Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the walther forums but have been on the other boards for awhile. I have a ppk/s and p22 and have been thinking about a p99 in 9mm. My real question is does anyone have a berns & martin shoulder holster for their ppk? I have never actually seen one, unless I count James Bonds but I would see one if anyone has a picture.
Thanks

Cazio

·
Registered
2,808 Posts

The fellow advising Ian Fleming about Bond's firearms, Geoffrey Boothroyd suggested to Fleming that Bond carry a Smith & Wesson Centennial Airweight in a Bern's Martin Triple Draw Holster.

Fleming however did not fully understand the nature of the Berns Martin Holster and had Bond carrying both the Walther and the Smith & Wesson in one. That's not as bad a "gaff" as a lot of folks make out. The Berns- Martin is essentially a split front holster, and while it works best with revolvers, it was adapted to automatics. Ed McGivern's "Book of Fast & Fancy Revolver Shooting" has an illustration of a Berns Martin for the 1911.

So in a fictional world, it is possible Berns Martin made up a holster for the PPK. But when Fleming has Bond wearing the Triple Draw "clipped inside his waistband" ....a BIG OPPS! Old oo7 would reach for his heater and end up with it tangled in his shirtails and "y" fronts ( or boxers ). In the real world the "Triple Draw" holster was so named because it could be attached to a shoulder harness, or a belt on either the right or left side. A pretty nifty setup and still one of the best designs about.

If you ever see one for a PPK ....let me know!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, it's is very interesting. I always thought the shoulder holster that we see 007 wearing in Dr.NO was the berns and martin, I also remember contacting Bianchi about berns & martin because they bought that company, at least that's what they printed in one of their catalogs I used to have. I'm going to have to keep digging.

Cazio

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Connery holster was made up by the prop department based on this description from Fleming's books:

"Bond as using a Beretta 418 in a flat chamois leather holster

Of course the Beretta was replaced in Dr. No. There are a few replicas of this holster floating around out there. Somebody on one of the Bond triva websites made some up and was selling them on eBay a few years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts