Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a beretta 92 mag, and modified it by making a slot for the mag latch so it would work in the P88. It works as well as the factory P88 mags, and the only way you can tell from a distance is the mag I tried was not glossy(used military issue). $9 beats $125 for price as far as I am concerned.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Nice work, Harold. Are you set up to post pictures? I'll bet that more than a few folks will be interested to see what you did, exactly, to make this happen.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The pre-production series of P88s submitted to the U.S. Army XM9 pistol trials in 1984 actually used slightly-modified Beretta M92 (bottom-catch) magazines which were discreetly obtained by Walther through Interarms to avoid embarrassment. There was no point in reinventing the wheel with a new magazine; the Beretta magazine was already excellent. The only alteration was to run a surface-grinder cut straight across the front wall of the mag body; it may thereafter have been hardened to prevent wear at that point. Production P88 mags went to a D-shaped cutout on the right-hand corner, and were made by MecGar.

M

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Nice job, Harold and Deputy, for the photos: Harold for sending them along, and Deputy for posting them. Thanks, both of you -- good information for anyone looking to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks, too, to MGMike for supplying the history. This is the kind of teamwork that makes the forum so great.

·
Registered
147 Posts
new here

Hi

I am new here

not that I need the credit but it was I who sent max the comparison pictures, I found them on the internet a few years ago and saved them
I am a longtime Walther collecter and just got a used P-88

Sprat

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
My bad, Sprat. Sorry to have missed that in the confusion about email names and such. Thanks for sending those along. Maybe we'll still see Harold's work on the subject for comparison's sake. And thanks again to Deputy for getting them posted so quickly. You guys are right on it.

Sprat: Tell us about your new-to-you P88. A range report would be great ... if you can find any 9mm ammo to run through it, of course. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Converted mags

Hi all

I just got a few factory Beretta 92F surplus mags. I am going to convert 4-5 for myself for range mags. I place a 92F mag in the P-88 mag well with a few dummy 9mm. I held the mag base on the work bench and worked the slide, perfect ejection on every round. So I am going to start the conversion some time in next couple weeks,

my question is how many would be interested in obtaining a few mags if I did a run. you can supply your own mags, or buy from me. I would do the conversation of a small fee yet to be determined and test fire with the mag.

Sprat

·
Registered
147 Posts
Beretta mags

Ok

I got four 92F mags off the internet, GI contract mags made by Beretta or so marked. I preferred the drop free mags with the heavy base
I measured the distance from the top of the mag, disassembled the mag internals one at a time to ensure proper installation. then proceded to cut with a dremel bit on the same angle/location as found on a Walther P-88 mag, cleaned the cut with a rat tail file and applied cold blueing.

I tried each mag with 9mm dummy rounds for function and pulled on the mag bases for security. all four passed the work bench test.
last night I took all four mags to my indoor range and fired about 40 rounds total. the results were not a problem perfect feed and mag retention. the nice thing is the mags are under $ 20.00 and still can be used in a 92F.

This type of conversion also works in P-226 sig's in 9mm with a flush fit and can be adapted for use in P-228/229 series though the mags will stick out.
( as standard P-226 mags do when used in P-228/229's)
I assume the same with the Walther P-88 compact

Note: 40 cal rounds will feed and fuction in 9mm mags only single stack

sprat

·
Registered
447 Posts
I assume the same with the Walther P-88 compact

p88c magazines are even easier.

just take a p99 magazine,put a flat floor plate (from a beretta 92,sig p226,cz-75,or even a hi-power) on and viola a 16 round p88c magazine. 1/2 the price of a p88c magazine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
good info

Great post

thanks for the follow up great info for those with P-88 compacts

I was starting to think no one was reading these post's.

wondering whether sig P-228/229 mags work in a P-88 compact, by modifying the slot. these mags cost $ 25

sprat

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
p88c magazines are even easier.

just take a p99 magazine,put a flat floor plate (from a beretta 92,sig p226,cz-75,or even a hi-power) on and viola a 16 round p88c magazine. 1/2 the price of a p88c magazine.

Picking up a shooter P88 Compact in the near future, and looking into supporting it like all my other semi-auto handguns. This "support" includes a minimum of 6 reliable mags.

Is this info "take a p99 magazine,put a flat floor plate (from a beretta 92,sig p226,cz-75,or even a hi-power) on and viola a 16 round p88c magazine" correct?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Hahaha, Promags. That's funny.

I only buy mags that actually work.

Six Mec-Gar mags were ordered from Robertson Trading this morning.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is the 88C mag the same?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts