Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticing some orange developing on an older Walther PP .22LR and need to have someone detail clean/preserve this gun please and thank you so much.

SAMMY!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Honestly unless you want to send it off you'll need to find a local shop.
For what they would charge you in think you could get a decent ultrasonic cleaner and do it yourself for a deep clean.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Orange, like in rust? If so get some oil on that pistol immediately while you sort this out. Any gunsmith could clean it. Preserve it????? Does it need more than a good cleaning and lubing? 1917

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
CLP already applied. It was evident firearm had not been cycled in a long time. The firearm will not be fired in general due to the history of this example. What I am needing is a Walther expert to detail disassemble and preserve the firearm ensuring no rust accumulates. No, I have not seen anything more than surface oranging, the firearm is legit 95% outside of this inconvenience. Sending the firearm off is no problem. It's the question of who specializes in old Walthers and will preserve without scratching/damaging the firearm. Yes, I'm sure I could detail disassemble myself, but I would rather have someone whose done it a million times versus a few times. Translation - the type who would not add a stupid scratch to a 1911. Please and thank you.

Thanx.
SAMMY!

·
Registered
94 Posts
M&M Gunsmithing in Hazel Green, AL. He was with Interarms and knows Walthers--and everything else they sold--inside and out. As long as you're okay with the shipping to and from equaling or exceeding the cost of the work, he's your guy.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I think there is something to be learned if you plan on storing the pistol for years. In the past I plastered some inner parts with Tetra gun grease only to find five years later the stuff had hardened, turned into so kind of brown blob and wasn't doing much of anything. I'm not sure something like Hoppes #9 would work either. A safe, secure, dry storage spot that is not subject to temp extremes or high humidity would seem like a safe bet. I'd be interested in the recommendations of an expert too. What process do museums use? 1917

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
I vote with 1917'. If the gun has dry storage, and is spared big temperature swings, rust just shouldn't be an issue.
Field strip it, take off the grips, throw it in a bucket of kerosene. Give it a couple day soak, blow it out with dry compressed air.
Lube it with good oil, blow out the excess, call it good.
Pull it out every couple three years, rinse/repeat.
Moon

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Well, Mike at M&M certainly should be able to accomplish this job with his eyes closed. Some of these Forums might have a good discussion on how to clean and preserve a firearm for long term storage. Of course the OP didn't say he wouldn't take the pistol out on a routine basis for a little tender loving care. 1917

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spend a few dollars on a vacuum food saver system (less than $50 at Wal-Mart or the like). Oil your gun as if you were using it every day, vacuum bag it and don't worry about it. Works for long guns too. Make your first bag extra long so you can access the piece and then reinsert and seal it again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Been reflecting on this thread, and I'll even confess to a weakness to stainless gun, because they don't require a wipe after every

handling. The point being, what fun is a pistol you can only handle once a decade, after you take it out of the shrink wrap?
If it's the Lincoln Derringer or the Hitler Walther, then put it in a sealed mausoleum, like Lenin's corpse.

Otherwise, enjoy the damned thing, store it someplace relatively dry (and put a Golden Rod in your safe), and don't sweat the small stuff.
Moon

Reactions: pilkguns
1 - 10 of 10 Posts