Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where have you guys found your best Walther prices ??

Docs Walthers looks good to me... any others to check out ?

Anyone here dealt with Docs and have good things to say ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Darth, I wish I would have know about that place a week ago!! I could have saved 40$. One thing I noticed @Docs is the cashier chk or MO only.

If there is nothing fishy with shipping (and handling). It looks like a good place to go. But, I have not used them so I can't speak to their service.

Good Luck!

this is my first post. GREAT SITE

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah m3... definitely cool. I'm just scoping things out here... I'm pretty set on getting a P99... just need to overanalyze like usual... make sure I get the lowest price... .40 or 9... (probably .40)... and I might even get the OD green one... it's growing on me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Be sure to keep in mind the charges that are not mentioned. The big one is the FFL transfer fee. All the gunshops in my area charge anywhere from $30 to $70, or a percentage of the purchase price, to have a firearm transferred if you don't buy from them.

This cost is usually offset by not having to pay sales tax though. Also keep shipping in mind.

Sometimes its worth the extra $20 at your local gunshop to avoid having the jitters for a week waiting for your new toy to come in!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Buying anything over the net sucks, I know from experience due to where I live. Luckly guns aren't an issue.

When you buy something locally vs over the net you establish a relationship with the people you buy from. I'd have no problems taking my P99 back to the shop I bought from as I trust the people there. If I'd bought it via the net I'd have paid out the arse (no sales tax in OR neener neener) and not gained anything aside a possibly pissy lot of people who may or may not service my weapon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ni3Frontier @ April 01 2004,2:01)]Be sure to keep in mind the charges that are not mentioned. The big one is the FFL transfer fee. All the gunshops in my area charge anywhere from $30 to $70, or a percentage of the purchase price, to have a firearm transferred if you don't buy from them.

This cost is usually offset by not having to pay sales tax though. Also keep shipping in mind.

Sometimes its worth the extra $20 at your local gunshop to avoid having the jitters for a week waiting for your new toy to come in!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Be sure to keep in mind the charges that are not mentioned. The big one is the FFL transfer fee. All the gunshops in my area charge anywhere from $30 to $70, or a percentage of the purchase price, to have a firearm transferred if you don't buy from them.
Yeah, good point, but I just bought my first gun (a PM9) by mail and I found a local pawn shop that does all transfers for $10... so the FFL + shipping is less than sales tax. Plus I saved $100 off the price of my PM9... and from looking around for the P99, looks like online will be the cheapest way.

I'd like to support the local shops, but I can't manage the huge mark-up. Of course, having the gun now rather than later is always a good thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. I am new to handguns...period. I stopped in a local shop two Friday's ago asking about handguns and home defense. I ended up taking the 10 hour NRA Basic Handgun course the next day. That was with a revolver and a Glock 17. Then, last Friday, I rented/tested/fired a Beretta and the P99.

The P99 felt best to me, overall. Though the trainer said he'd rather I 'get into a Glock', after my testing.

So, with 106 rounds under my belt between the 4 guns, I am pretty sure I want the P99.

As with all buying decisions, price comes into play. I believe I can get the P99 at a local store of a regional (national?) chain for about $495. As long as they live up to their price guarantee, that is.

So, should I even bother looking for even more savings, or is that as good as I should expect to find w/o splitting hairs?

Oh, also, if you know of any SIGNIFICANT improvements coming up to the P99 or a replacement piece, I'd be appreciative of the suggestions.

I need to apply for and then figure out how to 'carry' this, too. Since I am a NEWBIE (39 years old, though), I want to buy a gun and use that for 3 or 4 MORE classes.

Am I too naive to try and buy ONE gun that will last the foreseeable future? That's what I'm thinking.

Thanks a lot guys!

PT

·
Registered
263 Posts
PhireThorn,
  Welcome to the board and to handguns!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The P99 felt best to me, overall. Though the trainer said he'd rather I 'get into a Glock', after my testing.
I'd be really skeptical of your trainer's advice to 'get into a Glock'.  Pick what suits you best.  In my opinion, there really is no outstanding advantage to a Glock or other comparable pistol other than their extreme popularity.  If the P99 is most comfortable in your hand and easiest to shoot, go with it regardless of what others say.  For your trainer, Glocks may fit him the best.  But everybody's different.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe I can get the P99 at a local store of a regional (national?) chain for about $495. As long as they live up to their price guarantee, that is.

So, should I even bother looking for even more savings, or is that as good as I should expect to find w/o splitting hairs?
$495 is an incredible price for a new P99.  I wouldn't bother looking for a lower price unless you want to go for a used one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh, also, if you know of any SIGNIFICANT improvements coming up to the P99 or a replacement piece, I'd be appreciative of the suggestions.
The P99 has been redesigned for 2004 and the new versions are going to be out in a little while.  Here is a great site for all things Walther related (mostly P99).  There are pics of the newer P99.  It is mechanically similar to the current versions.  The main changes are a redesigned slide and trigger guard.  I believe the accessory rail has also been changed to accomodate a wider range of accessories.  The P99C (for Compact) will also be released soon;
P99 Webpage

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I need to apply for and then figure out how to 'carry' this, too.
 My experience with carrying is limited; I've only been carrying my 9mm P99 for a few months.  I use a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster.  I can tell you that the holster I chose to go with is very comfortable.  The best feature is that it is fully adjustable for height and cant.  It also has adjustable retention and a choice of attachment methods.  I ordered mine direct from their website; Comp-Tac for $78 shipped.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Am I too naive to try and buy ONE gun that will last the foreseeable future?
It depends on how your experience with the P99 is.  It is a full-size weapon and that may present some problems when concealing in warmer weather when you are wearing less clothing.  I am currently seriously considering buying another pistol in the same caliber that would be easier to conceal in the summer.  I am a small person, so it is more difficult to conceal properly with less clothing on.  

-Yoshi

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phire, What national chain are you talking about ? Galyans ? They do the price matching but it's only with local stores... $495 is a great price, you'll have trouble beating that... especially from a brick & mortar place.

I agree with you Ni3... get what gun fits you, but most of all ignore the Glock zombies... everyone doesn't have to have a Glock.

FYI, my first pistol is my PM9... I wanted to get a full time carry gun to start out rather than deal with having to carry a full size gun. The PM9 is awesome... I carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster ($15). It's VERY easy to carry... just stick it in any jean/slack/short pocket and you're good to go.

I bought it back in February and I thought it would take the edge off my new gun 'craze', but I've got a major hankerin' to get a big German brother for it. So the "one gun" rule may be hard to stick to Phire... (I'm thinkin' .40 this time though to mix it up).

Then with the PM9 and the P99 .40, I'll have:
* A pocket pistol
* A full size pistol
* A .40S&W
* A 9mm
* A DAO
* A DA/SA
etc. etc.

I think it'll be a good combination... as long as my wife doesn't kill me for dropping all this money on firearms all of a sudden...

Where do you live Phire ? Check out www.packing.org ... tons of info. there on state laws... the NRA site is OK too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
While I'm predisposed towards the P99, I can definitely see why your instructor pushed the Glock. Some shooters are strong believers in buying guns that are common. The reasons vary, but it primarily has to do with accessory and parts availability.

The one thing that I'd advise is to pause. As I understand it, you are a beginning shooter who has shot 106 rounds spread over four different firearms. I don't mean this comment to be offensive, but there is a lot of shooting knowledge you don't have, simply because you don't have the experience. The more you shoot, the more you will find what you like in a gun and what you don't like in a gun. -Can you rent the gun for the classes?

If you're only going to get one gun, you could do far worse than the P99. It is a great gun. However, I'd expect your preferences regarding firearms to emerge the more shooting you do. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds and I have moved quite far from my initial gun preferences. (Maybe you'll be lucky and get it right the first time, but most shooters I know have evolving taste.) In time, you might find that you want the compact model of the P99 instead of the full size gun. You may decide that you want DAO or a QA instead of the DA/SA of the standard P99. You may decide that you want a 1911 because they're excellent for customization and the .45 ACP is a great round. -There are a lot of possibilities, so I wouldn't wed myself to the one gun concept if I were you.

Similarly with carrying a gun, there is no one perfect solution. Weather, clothing choices, and what you're going to be doing dictates holster choice. For example, IWB is a great way to carry concealed unless you happen to be a driver. It's not comfortable and it's hard to reach. You're going to need to think about it. Try holsters that belong to your friends, in order to see what works for you.

Regarding your price question, $495 is a great price for a new P99. However, that price almost sounds like something from an online sale. Many gun stores do not honor the price guarantee when their competition is an online dealer. -They generally don't have to because a lot of the online guys do not have the guns in stock (the small print of the price match guarantee) since they operate out their homes. The gun is something they'll order from a distributor when they have an order. Also whatever chain you are considering may force you to add in shipping costs and transfer fees when doing a price match. -Some FFL dealers are getting very cagey about their online competition. Many have started to charge a percentage of the gun's value as part of the transfer fee. Normally you can find a FFL who doesn't but it is something you need to check on before buying the gun. Again, if you can get it for $495, great, but I think $530 -$560 is more likely.

Good luck-

·
Registered
6 Posts
I paid $580 for my p99 and had no problem doing it. He had to order the gun for me, and that was the price I was quoted. This shop was recommended to me by 4 separate people on different occasions as being very friendly and offering great customer service, and I had no problem paying an extra $60 or so for those things. I am always suprised when people will bend over backwards to save less than 10% of the cost of a gun, and sacrifice the benefits of supporting your local shop. It sounds like PT has found a good shop and I hope he gets a good price, but I just wanted to remind everyone that the best price is not always the most important thing to consider when choosing who you will be giving your business.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for replies. The gun shop by me charges $10 to rent a gun. I'd rather decide on one and buy it.

And I am trying to take it as 'slow' as I can. I took a class before anything.

I also bought these books online tonight. I'll read them before buying anything:

The Concealed Handgun Manual: How to Choose, Carry, and Shoot a Gun in Self Defense

Tactical Pistol Marksmanship: How to Improve Your Combat Shooting Skills

Bullseyes Don't Shoot Back: The Complete Textbook of Point Shooting for Close Quarters Combat

Concealed Carry: The Shooter's Guide to Selecting Handguns

I still am thinking about a nice small S&W 642 Airlite for carrying purposes as well. I really like the size/weight, though I've not shot it.

Sorry - my intention was not to hijack this thread.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PhireThorn @ April 14 2004,12:03)]Thanks for replies. The gun shop by me charges $10 to rent a gun. I'd rather decide on one and buy it.
I looked ay my question and realized I had not worded it right.  I was trying to say that renting a few more different guns (such as that S&W Airweight 642) and getting more rounds under your belt should give you a decent idea of what will work best for you.  

I appreciate that you don't want to spend say $50 on five rentals when you can put that amount towards a new gun, but over the long run it's cheaper to do the hands-on research than to buy a gun and then end up selling it because you discover that something else would work better for you.

The reason I mention this is that you stated that you were considering the Airweight revolver as well.  There is quite a difference between revolvers and semi-auto pistols.  If memory serves, the Airweight 642 is a five round revolver with an aluminum frame.  The P99 is bigger, heavier, and has twice the capacity with the ten round mags (and potentially three times the capacity in 9mm with high-cap mags).  

-I'm not saying get this or get that.  Each has its pluses and minuses.  By trying the Airweight, you may find that its lighter frame may produce a perceived recoil that is more than you like.  Then again, you may find you prefer revolvers.  

As I said before the P99 is a great gun.  It's just a matter of making sure that it is the right gun for you.  Shooting different guns and different calibers can help you reach that conclusion in a way that books and forum comments cannot.  You have already shot four guns and 100 rounds.  With that experience you have been able to choose one of those four guns as a potential purchase.  -Imagine that the P99 had not been there and you were currently getting ready to buy a Glock.  If you tried more guns, and the P99 was in that second batch, you'd forget the Glock and  get the P99.  Now, do you think if you had shot more guns, your decision would be the same?

Of course, it's your money so you should do what you want...

Good luck-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I will definitely try more guns out, first, before I buy.

I'll have to go to a different range/store, though. MOST of their guns available for rent are Glocks. I'd like to get a feel for other brands, first. However, I do believe I'd like to stick with 9mm as I start out.

That being said, they have few others that I can try that 'feel good' when just holding them in my hand. If it doesn't feel good w/o firing it, I have not desired to rent/fire it. Or, should I not be crossing them off based on that, but instead wait for an actual test firing?

I have been trying to work some more compact models into my testing, but again they have not had the selection to do so.

How many rounds should one put through a gun to get an understanding of how it feels? (as a way to make a buy decision, that is)

And again, I'll be waiting to read those four books first. They might give me some more factors to consider, I'm hoping.

Or, maybe I'll be a pretty educated, trained handgunner w/o ever owning a handgun.

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (PhireThorn @ April 14 2004,1:10)]That being said, they have few others that I can try that 'feel good' when just holding them in my hand. If it doesn't feel good w/o firing it, I have not desired to rent/fire it. Or, should I not be crossing them off based on that, but instead wait for an actual test firing?
-Actually, that's a great way to eliminate a gun.  If it does not feel good in your hand when you're just holding it, you're probably never going to like shooting it.  I've had a couple of friends who were FFL's and I cannot tell you how many guns they get in used for just that reason.

After you figure out what guns feel good, firing them is the acid test.  -Years ago, I was interested in a Walther PP in .380 for CCW.  It felt great in the hand.  I took one that belonged to a friend out onto the range and fired it.  It took less than ten rounds for me to figure out that the gun, while accurate, was uncomfortable to fire since I felt the round was a little snappy.  I crossed it off my list and it didn't become a $400+ mistake for me.  -Usually, you'll know pretty quickly if it's something that's not right for you.  

In addition to firing the gun, I would suggest handling the gun, trying its features.  This can tell you a lot.  For example, some people hate hitting the extraction rod on a revolver, others don't care.  Some semi-auto guns have the mag release at the bottom of the grip (a European feature to avoid accidentally dropping the mag), some people like this and many don't.  

At this point, I try to rent (or borrow from a friend) any gun I'm considering for purchase.  I drove almost an hour away to a range in order to try the P99.  I look at it like I'm test driving a car.  I rather lose $8 - $10 on a rental, than sink $500+ into something that may not work for me.  -You can always sell your mistakes online (GunsAmerica and Gunbroker), but why go through the hassle when with a little effort you can get it right the first time.

I understand that your choices may be limited due to what the range has available for rent, but that means you might want to pay another range a visit.  In the alternative, you might want to speak to your instructor or classmates.  Those individuals may have one of the guns (or a similar model) that you're interested in trying.

-Since the P99 is a great gun, it is likely that you may end up coming back to it, but it'll be because you've started to understand what you like in a gun and what you don't like, not because it was the best of a narrow experience.

·
Registered
58 Posts
RE: Docs

He is a good dealer. I have purchased several guns from him in the past -- including my first P99.

However, I always bought at a gun show.

·
Registered
187 Posts
PhireThorn,
Kudos for taking the NRA course. Good decision.
That's a great price for a P99, Got mine in 2002 for $529.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[b said:
Quote[/b] (J Hoss @ April 15 2004,7:40)]RE: Docs

He is a good dealer. I have purchased several guns from him in the past -- including my first P99.

However, I always bought at a gun show.
Thanks J for the reference on Docs... still haven't 'pulled the trigger' yet... I'm the master of procrastination/analysis paralysis.

So "Doc" is a dentist huh ? Weird to call asking about a gun and get a receptionist... I guess the name should have clued me in...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Darth,
I don't know your location.
If want the least expensive deal shop Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, or here in the Trade Section.

However, for a first time buyer, you might pick a gun show.

Do fondle as many as possible to find the right fit. Shoot it a while then if you want trade or buy another.

My first handgun was a S&W .357 about 30 years ago. Which I kept and shot a number of years. Then I started trading......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts