Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone successfully removed these specks? If not, does anyone know if Walther will fix the problem even if past the warranty period?

I was originally planning to get it hard chromed but I am interested in keeping the titanium IF Walther or S&W have solved the problem with the black specks.

I experimented with Flitz because I was/am planning to get it hard chromed. Didn't remove the specks and didn't harm the titanium.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Walther found that the Titanium coating did not protect the metal very much, and is as protective as traditional blueing. My advice is to have it hard-chromed sooner rather than later. Chances are, those black spots are rust. This is the reason why Walther discontinued this finish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
can u please post a pic of these specs? I have a P99 with a Titanium slide. NO specs. In fact its pretty flawless. I ONLY use clp on my weapons. BUT, my Galco holster leaves nasty streaks on the slide, but clp removes them.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can u please post a pic of these specs? I have a P99 with a Titanium slide. NO specs. In fact its pretty flawless. I ONLY use clp on my weapons. BUT, my Galco holster leaves nasty streaks on the slide, but clp removes them.:)
The specks are all over the place. I bought the gun knowing that I might not be able to remove the specks but I took a chance. There isn't any pitting and the slide still feels smooth.

While the titanium coating may not protect against rust any better than bluing, it seems to hold up against scratches better. Bluing just doesn't look real good when it's scratched.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/lilxboi/Guns/WaltherP99TitaniumCoated008.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/lilxboi/Guns/WaltherP99TitaniumCoated013.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It doesn't really look all that bad, and if you ignore it, likely will be less noticeable as the years pass and you grow old together.

Philosophical solutions aside, I would not declare it hopeless until I had tried soaking and rubbing with Hoppe's No. 9. You might be surprised. If that fails, by all means hard-chrome it, and be done with it.

M

·
Registered
71 Posts
WOW, :eek: ,Ive never seen specks that bad before. I find it almost hard to believe that, that firearm left the factory looking that bad. They might have been put there by the previous owner.???? being a machinist, i can tell you, DO NOT use anything abrasive on your slide. You can remove the Titanium easily. You might have to have it Hard chromed. It cant be rust because titanium will not rust and titanium is deposited over parkerizing. Sorry I couldn't be more help.:confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW, :eek: ,Ive never seen specks that bad before. I find it almost hard to believe that, that firearm left the factory looking that bad. They might have been put there by the previous owner.???? being a machinist, i can tell you, DO NOT use anything abrasive on your slide. You can remove the Titanium easily. You might have to have it Hard chromed. It cant be rust because titanium will not rust and titanium is deposited over parkerizing. Sorry I couldn't be more help.:confused:
The gun is used and when I give it a once over at the shop, it looked like the gun was never cleaned. There was powder all over the feed ramp and chamber area. I bought it thinking that it was shot very little but never cleaned hoping that the specks would come off.

Soaking it in Hoppe's #9 right now but I'm thinking I will definitely need it hard chromed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Based on the photos, I suggest getting that hard-chromed pronto. There's definitely something lurking under the finish. Its corrosion of some sort. The Titanium Coating offers zero corrosion protection. Walther is puzzled as to why, and because they couldn't figure out why, they simply discontinued the finish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You need to find a machine shop that has a Laser engraver. They are more common then you might think. We have one at our shop, all i have to do is download a dxf or iges or anything that can be drawn in AutoCad or the likes, and Laser it into the steel. I would help you out, but i've already been ummm "TALKED" to for using the laser for my OWN personal uses!:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts