Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a PDP Compact when it first came out but I haven't found myself using it often. I was hoping to get a gun that was fun at the range and good for concealed carry on occasion but I've barely used mine for either. I have a g43x which is much easier for me to carry and I think I would end up upgrading alot of parts to turn the pdp into more of a range toy. Instead of upgrading parts I've decided to just buy a Q4 or Q5 SF - do you think it's better to list the PDP on this forum & Gunbroker or to try and trade the PDPc+cash for a used Q4/Q5 SF on the forum? Or possibly trade it to a dealer and buy a Q series from them?

- Also does anyone have a link to a source that lists the different Q4/Q5 SF variants and their features because I've seen a wide range of prices on New Q4's (Some look like they have a different coating but i can't tell).

PDP Info: Roughly 300rds through the gun total, never carried it
  • Trijicon HD Sights
  • Mounted a HS507c Green Dot but I havent had time to shoot the gun since mounting it. Might include it depending on buyer/SF model I buy
  • Three 15rd Mags
  • BlackArch Custom Multicam Revcon with DCC clips - also never used

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Why not get a Q4 SF and put your PDP slide on it? Best of both worlds.

Keep the parts for a backup gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not get a Q4 SF and put your PDP slide on it? Best of both worlds.

Keep the parts for a backup gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I checked to see if that would work but apparently they dont go together. I'm guessing walther will release a PDP SF at some point but not willing to wait.

Which do you guys think would make a better range toy the Q4 or Q5?

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you do decide to sell your PDP on a forum make sure you protect yourself. A lot of scamming going on here and across the entire interwebs. Trust no one! References are a must (and check them!).

I doubt you'll get a very good price for your PDP in trade. YMMV, but most shops in my area will give you 20-35% of the retail price, sometimes less.

IMO, if I was going to try and sell a gun I would do it at a gunshow or locally at consignment. You're much more likely to get 50-80+% of purchase price this way. Try and find a shop that does brisk business. One with an attached range might be ideal. At a gun show a little sign around your neck with a PDP priced at $400-500 would probably sell quite quickly and be more than any shop will give you for it.

As someone who owns both a PDP and a Q4 SF... The PDP might actually be a better gun. Trigger is better and the optics cut is better. Mag release (for me) is easier to reach on the PDP. Q4 will certainly soak up the recoil a bit better but that is all it has going for it on a function level. Q4 is a sexy beast, though.

Q4 SF vs Q5 SF ---- If you can warm up to the looks the Q5 is the superior range pistol. I purchased a Q4 because the lightening cuts, blue trigger, oversized beavertail on the Q5 were not aesthetically pleasing to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually really like the way the Q5 looks - Also just bought the walther Quick Draw Trigger (this really should have come stock on the pdp). Again I don't plan on carrying this so extra length and porting is all good for my purposes. Major reason I like the SF is because it fits my hands infinitely better with the extended beavertail - thats my disappointment with the pdp, they tweaked a few things to make the ergonomics worse, atleast for me.

Just need clarification on two things that I'm looking up now

1. Can I sell a handgun at a gun show in florida? I've never been to one and was under the impression you have to pay for a table or space to sell anything at one?

2. Will the Q5 slide fit seamlessly on a pdp compact frame?

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
I actually really like the way the Q5 looks - Also just bought the walther Quick Draw Trigger (this really should have come stock on the pdp). Again I don't plan on carrying this so extra length and porting is all good for my purposes. Major reason I like the SF is because it fits my hands infinitely better with the extended beavertail - thats my disappointment with the pdp, they tweaked a few things to make the ergonomics worse, atleast for me.

Just need clarification on two things that I'm looking up now

1. Can I sell a handgun at a gun show in florida? I've never been to one and was under the impression you have to pay for a table or space to sell anything at one?

2. Will the Q5 slide fit seamlessly on a pdp compact frame?
Q5 slide WILL NOT fit on a PDP frame.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always hear folks looking for a range gun but I cannot understand the purpose other than entertainment or collecting. If you carry a gun for defense or duty why would want to buy a different model to shoot at the range? I understand you can become proficient in multiple platforms but I would think carrying and shooting different guns would be a dangerous liability. I could see carrying two different sizes of the same platform but two different models? My military experience involved duty sized guns, we didn't have any compacts that we used in my division. There's nothing wrong with carrying a fullsize: they are easier to followup and have more energy. I like the new 3.9"/4" 9mm models myself which are nice compromise. I carried a fullsize 1911A1 for about 15 years both A/IWB and OWB. A few of my law officer friends got hooked on MP's because they were one of the first ergonomic hicaps with multiple sizes in the same platform. I believe Walther is doing a great job on newer models maintaining continuity between different size models in the same platform. I believe Sig is dominating the market on modularity beyond Glock which has been homogenous versus Sig 320 now being homogeneous and modular between most variations of the platform due to mostly interchangeable parts. I see why the DOD choose them: and they are very accurate. Walthers always had a character that I admired and high tolerances which led to great accuracy. Hopefully it stays that way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always hear folks looking for a range gun but I cannot understand the purpose other than entertainment or collecting. If you carry a gun for defense or duty why would want to buy a different model to shoot at the range? I understand you can become proficient in multiple platforms but I would think carrying and shooting different guns would be a dangerous liability. I could see carrying two different sizes of the same platform but two different models? My military experience involved duty sized guns, we didn't have any compacts that we used in my division. There's nothing wrong with carrying a fullsize: they are easier to followup and have more energy. I like the new 3.9"/4" 9mm models myself which are nice compromise. I carried a fullsize 1911A1 for about 15 years both A/IWB and OWB. A few of my law officer friends got hooked on MP's because they were one of the first ergonomic hicaps with multiple sizes in the same platform. I believe Walther is doing a great job on newer models maintaining continuity between different size models in the same platform. I believe Sig is dominating the market on modularity beyond Glock which has been homogenous versus Sig 320 now being homogeneous and modular between most variations of the platform due to mostly interchangeable parts. I see why the DOD choose them: and they are very accurate. Walthers always had a character that I admired and high tolerances which led to great accuracy. Hopefully it stays that way.
So I'm looking for a "range gun" because my edc is a g43x/g48 and there are tradeoffs with micro compacts. I love my g43x/48 - i've put roughly 3,000rds through them in the past year so I figure I'm about 90% as proficient as I'm likely to get with it. I've gotten so used to it that the PDP Compact feels chunky and I don't see much reason to carry it for self defense. I've upgraded my g43x to the point of diminishing returns and while I could shoot my the thing in my sleep the platform has some inherent limitations. Since I know I'm only going to carry a g43x for self defense it doesn't make sense for me to keep a PDP since it shares some of those limitations. I'd like to train with a gun thats heavier and more accurate with less muzzle flip and with a trigger that I can tune to a level that would be unsafe to carry around. While a range gun is partially for entertainment it also lets me work on skills that I can't with a microcompact. Best analogy I can think of is just because you have a bmw M4 doesnt mean you shouldn't buy that Ferrari Moza SP2 for track days.

“Pity those who came before us, for what life could be said to be worth living without the chance to shoot big guns and race fast cars”

- Quotation from The 3am Musings of Armaan
Taken on the 13th day of January in the Year 2022

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you carry a gun for defense or duty why would want to buy a different model to shoot at the range?
You nailed it. Entertainment, that and a better shooting experience than your duty/defensive weapon provides.

I tend to carry a Beretta Pico in .380 these days. It's so tiny I can get about a 1 and 1/2 finger grip on it and it has a Double-Action-Only triggerpull that is fairly stout.

The same features that make the Pico a desirable concealed carry weapon also make it absolutely miserable to shoot at the range for more than a couple boxes of ammo. Accuracy beyond 10-15 meters isn't really possible (in my hands).

So when I want to shoot recreationally instead of "so I can practice defending my life" I use a different gun.

Will it make me less effective than if I only ever shot and trained with one gun? Sure, I suppose so.

That said, I don't live a life where mortal combat is a big part of my day-to-day so I don't worry about it. I carry a gun I'm proficient with and try my best never to have to use it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So I'm looking for a "range gun" because my edc is a g43x/g48 and there are tradeoffs with micro compacts. I love my g43x/48 - i've put roughly 3,000rds through them in the past year so I figure I'm about 90% as proficient as I'm likely to get with it. I've gotten so used to it that the PDP Compact feels chunky and I don't see much reason to carry it for self defense. I've upgraded my g43x to the point of diminishing returns and while I could shoot my the thing in my sleep the platform has some inherent limitations. Since I know I'm only going to carry a g43x for self defense it doesn't make sense for me to keep a PDP since it shares some of those limitations. I'd like to train with a gun thats heavier and more accurate with less muzzle flip and with a trigger that I can tune to a level that would be unsafe to carry around. While a range gun is partially for entertainment it also lets me work on skills that I can't with a microcompact. Best analogy I can think of is just because you have a bmw M4 doesnt mean you shouldn't buy that Ferrari Moza SP2 for track days.

“Pity those who came before us, for what life could be said to be worth living without the chance to shoot big guns and race fast cars”

- Quotation from The 3am Musings of Armaan
Taken on the 13th day of January in the Year 2022
It's sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. You can probably find the best of both worlds with Walther's newer models. I have never seen Glock as a better choice given what's available. I opted for an XD years ago over Glock when I attended training and compared to early models side by side. I was considering the G19X but I ended up happy with an M18. I am glad I choose the Sig due to the modularity and the company is nearby. But sub compacts are just not great at anything other than concealing. So it's a big compromise over a hicap mid sized pistol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts