Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am really wanting a shooter PP or PPK PPK/S to go with my WWII bringback PP. What would be the best choice? Interarms, S&W, Manurhin or a new Ft Smith? 380 or 32 doesn't matter, looking for something to shoot and possible carry. Price range would be max $700-$750.

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
For a shooter, jimbo's notion of a .22 is a good one. If you want centerfire, Ranger.
But really, carry something else.
Moon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally, I’m very happy with my Ft. Smith PPK/S .380. I’ve only got about 200 rounds thru it but so far it has been reliable with both FMJ and JHP ammo including some hot Underwood. My only complaint is the sights. I had trouble picking up the front site so put some paint on it. That helps but the front sight blade is really thin. I had an S&W model and wouldn’t feed JHP or some FMJ reliably. I would stay away from that.
I also have a German PPK and PP but because they give me slide bite they stay in the safe. So keep that in mind as you consider German alternatives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. My WWII PP shoots flawless and very accurate, I just don't want to shoot it too much. There is a 32 PP advertised here locally I am going to check out and see what it is. I have been looking at the new PPKs made in Ark and like the looks of them. There are a few Interarms on Gunbroker as well. Maybe a Interarms and new Ft Smith and have it covered!!

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Have a long look at that PP. The .32s are bunches nicer to shoot than the .380s.
Moon

Reactions: mpgus and Jimbo80

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Hey guys, I am really wanting a shooter PP or PPK PPK/S to go with my WWII bringback PP. Price range would be max $700-$750.
You should have plenty to choose from if that is your budget. Now if you had said $350 to $400....we'd have to put our thinking caps on. I prefer the .32 myself. 1917

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
With the buyer's market today it's easy to find Ulm PPK/S in all calibers in well less than your price range. I recently purchased a .22 PPK/S LNIB for the $550 asking price. When you can get a gun like that for less than the latest US iteration .380 it's a no brainer IMO. With a little effort a .32 PPK (THE Bond gun) can be had for that kind of money.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personally, I’m very happy with my Ft. Smith PPK/S .380. I’ve only got about 200 rounds thru it but so far it has been reliable with both FMJ and JHP ammo including some hot Underwood. My only complaint is the sights. I had trouble picking up the front site so put some paint on it. That helps but the front sight blade is really thin. I had an S&W model and wouldn’t feed JHP or some FMJ reliably. I would stay away from that.
I also have a German PPK and PP but because they give me slide bite they stay in the safe. So keep that in mind as you consider German alternatives.
> I had trouble picking up the front site so put some paint on it.

Testors hivis Orange for the win. If I were really crazed and didn't mind marring the perfection (I do) I might vise down the slide, drill very small divots on the rear sight posts after precisely marking POI with a laser boresight, and add vertical alignment dots in hiviz green … but just changing don't-see-me red to hiviz orange was good enough to put 2 mags straight into the X at 7 yards, and that's reversible with a bit of enamel paint thinner if desired.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gdot a new PPK/S (Ft Smith) the other day. Late yesterday evening went and put 50 rds thru it. Trigger on double action(first shot) is kind of long but the rest are good. Perceived recoil is a lot more then my other two 380s (S&W Bodyguard and Sig P238). Hard to rack. Grips suck. It is not a pocket pistol (for me) so I am hunting for a decent holster. Neet to get out and put about 1-200 rounds thru it.

Here is my target. 5 & 7 yards,

ppks target.JPG

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
> I had trouble picking up the front site so put some paint on it.

Testors hivis Orange for the win. If I were really crazed and didn't mind marring the perfection (I do) I might vise down the slide, drill very small divots on the rear sight posts after precisely marking POI with a laser boresight, and add vertical alignment dots in hiviz green … but just changing don't-see-me red to hiviz orange was good enough to put 2 mags straight into the X at 7 yards, and that's reversible with a bit of enamel paint thinner if desired.
I agree with you on the front sight. Being a middle aged guy, that stock front sight is tough to see.

I realize the fixed but small front sight is in keeping with spirit of the early guns. I'd like to see Walther come out with a arguably more modern version with a dovetailed front and more eye grabbing front sight.

They are half way there now with the extended tang, melonite finish and optimized feedramp. With all that changed, why then go classic on the sights?

·
Registered
72 Posts

I just got the new Ft Smith PPK/S in .380. Just got thru feeding 100 rounds with no problems. Have to agree, the sights kinda suck. Recoil is rough (for me) on the web of my right hand. Next time out I try with shooting gloves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Perhaps, both of my PPK/s pistols that are sitting unused, due to my carpal tunnel?

Even if you don't buy from me..a PPKs/stainless .380 from Interarms (S14900XX)would be a good choice. and a current PPK/s black .22 from early 2019 would be good as well.

They shoot OK, and I've only shot a couple mags through the stainless.

I'm more of a PPQ guy, and need to buy a PPQ SUB-Compact XS

I'll be listing them later today in the classifieds/ spare mags and holsters go with them.

https://ibb.co/album/mQxcwF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts