Walther Forums banner

Bicycle inner tube

6K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  wbrian 
#1 ·
Recently put some bike inner tube on my pps.

See less See more
#7 ·
Both good ideas. I dropped by the hardware store this afternoon. They didn’t have any bicycle tubes. So I’ll have to run by the bike shop or Lord forbid Wal-Mart and see if they have any. Then I’ll try your ticks. Thanks. I’m still waiting on my Trijicon HD yellows to arrive too. My LGS guy says they are in back order. Strange I thought. You wouldn’t think those would not be that popular right now to make them go on back order. Hope it’s not too long. Sure what to start carrying that sucker.

#9 ·
Or you can save yourself all the time and hassle and buy a grip sleeve intended for that purpose.

Let's do some math:
* $5.99 for the cheapest bike inner tube I can find on Walmart.com
* Cost of gas to go to Walmart
* Cost of gas to come back from Walmart
* Value of time spent going to/from Walmart as well as shopping there

Now, if one values one's time at (a very conservative) $15/hr … which is the so-called 'new' minimum wage that's been popping up around the country … and one spends (a very conservative) 3/4 hour going to/from Walmart as well as shopping in it and checking out of it … and one also uses (another very conservative) 1 gallon of gasoline at today's AAA national average cost of $2.318/gal, then one will have spent:
$5.99+(0.75*$15)+$2.318=$19.558

I believe the Hogue Handall and Limbsaver grip sleeves … cost less. (The Hogue runs around 8 bucks. The Limbsavers run closer to $15.) There are other options, of course, but I think you get the idea.

#10 ·
I believe the Hogue Handall and Limbsaver grip sleeves … cost less. (The Hogue runs around 8 bucks. The Limbsavers run closer to $15.)
Indeed. Aforementioned Hogue grip sleeves for my wife's Glocks ran between 10 and 12 bucks, are available in different colors and have finger grooves in the front and varying textures all around. I see no point in DIY solutions here.

And the popsicle sticks are for holding this bit in place here, while stretching that end over there, while with your third hand, you're trying to pull over there.

#11 ·
Only problem with your math is that you didn’t factor in the number of model neutral homemade bike inner tube sleeves you can make from one tube. Depending on the size tube you procure of course. For example, if you have a 28” tube, figure you’ll lose 2” due to the stem, 26” divided by the length of tube you need for each gun.....that’s a lot of sleeves.

#12 ·
I just looked up Limbsaver,Packmeyer and others. I think they are all to thick. What appeals to me about the tube is how thin it would be. Grippy, protective and extremely thin! I’ve also had a few Talon grips. I use to think they were fantastic until they started to come off and slip while range shooting and in hot weather. So... no more Talons for me. Sad. They sure felt good. Just couldn’t keep them on.

#14 · (Edited)
I’ve also had a few Talon grips. I use to think they were fantastic until they started to come off and slip while range shooting and in hot weather. So... no more Talons for me. Sad. They sure felt good. Just couldn’t keep them on.
This is why I don't use Talons, as well. And I've had the Hogue Handall on mine, it's no thicker than an inner tube -- and actually has more grippiness to it thanks to slightly-raised dimples on it.

Only problem with your math is that you didn’t factor in the number of model neutral homemade bike inner tube sleeves you can make from one tube. Depending on the size tube you procure of course. For example, if you have a 28” tube, figure you’ll lose 2” due to the stem, 26” divided by the length of tube you need for each gun.....that’s a lot of sleeves.
I deliberately didn't factor that in because someone was looking to buy a tube here, so the cost for 1 use is the cost, right now (since no additional uses were indicated). Obviously if there are multiple uses, the overall cost will be reduced (on a per use basis). Good on you if you expect to buy a bunch of pistols that the exact same diameter tube will work for (like, say, 10 of the same pistol?) ... but most people just don't do that. In fact, few people (with respect to the total number of gun owners) have multiples of the same model firearm … and most firearms of different makes/models have different grips, right?

#15 · (Edited)
I am a bicycle rider and gun owner....

I have a inner tube sleeve on my M&P22. I also had one on my Hi-Point 995TS (since sold). They do a well enough job of adding grip.
The tube size would easily cross over between my Ruger's, Diamondback and Sig if I so desired.
That said, I will say I do use and like the feel of a slip on Houge grip with finger grooves better.

Also added a sleeve to my old 3 D cell Mag-Lite. All were cut from the same old 26" mtn bike tube I had in the garage. Long ago paid for and replaced. Technically trash but I always save the old tube and tires.

I also cut a short strip from an old 700C tube and added to my small flashlight.

#23 · (Edited)
Finally got some bike tube. Just put on my G43 and Shield. Waiting to add to PPS m1 until I get my night sights installed. So far so good. Feels really good as long as they don’t start “shifting” while shooting or when it gets warmer. Really like the fact they don’t add hardly any thickness. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#28 · (Edited)
Walmart, seriously? How many of you buy bike parts through Walmart? I'd rather order online. Such stores don't inspire confidence in me when it comes to specific things. I am the kind of person that if I have a problem with a bike, I will go to a shop that REALLY specializes in bikes. Lol, I even found insurance specifically for the bike - sundaysinsurance.co.uk. I may be making things difficult for myself, but I'd rather wait for a known good product to arrive than buy the first one I see at Walmart.

#30 ·
While the inner tube is a very tempting technique, is extremely cheap, and makes the gun feel really great in the hand, when it gets wet, it turns the grip into a slippery eel. Great for the range - not as much for the real world in stressful conditions.

#31 ·
I haven't had an issue with the gun getting wet - and I live in a friggin' swamp. Maybe something to do with the type of tube you used? I've been bike tubing handguns for...10-15years (as you said, it's been a thing in the military for a looooong time). I'm sure there are "better" products out there, but a tube has served me well for a while - particularly the "non-slip" section which is only a small part of the tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.