Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new P99 owner, and am interested in adding a good tactical light to this full-size auto. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for a good home-defense load in 9 mm? I'm looking for a good combination of stopping power and controllability. My husband prefers Remington's 165 gr Golden Saber in .40 S&W, but he uses this round in his Glock 27, which is a bit much for me, and doesn't own a 9 mm handgun, yet. So he's not much help when it comes to 9 mm advice.

Thanks,
DJ

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you're looking for a light for home defense use, might I suggest a Surefire Z2. This light does not attach to any gun it is a stand alone.

The problem I have with attachable lights, relates to the 2nd Law of Gun Safety. "Never point a gun at something you do not wish to destroy!"

So you hear a bump in the night and you take out your gun with the light attached. You hear the bump again and you point your gun in that direction, turn on the light and guess what, it is your husband or child!

With a stand alone light, you can use that light with your gun at the ready, safely pointed in a different direction, yet ready to use if the threat is real.

Attachable lights are excellent tools if you know you're going into harms way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
P88 makes a good point about attachable lights, but I have one on my P99 and I really like it.  There is no fumbling in the dark for a flashlight and I can grab it and operate everything with one hand.  I keep my finger on the light switch and not the trigger when looking for "bumps" in the night.

I have the laser devices light on mine. It is really bright.
Universal Las/Tac 6-volt Light for Walther P99

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is a great philosophy P88, but what happens when you have to open/close a door, or grab your child, or reach for a full magazine?!?~

Besides your if you don't truely intend to destroy what you are aiming at then your finger should not be on the trigger. For every good operator this is law.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What light you use/need depends on the mission you wish to accomplish.
If you are "searching" for an unknown possible threat, then a hand held light is the way to go.
If you are "hunting" a known threat, then a weapon mounted light is the best.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
P88 makes an excellent point. Regardless if your finger is on the trigger, using a handgun as a flashlight can put you in an unwanted situation. I would never want to illuminate my son with my P99.

Aside from that point, It seems to me that the primary advantage to having a handgun is the element of surprise. An intruder is not going to expect an armed response. I'd imagine that the intruder will notice you searching through the house with a flashlight before you find him. Seems to me that a tac-light is more of a "here I am, shoot here" beacon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While I agree, try to play flashlight tag with your sidearm mounted flashlight vs someone who has a detached light

A good standalone operator will be able to totally confuse and disorient an attacker... remember in a dark room light may detect a threat but it also reveals your position

Trust me, in a tactical situation a light in a free hand is ALWAYS better, when its time to dispatch a threat, hand with flashlight meets hand with firearm and the rest is simple

If you need more than 10 rounds in a home defense situation then either you are doing something seriously wrong or you have angered a small army and need to switch to something more serious than a pistol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Although I agree with the whole don't point at you don't want to destroy thing, what happens if the bump in the night is a tango? The development I live in and lives in previously were both middle class and all of the houses had and have a roughly identical layout. Where I am now I think it's one of three different blueprints. Anyway said tango has these blueprints or is familiar with the area and understands the number scheme (where I am now it takes a uni education to do that
) so you sneak down stairs and commando around the house with your trusty non-attached flash light (which also operates as an enemy marksmanship badge) and said tango decides to disarm you bodily as well as emotionally. So since you've decided to go with a stand alone light, it's now across the room and the tango has your gun since he/she has night vision already and you don't. This of course is a politically correct way of saying 'you dead.'

Okay so it wouldn't be a good thing to light up your kid or spouse with said gun with an attached light but it is a good indicator that they shouldn't be making so much noise in the first place, should be home on time, etc. And there is that whole thing about keeping one's hands off one's trigger until the target is determined to be hostile or not. Also given the nature of combat in a dwelling it would be silly to have the second hand with a light in it since the proper way to clear a room with light/gun is to have the light illuminating the target and the gun pointed at it too. I for one would rather have two paws on my firearm than just one.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
No easy answers to this one. I think lights, attached or otherwise, are a disadvantage overall. YMMV.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are no easy answers for every homeowner who hears a noise. If one lives alone, a rail mounted light makes sense. If one lives with kids that get up, a flashlight would be better. Like planning for a housefire, everyone needs to be on board for the possibility of intruder.

Helmet mounted NVGs aren't really an option for most people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts