Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first...I have CZ SP 01 with night sights for home protection-by the bed. For edc, have Sig 365 with night sights.....so not so sure I need night sights on my new Walther PPQ 9mm m2 4"?? want sights giving best chance for accuracy. Well, better tell it....I am 75, but luckily in good health except for bad back which keeps me from playing golf or racquet ball....took up shooting 10 mos. ago, and shoot almost every day after going to the gym.

What suggestions , please.

Have Dawson Precision sights with black rear and FO front on CZ P 01 , and like them...may be something better for PPQ though.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
You have just opened a HUGE can of worms!

If this were going to be an EDC I would highly recommend you seriously consider the TFX Pro night sights....they are the best for fast target acquisition and they are extremely accurate.

However there is a new set of sights that fart thinks highly of they are called Speedsights. Here is a link about them: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...t-loaner-trial-exclusively-forum-members.html

·
Registered
343 Posts
If tight groups are the one and only goal, all black sights are the way to go, adjustable if you can get them. Though fixed Dawsons are a great option. Fiber optic front with a black rear is generally considered better for shooting with accuracy at speed. So it depends on what you mean by accuracy- shooting slowly and getting tight groups and hits on small/distant targets, or shooting as quickly as you can and still maintaining accuracy.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Ultimately you will need to make your own mind up based on the options available and opinions you are seeking in here. I've seen and read just about all of them and still haven't decided on any for my Q which I've had for a year and a half.

Maybe one day! :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Check out Speedsights. I have them on most of my handguns including my P365. You can get them with tritium inserts as a night sight or without. I think the system works and can see the brighter and larger sights.

Home - Speed Sights

·
Super Moderator
14,396 Posts
want sights giving best chance for accuracy.

You specified accuracy. So, that makes this easy. Speedsights. The point of impact is the top/tip of the front diamond. Here's a link to a thread on this forum http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...ppq-has-impressed-me-speed-fine-accuracy.html Keep in mind that Annie Oakley is Mystro's great aunt....his uncle was Buffalo Bill......or was that Buffalo Bob???? :D Hey, he's a great shot and heavily engaged in the firearms industry. If HE put SpeedSights on most of his pistols, that tells me all I need to know. YES, I'm using them as well.

Here's a picture of the sights....line up the diamonds (that's easy) POI will be as shown in the picture below.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
You specified accuracy. So, that makes this easy. Speedsights. The point of impact is the top/tip of the front diamond. Here's a link to a thread on this forum https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...ppq-has-impressed-me-speed-fine-accuracy.html Keep in mind that Annie Oakley is Mystro's great aunt....his uncle was Buffalo Bill......or was that Buffalo Bob???? :D Hey, he's a great shot and heavily engaged in the firearms industry. If HE put SpeedSights on most of his pistols, that tells me all I need to know. YES, I'm using them as well.

Here's a picture of the sights....line up the diamonds (that's easy) POI will be as shown in the picture below.

This!

I got to shoot OFs PPQ 9 with these, most accurate sight picture HANDS DOWN.

I have shot Trijicon HD Big Dot sights to the point where, with range trips every other week (keeping skills high), I can run 12 rds on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper @25 yards in under 30 secs off-hand (PPQ 45).

These are BETTER then the HD Big Dot sights.

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
You specified accuracy. So, that makes this easy. Speedsights. The point of impact is the top/tip of the front diamond. Here's a link to a thread on this forum https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...ppq-has-impressed-me-speed-fine-accuracy.html Keep in mind that Annie Oakley is Mystro's great aunt....his uncle was Buffalo Bill......or was that Buffalo Bob???? :D Hey, he's a great shot and heavily engaged in the firearms industry. If HE put SpeedSights on most of his pistols, that tells me all I need to know. YES, I'm using them as well.

I get the point of the triangle shaped front sight. What is the theory behind the pointy rear sights?

I agree the triangle front sight would allow for greater accuracy potential than something like the Trijicon HDs. I suspect it can do this without compromising speed. Seems like a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
14,396 Posts
Hello Jimmo.....the point of the diamonds on the rear is to compliment the diamond on the front. You simply line up the sides (tips of the three diamonds). That sets your windage as well as your elevation. NO need to try to center a front sight blade in a notch in the rear sight....my eyes just aren't that good. BUT aligning the sides (tips) of the diamonds is easy, then the POI is the top tip of the front sight.

Just like the picture.......

May take some getting used to. Heck, it probably took Mystro 2 or 3 rounds to get used to. They're awesome, and Mystro is in charge of a set of 'loners' we're passing around the forum to anyone that'd like to try before you buy.

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
Thanks Fast for the response. I evaluate technologies and products for a living so forgive me if a bit of skepticism seeps through.

Bottom line is I won't really know till I try them. I'll get to that one of these days.

Like I said before, the front diamond sounds like a slam dunk. If it is not patented I would not be surprised if other sight manufacturers didn't try something similar.

I'll get myself a set one of these days to try. I'll admit to being a tough sell.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Thanks Fast for the response. I evaluate technologies and products for a living so forgive me if a bit of skepticism seeps through.

Bottom line is I won't really know till I try them. I'll get to that one of these days.

Like I said before, the front diamond sounds like a slam dunk. If it is not patented I would not be surprised if other sight manufacturers didn't try something similar.

I'll get myself a set one of these days to try. I'll admit to being a tough sell.

I'm the same, was expecting to be underwhelmed by the "3 diamond" sight picture.

Was impressed.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hello Jimmo.....the point of the diamonds on the rear is to compliment the diamond on the front. You simply line up the sides (tips of the three diamonds). That sets your windage as well as your elevation. NO need to try to center a front sight blade in a notch in the rear sight....my eyes just aren't that good. BUT aligning the sides (tips) of the diamonds is easy, then the POI is the top tip of the front sight.
That makes sense, and you've got me interested. You would be using Sight Picture 2 in that case.

Unfortunately, as I shoot almost exclusively indoors, I've trained my eye to ignore the dots. I concentrate instead on the geometry of the sights (perhaps “symmetry” is a better term). This is because, in the dim lighting, the dots are difficult to see unless I “jiffy them up” with a flashlight. Tritium vials would also be of no help in such lighting conditions.

Balor

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sound great

where do I get them...and are there variations to consider....assume a good gunsmith could install them

·
Super Moderator
14,396 Posts
Here's a link to the web site Home - Speed Sights. However, the Walther sights are not showing to be available. You'll need to call them at 360-531-2673. You can place your order over the phone. You'll need to specify the color...for example, white rear and orange front. You'll also need to specify if you want standard sights or tritium 'night sights'.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you

Here's a link to the web site Home - Speed Sights. However, the Walther sights are not showing to be available. You'll need to call them at 360-531-2673. You can place your order over the phone. You'll need to specify the color...for example, white rear and orange front. You'll also need to specify if you want standard sights or tritium 'night sights'.

have a recommendation for the PPQ....and do you feel you always want night sights when changing from factory sights. Many thanks. At age 75, my eye sight is not what it once was.

·
Super Moderator
14,396 Posts
As for the PPQ, that's pretty much all I shoot. SpeedSights has become my current favorite. As for night sights.....if you expect to use your pistol in the dark...meaning for home defense, then it makes sense to install a sight that you can see in the dark. I put night sights on ALL my defensive pistols. I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all your help

As for the PPQ, that's pretty much all I shoot. SpeedSights has become my current favorite. As for night sights.....if you expect to use your pistol in the dark...meaning for home defense, then it makes sense to install a sight that you can see in the dark. I put night sights on ALL my defensive pistols. I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Btw....at age 75, bet I am an older fart than you. Played something athletic all my life, but my bad back finally got me...took up shooting, and do enjoy it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4" barrel

just ordered speedsights for my PPQ.....there should not be a problem with 4 vs. 5 inch barrel should there ? The girl said they did not get that many requests for that short barrel=mine is 4"

1 - 20 of 66 Posts