Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was at the range last night, shooting mag after mag of .22 through my G22. I just put a new scope so i was zeroing. So, upon slapping a new mag into the well, and reaching for the bolt handle, I realize it isn't there. Gone. I could see that the screw had sheared off in the bolt. I searched amongst a pile of tossed brass, and finally found it. I have about 1200 rounds through this thing, and upon talking to the guy at the range, found he has a friend this happened to. Bummer. I wouldn't care so much if I could get the broken screw out of the bolt without fear of messing things up. Put in a new screw, and done. But now it looks like I'll be sending it off to Walther for repair. Bummer again. I can only hope that they are aware of this problem, and are doing something to resolve it. I don't want to be sending this back every 2000~ rounds.

Anyone have experience with their warranty work? What's the turnaround time like? I called today and the guy rushed me off the phone reaaal quick. Name, address, we'll snd a packing slip, bye.

Also, I'm only shipping the internals, wondering if with that they can maybe fix up the occasional jamming? Not as concerned with that as the bolt handle though.

Other than this crap, I LOVE my G22.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's not a big deal to replace the screw and the handle.
Give them a call and see if they will ship you the parts.

It might save you the time and the shipping charges.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Stever: It's nice to have you on the forum. Perhaps you can find some other Walther rifle fans. Note that you are responding to posts that are a couple of years old, so it's unlikely that blackbok is going to respond. Then again, you never know ...

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
No worries; it's good to have someone posting in the section. Maybe you'll attract some fellow enthusiasts. Must say, however, that most of the forum members are handgun guys. If you pick up a P99 or a PPK, for example, you'll find plenty of company and folks to talk with.

In the meantime, don't give up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, my bolt handle broke today at the range. Exact same problem, the screw snapped in two. Hopefuly S&W will just send me a replacement screw, because there's really no point in sending off my rifle for a fix I can easily do myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love to hear how things turn out.
I haven't use the warranty.

There are a few spare parts I'd like to have, like the bolt handle screw and the springs. I'll probably pick up a couple so I don't have to keep my wife's favorite rifle down for repairs for too long. ;) .

Like you said this is an easy rifle to fix yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Realized that I never followed up on this. I called S&W, told them I needed a replacement bolt handle, and a few days later it was in my mailbox free of charge. They run a good business.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Thanks for that good report, hectma. It's what most of us have come to expect from S&W/Walther America these days. We often hear ample feedback when things don't work out so well, so it's always nice to get a positive report to help balance that out a bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No worries; it's good to have someone posting in the section. Maybe you'll attract some fellow enthusiasts. Must say, however, that most of the forum members are handgun guys. If you pick up a P99 or a PPK, for example, you'll find plenty of company and folks to talk with.

In the meantime, don't give up.
It worked and here I am. I noticed today, that I registered on this forum a year ago and when I found no threads in this section, I left. I am somewhat familiar with PP's and PPK's having fired a few over the years. Never had any interest in owning one, .380 is just not my caliber of choice.

My first and only Walther is the G22, bought it new a couple years ago because the dealer had about 20 selling for below cost.

The only place to shoot handguns around here now is indoors. Outdoors, there is one range, limited to long guns only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts