Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pick up a good leather belt holster for my new P99. I want something that would be suitable for range use, IDPA, and concealed carry. What do you guys use?

I don't really like paddle holsters. I would think pancake holsters offer the best for concealed carry. I don't know what you call the other style of holster that has one loop behind the holster and one on a "wing." What do you guys use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if my first post was confusing! I'm sure I'd like to get an IWB at some point, but when I said belt holster, I guess I meant OWB holster. I'm not up on holster terminology.:eek:

What I was trying to ask was for info on specific models. I'd also like to know what the pluses and minuses are for a holster like the black hills belt slide holster vs their comfort belt scabbard. Those seem to be the two most popular OWB styles besides a paddle holster. I know I want a forward cant, and I know I want leather, with reinforcement around the opening. I want it to hold close to the body for carry.

It seems the general consensus for IWB is the Milt Sparks VMII, but I don't see much consensus for OWB. The thread you cited seems to mostly have info about kydex holsters. I don't mind dropping some big bucks on a holster, but I want one that I will enjoy wearing. Those Black Hills holsters do look nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I belive that the best holster for the best price is a Bianchi. They only make one holster for it. The Shadow II. I have one and it works perfectly for me. Its an OWB, leather holster with a thumb break. Im 5'11 135lbs and I can conceal my P99 well in any weather. I also have the same holsters for my Kimber Pro Carry II and My Sig P220 Combat. I think I paid $45.00 for each of mine. Im also a fan of De Santis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was doing some searching online last night. It seems that very nice leather holsters can be had from quite a few of the makers for around $80. In that price range I liked the look of the Milt Sparks, Haugen, and Bulman lines. I'm guessing that the Milt Sparks holsters are made for the P99, considering I've read comments about people using the VersaMaxII. Bulman and Haugen list the P99 on their websites.

I'm still wondering what the common opinion is between a pancake style holster, and the style with two loops, one trailing the gun on a wing and one between the gun and the body. As an example, I am considering the Equalizer and the Pro Carry, both by Haugen Handgun Leather.
http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com...earch=fromSearch&btnSearch.x=8&btnSearch.y=11

Does the Equalizer style not hold as close to the body for concealed carry? I have a cheap Uncle Mike's nylon OWB holster for my P99, and have noticed while trying to wear it concealed that it does not hold the butt of the gun in tight to the body, making it very difficult to conceal. It also does not have a firm hold of the pistol at all. I also have an IWB from High Noon which holds the pistol very firmly, and even though it only has one belt clip, it seems to hold the pistol tighter to the body than the Uncle Mike's pancake holster does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Kraigster414, that UBG Bonneville looks pretty nice. His prices are good too. I still have to mull this over a little. I think I have some good possibilities. Let me know if there are any others I should consider, or if any of the ones I mentioned aren't so good.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You might want to check out FIST and Tucker as well. Much shorter wait on FIST.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.