Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting International Defensive Pistol Association ("IDPA") meets for now over three years; and I am also beginning my second year shooting United States Practical Shooting Association ("USPSA") meets. I initially vacillated between shooting my wife's CZ 75-SP01 9mm and my own Walther PPQ M2 (5 inch barrel) 9mm. The CZ, which frame is steel constructed, has significantly less muzzle flip; but the magazine release button on the CZ is poorly located requiring me, even with large hands, to use the non-dominant hand to engage the release button. Also, I found the Walther slide release lever to be readily available with both the slide and magazine releases easily engaged with the same hand holding the gun. I have now concluded, without reservation, that the Walther is the very best hand to use for IDPA. I know, many have complained as to inadvertent engagement of the magazine release button; and I encountered the same problem initially before I improved my grip. Now, it never happens. I know that the folks partial to Glock, S&W, H&K, etc. will most likely disagree with my opinion; but the engineering which went into the Walther is readily apparent. In case anyone is wondering as to what I use for USPSA events, I am now experimenting with use of my Smith & Wesson Model 27 (8 3/8 inch barrel) .357 magnum. I am not using my Walther because (1) the .357 magnum qualifies me for "major power factor" with the USPSA, and (2) I attend the IDPA and USPSA events to improve my safety, handling and accuracy of firearms owned with the USPSA more suitable for the revolver which I intend to carry as a side arm when hunting in those states permitting same.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I use my Q5 for IDPA/USPSA events, shooting factory ammo. I am going on 74, and small built, but I have no trouble controlling recoil, because I use my support hand with the "grip of death". If you really squeeze down with it and lock your wrists, the recoil will dramatically decrease.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a different approach to gun recoil. I simply allow the muzzle flip to occur and then bring the firearm back on target. I know that this may be unorthodox but it avoids "flinching" in anticipation of the recoil. I have been advised to place a penny on the front target sight and dry fire the gun without having the penny fall. This keeps the gun focused on the target. Great advise! The time it takes to get the gun back on target is minimal on counterbalance with keeping the muzzle "locked" on the target when shooting. I use this same technique when shooting my wife's CZ 75 SP-01 and my own Smith & Wesson Model 27 although, quite frankly, the gun platform minimally, if any, moves. Anyhow, my initial posting was intended to complement Walther for the excellent engineering of the PPQ with its positioning of magazine and slide releases.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have been shooting International Defensive Pistol Association ("IDPA") meets for now over three years; and I am also beginning my second year shooting United States Practical Shooting Association ("USPSA") meets. I initially vacillated between shooting my wife's CZ 75-SP01 9mm and my own Walther PPQ M2 (5 inch barrel) 9mm. The CZ, which frame is steel constructed, has significantly less muzzle flip; but the magazine release button on the CZ is poorly located requiring me, even with large hands, to use the non-dominant hand to engage the release button. Also, I found the Walther slide release lever to be readily available with both the slide and magazine releases easily engaged with the same hand holding the gun. I have now concluded, without reservation, that the Walther is the very best hand to use for IDPA. I know, many have complained as to inadvertent engagement of the magazine release button; and I encountered the same problem initially before I improved my grip. Now, it never happens. I know that the folks partial to Glock, S&W, H&K, etc. will most likely disagree with my opinion; but the engineering which went into the Walther is readily apparent. In case anyone is wondering as to what I use for USPSA events, I am now experimenting with use of my Smith & Wesson Model 27 (8 3/8 inch barrel) .357 magnum. I am not using my Walther because (1) the .357 magnum qualifies me for "major power factor" with the USPSA, and (2) I attend the IDPA and USPSA events to improve my safety, handling and accuracy of firearms owned with the USPSA more suitable for the revolver which I intend to carry as a side arm when hunting in those states permitting same.
You guys must have to do a lot of mag changes during a competition in NJ with 10rd mag restrictions

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NJ's 10 Round Mag Limit

The last information I received concerning the NRA's challenge to New Jersey's recently enacted statute reducing magazine capacity from 15 to 10 rounds was that the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the District Court's decision to permit the statute to remain enforced by a 2 to 1 vote. Anyone have information as to whether the 3rd Circuit has been asked to revisited the decision en banc and/or whether petition for certiorari has been filed with the United States Supreme Court?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Back to IDPA for a minute. I too use the Walther in IDPA. I am a bit of a gun whore so bare with me. I have a PPQ M2 5" for SSP, a PPQ MAtch with an Optic for Optic Division and I am in between a Navy or the new Tac 4 Optic ready for CCP. Up here the Navy goes for $750Cdn or $525US on the gently used market. I have a 'smith who will cut the barrel on the Navy to 106MM which is short enough for IDPA CCP Division. The PPQ 4"would be my first choice but alas it is illegal up here with the 4" barrel,

IDPA has been dominated by the polymer guns for a number of years and I think the OP is spot on using his PPQ for IDPA SSP Division. I really think the Walther PPQ is, along with the SIG 320 series the top of the food chain when it comes to polymer striker fired pistols. Both are just that much better than anything else out there right now.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
121 Posts
You guys must have to do a lot of mag changes during a competition in NJ with 10rd mag restrictions
IDPA and USPSA rules dictate that your mags should be loaded with 10 rounds anyway, even if your mags happen to fit more. So it doesn't matter.

I use Walther Q5 Match SF for IDPA (SSP division) and USPSA (Production division).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.