Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 P99's, two with factory sights, one with Big Dot 24/7...am looking for some night sights that I can use on a "night stand" piece or could double for a piece that I use for USPSA shooting ...what do you suggest?

·
Registered
30 Posts
also happy with my two sets of Meps.
12 yr. warranty, fairly easy install,
bright at night and well defined white
dots during the day.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (r1blur @ Nov. 13 2005,08:57)]also happy with my two sets of Meps.
dots during the day.
What about others who said they still had to smith the mepros a bit in order for them to fit properly?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ Nov. 13 2005,16:06)]My Meps slide right in with a little wiggle.
That is what I would expect, because of the way the gun is designed. I planned to buy a set one day,but after reading a couple of comments from 2 people a while back, I was having second thoughts...

·
Registered
30 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Nov. 13 2005,09:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (r1blur @ Nov. 13 2005,08:57)]also happy with my two sets of Meps.
dots during the day.
What about others who said they still had to smith the mepros a bit in order for them to fit properly?
I had no trouble installing them per the instructions.
No machining or modifications. Okay, maybe I did "wiggle" them
a bit......

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was one of the guys that had a 'smith put a set of Mepros on a P99 (it was only a $15 job and he did it on the spot.) I wouldn't hesitate to get another set for a different P99. Maybe that set would slide right in for me like some other folks have had luck with.

I also have the "Glock front sight tool" now to make it easier the next time around too. That is one small screw!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was asked a question that I could not answer- somebody please help me- The guy I took my pistol courses from is against night sights- he says that as a cop he has cleared a lot of buildings and known exactly where the cops were without his flashlight because he could see their sights- also, and here is the question, he asks, when are you going to be able to see your target 25 feet away and not be able to see your sights 2 feet away. And if you can NOT see your target why are you shooting at it? Seems like a reasonable question, although I am sure there are pluses to night sights--- right?

·
Registered
149 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MemphisWalther @ Nov. 14 2005,09:35)]I was asked a question that I could not answer- somebody please help me- The guy I took my pistol courses from is against night sights- he says that as a cop he has cleared a lot of buildings and known exactly where the cops were without his flashlight because he could see their sights- also, and here is the question, he asks, when are you going to be able to see your target 25 feet away and not be able to see your sights 2 feet away. And if you can NOT see your target why are you shooting at it? Seems like a reasonable question, although I am sure there are pluses to night sights--- right?
""I was asked a question that I could not answer- somebody please help me- The guy I took my pistol courses from is against night sights- he says that as a cop he has cleared a lot of buildings and known exactly where the cops were without his flashlight because he could see their sights- also, and here is the question, he asks, when are you going to be able to see your target 25 feet away and not be able to see your sights 2 feet away. And if you can NOT see your target why are you shooting at it? Seems like a reasonable question, although I am sure there are pluses to night sights--- right?""

You may correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe your instructor has too much experience or knowledge on the eyes or lighting conditions. First point, he MAY have been able to see the other officers with their sights if he was behind them, and he knew what he was looking for. I will say that the average joe criminal would not know the little glowing dots were. Next, is when you can see the target and not your sights. Well our eyes have better acuity for large things and movement in the dark. From personal experience camping and the like I can say it is very easy to see a person running at me but have it e dark enough that I can not see CLEARLY the words on paper. Yes I know words on paper are different enough from sights to draw a distinction, but I beleive my point is made. Sights take enough light to see them clearly, while a big moving mass in the dark is still easily distinguishable without as much light. I hope this reads better than I think it does.
Patrick
P.S. I take my knowledge from my sensation and perception class in college less than a year back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im with you on the big object little object thing- what you say makes sense to me, but he did address the fact the sights could only be seen from the side and the rear- he said many threats may see you before you see them, from the side or the rear, basically that only in hollywood westers is the bad dude always in front of you when you draw your gun. He turned off the range lights and you could see all the cops sights, even if you didnt know what they were. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are with them personally; sometimes tritium might save the day but in some situations, be they statistically small, they may work to your disadvantage.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Realistically, someone is going to be able to see you in the dark well before they are able to see your night sights.  Also, if someone is already behind you, he has the tactical initiative to take you out.  In that case, the night sights aren't the reason you're in a losing position.  -It's not the movies.  You will not be a ninja, stalk a ninja, or be stalked by a ninja.  Odds are, if you are to be confronted by someone, the person will have less training than you have obtained for yourself.  What will give him the initiative is that he has the element of surprise on his side.  That's it.  If you can blunt that advantage, an assailant is basically out of tricks unless he has numbers (i.e. a partner or partners).

With all this firearms and tactics stuff, you have to consider what are your most likely threat scenarios.  Forget cop movies and forget zombie movies.  Most people here are civilians and their primary concerns are self defense situations where they're being approached while in public or they are at home during a break-in.  In the first case, out in public, it is very easy for someone to get the drop on a person by coming up behind the guy or having their partner come up behind the guy.  You're unlikely to be in a predator dilemma where you are chasing each other around with loaded guns, hiding, and having to worry about the night sights giving away your position.  In the second case, home invasion, you should be able to control what is behind you at all times.  In that scenario, the bad guy(s) will have to come to you.  Unless you go forward to engage them and let yourself get flanked, they're not going to see the night sights at all.

I find night sights very useful in low light situations.  The guy who's worried about night sights giving away his position is a guy who's worried about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  He's definitely focused his attention on the wrong thing.  It makes me wonder what he thinks about his department issue flashlight or his shiny badge possibly reflecting a little light or even the jingle of his keys giving away his position.  This is one of those things where you need to keep perspective.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I carry a Surefire Z2 combat light every place I carry my P99.
IMO, anyone who carries a pistol should carry a light. Night sights are just a tool that I would not depend on by themselves in a very dark environment.
Also blinding the $hit out of an aggressor is an advantage.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, this thread has some good input but I guess what I am asking is, I have 1 P99 with Big Dot sights, and two with factory sights...I am thinking of getting another set of sights. I shoot this pistol for competition too...so I gues what I am asking is what are the best set of night sights out there that are available for the P99. I want to put them on myself and am not interested in fitting and filing...the Big Dot's went on without a problem.....

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Nov. 14 2005,15:33)]so I gues what I am asking is what are the best set of night sights out there that are available for the P99. I want to put them on myself and am not interested in fitting and filing...the Big Dot's went on without a problem.....
In a topic dominated by opinion, I'd toss the word best from your question...  That said, I have had good experience with several brands of nights sights.  They are Trijicon, Novak, Wilson Combat, and the ones for the P99 from Earl's Repair Service.  The latter three are quasi-custom sights, but I believe they all use the tritium inserts manufactured by Trijicon.  

I have used guns equipped with these night sights in competition as well as for carry purposes.  I have had no problem picking them up and hitting the target whether the light was low, regular, or bright.  So if I were to buy another set of night sights it would definitely be something that makes use of the inserts manufactured by Trijicon.  -You can't ignore a good track record.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
On other guns, I have always loved the Meprolights. I had some trijicons installed by Glock on a Glock 26 I recently sold after 8 years. The white circles around the inserts scratch easily, and then it is less comfortable to use in the day time.

I really like the large, white circles buit into meprolight sights. Great for day and night time.

I think I will buy a set eventually, and just hope that I need not any smithing work...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Shipwreck,  I have meps and like them even though I posted with a fit problem a while back. Great customer service as I broke two front sets trying to get them tight.  Not sure if the deal was of slide design or their manufacture but it was an easy fix of filing the bottom of the front site a bit.  The guy that posted his front was wiggly probaly has this problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have experience with both Trijicon and Meps. I find that the Trij models (Beretta, SIG, Walther) fit the slides better, but the Meps have a better sight-picture. That is, the Meps are often difficult to install (too big), but have a slightly larger, whiter outline in daylight.

On my P99C, the Meps look far better from the shooter's perspective (yes, I tried both), but the base of the rear sight needed to be filed down by quite a bit. An even then, they are almost too tight for the adjustment screw to move. At least they are never going to work their way out and fall off!

ciadst

·
Registered
47 Posts
If youre comfortable and happy with teh big dots, why no try a set of tritium big dots?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts