come here to talk about guns, there is another forum just waiting for you:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/donate/

M

·
Registered
183 Posts
For me, my draw was pictures of old Walthers; especially those posted by the Walther King of his Walther Castle collection.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have many interests from classic Mercury Cougars - 351 Cleveland engines - PSE bows - archery - Ford Explorers - Rottweilers - Tshirt design - Walther firearms - other guns - old school GSXR Suzukis - hunting, fishing & trapping in Indiana. I am a forum member on at least one site per each of those interests. The most unattractive thing I notice on any of them is veteran members with high post counts *****ing about the content of the forum where they reside. I realize I barely have a post count on this forum, but the knowledge I have gained by lurking in the shadows has been priceless. I became the proud owner of a Walther P99 .40S&W in January of 2001. I went to numerous gun shows and shops just handling revolvers and pistols. I left the manufacturer and caliber out of the equation on every trip. I was finally at a show where someone had a P99 with the small back strap installed. The gun melted in my hand. The seller briefed me on the ins and outs of the gun as well as the manufacturer and caliber (9mm). Then he said this model is available in a more potent .40. I knew the gun I was going to purchase at that point, but was short of funds. That's when my buddy said he wanted to do one last thing for me while he was still in total control of his money...he was about to get married. He bought me a gift certificate just shy of the amount required to purchase the Walther. That gun has never jammed, misfired, stovepiped or had any other malfunction since the day I got it. It has also save my hide on two occasions. I have since owned a few other handguns, rifles and shotguns, all still in my possession, but none of them have been the gun my Uncle Walt is. I just bought, along with my Dad, a pair of consecutive CCP pistols. This being his 1st handgun, I have high hopes for accuracy and reliability.

The most used button I click on any forum is the "new posts" button. This is how I keep up on current things happening within that particular forum. If there is nothing of interest at the moment, I may hop over to a different forum for a bit. I also don't care how often the same so called "dumb question" gets asked, as long as it keeps the activity going for me and others to continue reading new, albeit rehashed content. I'm in agreement, however, with the negative feelings toward the bashing as an undertone to our brand. Some of it is knit picking little things and some is just down rite bashing. Whether we like it or not, this happens on every forum. I guess I'm saying, you can either spice things up on your own or take a break...the length of that break is entirely up to you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jester - you're spot on. Almost logged off for good a couple of times given the tracer fire a question can draw. The flip side of "how old is my walther with 73 on the barrell hood" is "with a little research you would have found I posted the answer to your 2015 question on 23 March 2004."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jester - you're spot on. Almost logged off for good a couple of times given the tracer fire a question can draw. The flip side of "how old is my walther with 73 on the barrell hood" is "with a little research you would have found I posted the answer to your 2015 question on 23 March 2004."

The guys that do it best are on explorerforum. There is a Google search bar that has the options of just searching the forum content or broadening the search to the web. I'm not saying we need that at all here. That is because that site gets a ton of traffic about rehashed subjects that constantly come back up. At 39, I am in the middle of the "work your ass off" and the "instant gratification" generations. I fall more into the wyao, but I've had many acquaintances that want the answer right now. Those people will never use a search bar because they are so self absorbed that they think their situation is theirs alone, even though they ask for the assistance of others. Wow, that sentence was a tough twister. Sometimes I type the way I talk (Hoosier). The best way to handle those folks, is to post a link to the salution they seek along with the words that were used in the search bar. Then it's not enabling, it's teaching. Of course, calling someone a dumbass when they need it is always welcome around me. Blunt, but informative.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts