Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of Big Dot 24/7 sights on my P99c. They were a snap to install and look great...but I find that I have trouble picking up the thin green line on the rear sight. My accuracy is not as good as when I used the factory sights. (Bifocals could be a factor)...My question is, does anyone out there use the Big Dot for the front sight and leave the factory two dots on the rear sight?

Would I be foolish to do so? The compact is my primary carry piece. But I do shoot it for USPSA too. The Big Dot with the single line does not seem as conducive as the three dots...any suggestions?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jackstarr,
               The main purpose for the big Dot system....is quick combat aquisition of your target.  If you eliminate the rear sight for the factory sights............you will defeat the main purpose of the sight system IMHO.

The tritium aspects of this sight system..........is just a bonus to give you "some" way to go in very low light conditions.

I own the Big Dot system......but did not buy it for the tritium night vision abilities.........and I don't feel that anyone should buy these sights for that capabilities.

Quick combat shooting is where these sights "SHINE".......please don't alter the system to try and get it to perform best in low light------I think you will be disappointed

JF

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I bought a Dan Wesson 1911 w/ a big dot sight. What I didn't realize is that while it helps for quick aquisition, it trades in accuracy a bit. For a combat gun, it might not be that bad. But for a 1911, I expect a certain amount of accuracy.

I never could figure out a consistant way to get consistant results on the target. I finally got fed up. But, they cut the slide so much to fit the sights that no other sight would fit in it (I wanted Meprolights) - the hole was too big. I finally traded the gun in for a Glock 34 and was much happier.

Anyway, I didn't really like those sights, and I would never get them again.

At least you can change out your own sights on the Walther. I like that design feature.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think I have the best of both worlds. I just got in from my Tuesday night USPSA shoot. I alternate between my full size P99/factory sights and my compact with Big Dot. While I may SEEM more comfortable when I see three dots aligned, I must say that Big Dot does STICK OUT. And I shoot both guns with the same results. Since I use the full size for competition and the compact for carry, I am well satisfied…and all I can say if anyone is thinking about getting a compact, all I can say is this is one fine pistol and a really great shooter. This is one grand little pocket rocket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The big dots take some getting used to. For those who are used to the regular 3 dot set up, it will be different. I gave up as shipwreck and went back to the 3 dots on my 1911. May try them again with my soon to be P99. I am not sure how wide the notch is on the factory rears, but they may be too small to accomodate the .160" dia big dot. I have heard of people using the standard dot which is a bit smaller at .120" dia coupled with a standard rear. Most however have to be adjustable as the rears not longer match the front height.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shot my compact and Big dot this week in a steel challenge match...I found that I was missing more than I should...smaller targets for sure but for some reason I was shooting under the target...Targets where about 25 yds and I am not sure why I would have to have such a high point of aim...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
In a 1911, I expect a certain amt of accuracy. I wasn't getting it w/ the big dot.

I suppose i could see having it in a small carry gun - like a Kahr or even a G26. But I will never get these sights again.

I would like to check out a fiber optic sight, but am left wondering that if the front sight is too large, it kinda comes out to being another big dot situation - easy to aim but less accurate...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jake,
You say you are shooting under the targets.......do you mean LOW

If so........ you must be sure that no part of the white big dot sits below the rear V slot.

If you go to XSights website they will show you target images on how to use the sight system at different distances.

You just need to practice with this different sight picture, some fixed "Bullseye" at 25 Yds will cure this.

JF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts