Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So on the wall at one of my local gun shops I saw this picture of Roger Moore as 007 holding his PPK. I love Walthers and asked the proprietor if he had a PPK in stock.

He showed me a beautiful, German-made PPQ with brown plastic grips, two mags (one extended, one flat bottomed) and a black flap holster. No original box, sadly. Serial number 105412A

Only flaw is a poorly double-struck stamping "Made in Germany" on the side by the trigger guard.

There is a "64" next to the antler proofmark on the barrel. So I think it's a 1964.

No Interarms logos. Just the Walther logo. Other proofmarks are the eagle with an "N" beneath it. Some commenters say a gun like this might have been made in France but assembled in Germany. Not sure. Nothing about France on it, however.

Its bluing is deep and very beautiful. Black, really, with a mirror shine few pistols have. Barrel is pristine. Hardly looks like it's been fired.

Apparently came from a Walther collector who was moving to Thailand and could not take his collection.

Yes, I know the PPK is supposed to be a 7.65mm/.32ACP but it's close enough and I'm going to keep it.

I paid $900 for it. Too much?

The question is, should I fire it or buy a new/current PPK or PPK/S as a shooter?

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I paid $1500 for mine a few months ago (1966 Ulm PPK with 6 mags and a holster). I think you did quite well.

As far as I’m concerned they are all shooters. Maybe not a holster/carry gun, but everything should be used as intended IMHO....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very, very nice. Wish I could run across W. German PPK in that condition for that price? Congratulations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same pistol sans extra magazine and accessories. A friend recently gave the weapon to me. This weapon does not have a number next to the antets but instead IC. The serial number is 249129A. Any idea what year this pistol was manafactured?

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
What do you think would have been a good price???? $700??? Let's see, $200 is twenty trips to McDonalds or 2 trips to a good restaurant. No one needs twenty trips to McD. and $200 over the next five years is $3.33 per month. Finding another PPK you like....might happen, might not. Shoot it. 1917

·
Registered
290 Posts
What do you think would have been a good price???? $700??? Let's see, $200 is twenty trips to McDonalds or 2 trips to a good restaurant. No one needs twenty trips to McD. and $200 over the next five years is $3.33 per month. Finding another PPK you like....might happen, might not. Shoot it. 1917
We have the same philosophy when evaluating items. lol

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
James, you'll find it a snappy beast to shoot (Bond's 7.65 is bunches more pleasant), but no harm in shooting it.
They weren't designed for HPs, and you should use some other firearm for defense anyway. Be content with FMJs.
Nice catch; enjoy.
Moon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Your argument is air tight.

I performed the same reasoning: Leave the $900 in the bank, losing value as inflation eats away at the ever-decreasing US Dollar, or convert the dollars into a singularly interesting pistol that will never lose value if maintained.

The PPK won. I let it sit in the gunshop for one day, went back with the cash and made the dollars-to-gun conversion. Already forgot the cost.

Then I printed out this picture to go with the PPK.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I remember paying $200 for a pre-68 Walther PPK commercial in 1972 while in basic training. I believe it was slightly used. Translate that into today's dollars would be $1222. I later bought a new Colt AR-15 SP1 that same year and I believe it was $220-$240. Take that for what it/they are worth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the exact same pistol sans extra magazine and accessories. A friend recently gave the weapon to me. This weapon does not have a number next to the antets but instead IC. The serial number is 249129A. Any idea what year this pistol was manafactured?
You have a very nice friend. From 1977, they changed from numbers to a letter code:
A=0, B=1, C=2, D=3, E=4, F=5, G=6, H=7, I/J=8, K=9
So, IC=82

I have a 9mm kurz PPK with code IA=80. I also just acquired (arrived yesterday) a PPK/S with code HH, the first year with the letter code. It is very clean and appears to have been shot very little, if at all. Because of that, there is a temptation not to shoot it to preserve it's "minty" condition. However, one of the main reasons I own pistols is to shoot them.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
How does it shoot? :D

Offered some Yankees the choice to load ammo or buy it while visiting..... but they were in a rush to blow holes in paper.
Their bill was close to the cost of your Walther.
Some memories always make me laugh.

On the water I covered the cost of lost tackle.... South Florida hospitality. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sidecar2, I am so jealous! I wish my LGS had PPKs for that price!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts