Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in acquiring a PPK in .380 for Concealed Carry Personal Protection. I like the feel of the Smith and Wesson Produced Weapon...as well as the fact that it doesn’t “bite.” However, I am concerned about the frequent mention of “Failure to Feed” and other problems. Is there sufficient data to minimize the chances of a problem weapon?

1. Is there a difference in the rate of occurrence of problems with “pre-recall” vs “post-recall” weapons?
2. Is there a difference in the rate of occurrence of problems with blued vs stainless steel weapons.

·
Registered
256 Posts
from what I have read on here, it is pure luck of the draw,
I've owned 2 Interarms, my first in 1997, and the one I have now, and have never been bitten by the slide,
stupid easy to avoid, just pay attention to what you are doing, and how you are shooting, stuff you really should be doing anyway.
and after a few trips to the range, your muscle memory will kick in and it will be natural to hold it properly.

if I had to get a S&W I guess I would go for a recently produced one, and hope maybe they have had time to work out the bugs.

or as odd as it may sound, buy a used one that some one is selling that has already proven to be one of the good ones.

Personally I cant stand the look of that dumb ass beaver tail on the S&W!
thats not what a Walther PPK or PPK/S is suppose to look like,

I think S&W should be forced to rename the gun to a Walther ppk "type" pistol.

seriously if you have ever compared a S&W and a real Walther or even an interarms version, the difference if finish, fit, and quality are just not there with the S&W.
at least through my eyes.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Truthseeker: You might want to do some browsing of the numerous threads we've here in the past couple of years, such as this one ...

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...e-note-your-experience-your-s-w-made-ppk.html

... which will give you a good indication of folks reactions to the issues you mention. The S&W-made pistols seem to be crapshoot of hit-or-miss: You either get one that works or you don't. That's true of both the pre- and post-recall pistols. I don't know that we've ever drawn any conclusions about the blued models vs. the stainless models, likely because there are far more stainless pistols out there.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
I've not heard of any relationship between finish and reliability. Also, it appears that problems reported with weapons of post-recall manufacture have tapered off somewhat from the pre-recall versions, but that may just be my perception.

As for my particular PPK/S in stainless, I had two malfunctions during the initial break-in and magazine check of 58 shots. After that, the gun settled down and I've only had one failure to feed since, in well over 600 rounds fired, and that occurred when someone else was firing it, so I suspect it may have been shooter-induced. During this time, I've been unable to find an ammunition that this gun will not feed reliably, from FMJ to JHP, including JHP with some really nasty-looking profiles—stuff you'd think would easily induce a jam.

I concur with your assessment on the tang. In direct comparisons with my Interarms PPK/S (also stainless), the gun is much easier to shoot, keeps the web of my hand away from the slide, and allows for quicker target reacquisition during followup shots. If you get a good, reliable weapon, the enlarged tang in my opinion is a definite improvement in both ergonomics and control.

The question is, will you get a good, reliable weapon?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check Gunbroker for a Manurin or an Interarms ppk/s.

Also Simpson Collectable firearms has a goodly number of walthers (mostly pp's) in everything from .22 to 380

·
Registered
256 Posts
Check Gunbroker for a Manurin or an Interarms ppk/s.

Also Simpson Collectable firearms has a goodly number of walthers (mostly pp's) in everything from .22 to 380
Agreed, I got one hell of a nice Interarms PPK/S (looks as close to new as I would want) for about $450.00

and just ignore the people trying to get $650.00 for one, they are not really wanting to sell unless an Idiot comes along, and most have been there for a long time.

look for the guy needing to sell a gun. who starts his auction at 350-400.

I also bought an Interarms PPK for 400.00 and Sold it for a little profit, just take your time and watch the auctions, and deals can be had.

here is one I bid up to $499.00 it probably wont bring much more than where it is now. and looks new, Original owner never fired, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=224962631
I actually have a bid on there right now for a really rough looking W. German PPK,
for parts if it is beyond saving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts