Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of a PPk/S but am disappointed in the reports on quality Ive been reading about.

Does the blue have the same quality issues?

How does the SIG 232 compare to the PPKS(reliability wise)?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Sig's are real nice pistols, as high quality as you can get in the .380, leaps and bounds above the competition.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a blued PPK I picked up new earlier in the year. It had a cosmetic issue that S&W fixed perfectly once I sent it back. Before and after the cosmetic repair, the pistol has functioned flawlessly, although I have not really tested it with hollow points yet. But so far no jams and it is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Writwing: I've carried a Sig P220 for many, many years. I believe Sig Sauer firearms are of the utmost quality. The 230 and 232 series are also excellent guns. However, when comparing the Sig P232 to the Walther PPK I feel the most important difference is the magazine release. The PPK has a button and the Sig has a heel mag release. For most, a mag change isn't that big of a deal for a concealed carry gun. But for some it is.

Chances are I'll never, ever have to use my concealed carry gun. But, like most who carry, I don't like to take chances, even when they're in my favor.

When I first started carrying a gun during my personal time (off duty), the most probable cause for me to use it was if I stopped at the local 7-11, White Hen type store for milk at 1am on the way home and the place got robbed. If I had to, I could protect myself or others. I doubt I would need a mag change during this type of incident.

But today, it "feels" like I might be more likely to be at the shopping mall or other public place when a wacko starts shooting people. In this situation, extra mags would be pretty nice to have.

Again, I doubt either of these scenarios will ever happen in my presence. So the odds are hugely in my favor of going through life without any problems like a mass shooting or robbery.

But, I've never used my gun on duty either after almost 20 years and I'm not about to stop carrying it either!

It'll never happen, but if it does, I'll be armed.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It'll never happen, but if it does, I'll be armed.
And you feel comfortable carrying a 380 when you can have a 9mm in the same package? Why? (Not a flame I appreciate an opinion that is 180 degress from those who feel they have to carry a 10mm for bad guys)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Writwing: Actually, I consider my HK P7 to be a huge step up in power over my PPK. The Walther is loaded with 85 grain hollowpoint .380's. The P7 is loaded with 147 grain +P+ 9mm's. I don't consider the P7 to be in the same category as the PPK when it comes to size. I certainly like that the P7 is relatively flat and compact, but it's much bigger than the PPK.

My Walther conceals very easily for me without the finger extension magazine. My El Paso Saddlery inside the pants holster holds it securely and protects it from scratches. I find the Walther PPK to be quite light. The P7 by comparison feels much heavier inside my waistband.

For some reason, I shoot the PPK very well too. It just fits my hand perfectly. The sights are excellent and the trigger pull is fantastic in both double and single action. I've practiced for years with the Walther and I would bet my life on it. Or someone else's. I'm very confident in my ability with the little stainless steel gun.

When the weather gets colder and I can wear a jacket more easily, I sometimes carry something even bigger (Colt 1911, EAA Witness .38 Super/.40 S&W, Sig P220, Glock 23 .40)....

The thing about the PPK though is that it's the most compact and easy to carry gun I own. So it finds itself in my waistband more often than any others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts