Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not a big fan of 3 dot white sights, so I put some Tru-glo TFX Pro's on my PPQ. They look good but seem to change my POI. It now shoots low. I have to fully cover my target and even aim a little high on top of that to get to shoot where I want it. Has anyone had this issue with TFX Pro sights? Any suggestions on how to fix this? Im a little disappointed because I shot my sons Canik SF Elite better than my beloved PPQ. Im wondering if its the sights, so hoping somone can clue me in on how to adjust these sights for more accurate POI. If not, is it a good idea to instead go with a blacked out rear sight and a fiber optic front sight?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
The TFX Pros are designed to be combat sights and use sight picture III. I'm surprised they changed your POI.

I've use them on all my P99s and PPQs (except my QFE) and have never had that experience. It could be a mounting issue. The rear sight might not be properly seated or the front sight might be loose.

I had a Forums member with a similar issue who lives close enough to my range that we could meet up. When I examined his Q we learned it was the "Indian not the Arrow". He wasn't using the proper sight picture. When I used it, it punched the ten spot every time.

If you are using Sight picture III at normal pistol ranges you should be getting proper target zeros.

This is a rapid fire target with my Q45, 3 round strings at 35 feet with a draw stroke from a Wright Regulator holster. (BTW because of an injury I shoot one handed)

As you can see the POA/POI is perfect.

Why not post some detailed images of your sights maybe we can figure this out.

Reactions: Wolfierules907

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I'm not seeing images in your post husker.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
Hello Husker. Your links or pictures didn't show up. I and many others use imgur.com to host pictures. Once you've uploaded your pictures to Imgur, you can copy and paste a link to your picture which (when done correctly) will show up as a 'picture' in your post....not a link. Just like Olsoul's post.

You said "I have to fully cover my target". That's the sight picture Walther and most aftermarket sight makers use .... sight picture 3 in Olsoul's post, above.

Yep, you've got to cover the bullseye with the 'dot' on the front sight. The TFX Pro's should work the same way.

I really don't know what to tell you, other than you might try shooting from a sandbag and see how/where it prints.

I used the (BBcode) to link a picture in my Imgur 'free' account so it'd show up in my post. Now, this is only an example....and it'll show up in this post as a picture, not a link.

This is a picture of the day I took my grandson for a plane ride. The plane was full, so little Jimmy had to hang on the the windshield wiper. I only intended to make a high speed taxi down the runway, but caught a gust of wind and lifted off, I just had to go for it. Made a trip around the pattern. When we got back, Jimmy's momma was not happy, nor was Jimmy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have Trijicon HD's on my PPQ, I prefer the orange front sight. They are set-up for a combat hold. I prefer a blacked out rear sight.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
I don't know if there is a "best". At least not a best that is agreed upon by everybody. Different peoples eyes are well..different and what they use the gun for us different.

One thing just about everyone agrees on those is the stock plastic sights are not very good and should be replaced.

There are some very high quality sights available for the PPQ.

The first thing to decide is your primary use for the gun. If it is a range gun primarily it might lead you in one direction.

If it is for self defense, it might lead you in another.

Another factor is your age. If you are suffering from age related eye issues it might factor into your sight decision. If you are not, what's optimal for you might be a little different.

I would think about those things and then reask the question. You are still going to get different opinions but it will narrow it down.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello Husker. Your links or pictures didn't show up. I and many others use imgur.com to host pictures. Once you've uploaded your pictures to Imgur, you can copy and paste a link to your picture which (when done correctly) will show up as a 'picture' in your post....not a link. Just like Olsoul's post.

You said "I have to fully cover my target". That's the sight picture Walther and most aftermarket sight makers use .... sight picture 3 in Olsoul's post, above.

Yep, you've got to cover the bullseye with the 'dot' on the front sight. The TFX Pro's should work the same way.

I really don't know what to tell you, other than you might try shooting from a sandbag and see how/where it prints.

I used the (BBcode) to link a picture in my Imgur 'free' account so it'd show up in my post. Now, this is only an example....and it'll show up in this post as a picture, not a link.

This is a picture of the day I took my grandson for a plane ride. The plane was full, so little Jimmy had to hang on the the windshield wiper. I only intended to make a high speed taxi down the runway, but caught a gust of wind and lifted off, I just had to go for it. Made a trip around the pattern. When we got back, Jimmy's momma was not happy, nor was Jimmy.

Blahahahahaha

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Thanks those images are a bit better.

Your Pros seem to be mounted correctly although it is hard to be 100% certain.

When you are able I'd bench your Q or have someone else try it. As I said before I've mounted TFX and TFX Pros on both my own Qs and Walthers belonging to other people and have not had any change in POA/POI.

I am of course assuming yours are TFX Pro "WA1P TG-H3" which are the correct model for both the P99 and the PPQ.

Once you have figured out your sight picture you'll find the TFX Pros are a great EDC sight. They are robust and allow you great target acquisition and reacquisition. The combination of the tritium vials with fiber optics really help when you are in lighting conditions that match the output of tritium like dawn and dusk, here the fiber optics gather additional light and are a huge help. That aggressive slope on the rear sight make belt racking easy. The orange ring on the front sight is great in bright light situations as well.

I've tried all the Walther sights and most of the popular night sights on the market. I think for duty and EDC one would have to look hard to find a better night sight than the TFX Pro.

Reactions: Wolfierules907

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put Speed Sights on my PPQ before I even shot it.
I first time out, I was shooting low and left, even with support.
I even sent an email out to the owner of Speed Sights asking for assistance.

Out of frustration, and to prove a point, I bought a laser bore sight -
I was immediately able to see that the sights were nearly a perfect Sight Image 2.

Now, with additional training, I know the sights were right on from the beginning.
I highly recommend Speed Sights.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I put Speed Sights on my PPQ before I even shot it.
I first time out, I was shooting low and left, even with support.
I even sent an email out to the owner of Speed Sights asking for assistance.

Out of frustration, and to prove a point, I bought a laser bore sight -
I was immediately able to see that the sights were nearly a perfect Sight Image 2.

Now, with additional training, I know the sights were right on from the beginning.
I highly recommend Speed Sights.

So you're saying you have a PPQ out of the box that uses Sight Pic 2 rather than combat hold aka Pic 3? I'm confused by your description.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
I can answer that one. Walther uses a combat sight picture....sight picture 3.

Speed Sights use sight picture 2.

The Speed Sight fits nicely in the notch in the rear of the Shield RMS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Speed Sights use sight picture 2.

Exactly, thank you IAOF!
Not sure what part was confusing, I put Speed Sights on before I ever shot it.
Speed Sights are advertised as Sight Picture 2.

But I think the important part of my post is in the middle -
If you believe you have a problem with your sights (any sights) check with a bore sight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I curious, what makes sights center sight picture or combat sight picture. is it the height of the sights? I wonder if there is a way to make my TFX Pro's center sight picture instead of combat.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
I curious, what makes sights center sight picture or combat sight picture. is it the height of the sights? I wonder if there is a way to make my TFX Pro's center sight picture instead of combat.
Yes, when designing sights, it's the height of the front and rear sight that'll determine/provide a specific sighting picture.

To modify the TFX Pro's sight picture, you'd have to use a different height front or rear sight. So, the answer is 'no'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well that sucks. I might be putting some Dawson Fiber sights on then. Anyone know off the top of your head what sight picture those are?

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
My question would be why?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Well that sucks. I might be putting some Dawson Fiber sights on then. Anyone know off the top of your head what sight picture those are?
A really nice thing about the Dawson sights is Dawson will set you up with whatever sight picture you prefer. This includes narrower or wider rear sight notches.

For a range gun or competition gun, they are really hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts