Walther Forums banner

Bicycle inner tube

6K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  wbrian 
Or you can save yourself all the time and hassle and buy a grip sleeve intended for that purpose.

Let's do some math:
* $5.99 for the cheapest bike inner tube I can find on Walmart.com
* Cost of gas to go to Walmart
* Cost of gas to come back from Walmart
* Value of time spent going to/from Walmart as well as shopping there

Now, if one values one's time at (a very conservative) $15/hr … which is the so-called 'new' minimum wage that's been popping up around the country … and one spends (a very conservative) 3/4 hour going to/from Walmart as well as shopping in it and checking out of it … and one also uses (another very conservative) 1 gallon of gasoline at today's AAA national average cost of $2.318/gal, then one will have spent:
$5.99+(0.75*$15)+$2.318=$19.558

I believe the Hogue Handall and Limbsaver grip sleeves … cost less. (The Hogue runs around 8 bucks. The Limbsavers run closer to $15.) There are other options, of course, but I think you get the idea.

I’ve also had a few Talon grips. I use to think they were fantastic until they started to come off and slip while range shooting and in hot weather. So... no more Talons for me. Sad. They sure felt good. Just couldn’t keep them on.
This is why I don't use Talons, as well. And I've had the Hogue Handall on mine, it's no thicker than an inner tube -- and actually has more grippiness to it thanks to slightly-raised dimples on it.

Only problem with your math is that you didn’t factor in the number of model neutral homemade bike inner tube sleeves you can make from one tube. Depending on the size tube you procure of course. For example, if you have a 28” tube, figure you’ll lose 2” due to the stem, 26” divided by the length of tube you need for each gun.....that’s a lot of sleeves.
I deliberately didn't factor that in because someone was looking to buy a tube here, so the cost for 1 use is the cost, right now (since no additional uses were indicated). Obviously if there are multiple uses, the overall cost will be reduced (on a per use basis). Good on you if you expect to buy a bunch of pistols that the exact same diameter tube will work for (like, say, 10 of the same pistol?) ... but most people just don't do that. In fact, few people (with respect to the total number of gun owners) have multiples of the same model firearm … and most firearms of different makes/models have different grips, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.