Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again, just wondering what self defense ammo you all use and what would cycle best in my p990? Also what should i expect to pay? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I'm working on a website that should help answer those types of questions

I have some Federal Hydra Shock in my mag right now. That was a pricey $18 for 20 rounds but I got it at a local gun store. I then got a bunch of 50 round boxes from New Outdoors Man ( http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65) . Some JHP, some FMJ, just to try them out. I was quite surprised to find that one type actually wouldn't feed reliably, Winchester 180 Gr JHP jammed 3 times out of 47. Yesterday I fired 47 rounds of Federal Classic self defense, no problems.

Basically to be sure your 990 likes your ammo you'll have to try a few kinds and shoot a significant number of them to get confidence. Looking at the various JHP ammo I got I'm not sure it's worth the extra $$ to get 'high end' but only gelatin tests would a real test short of shooting someone.

Order a variety pack of ammo and head to the range!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have my self defense mags loaded with Federal 124 gr +p Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ) rounds. I like the expansion and penetration properties and they seem to be less susceptible to the "clogging" that can happen with the tip of JHPs.
I did a little "experimenting" with EFMJ a while back. I put the results on my website, here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/ballistics.html I ran about 300 rounds through 6 different pistols (50 each) and I didn't have a single problem with feeding or firing.

I bought 500 rounds of the stuff from Ammoman for $175 (delivered). Quick service, too (ordered on Sunday, delivered on Wednesday).

Hope this helps!
Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Lately it's been the RA9T, 147 grain Winchester Ranger Talon's...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here's the AmmoLab website - You'll likely find very useful tests, info, & opinions there.
To echo everyone's "Your model may vary" - testing is the rule....

FWIW I rely on 127 +p+ sxt Rangers in my P7M8 & I've tested CorBon Powerball which I've thought to use in the P5/P5c

HTH,
b-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts