Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know this is a Walther forum but I'm still curious as to which Beretta you would choose and why? I like the classic look of the FS, but the new 92X has some nice features that come standard.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Years ago I looked at getting a 92F but didn't due to my inability to get a good grip on it.

A couple months ago, I stopped by a gunstore and tried out the 92X and found I could get a good grip on it. So now I'm looking at getting a 92X next. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
It seems like the biggest features of the 92x (in my book) are a frame that allows a better grip and a removable front sight. The accessory rail is cool, too, but I have yet to use the accessory rails on any of my current pistols in any case.

You will need to get the one that fits your hand best, and if you want to upgrade your sights, you'll want the one with the removable front sight. With that being said, the 92x would serve you better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like the biggest features of the 92x (in my book) are a frame that allows a better grip and a removable front sight. The accessory rail is cool, too, but I have yet to use the accessory rails on any of my current pistols in any case.

You will need to get the one that fits your hand best, and if you want to upgrade your sights, you'll want the one with the removable front sight. With that being said, the 92x would serve you better.
Thank you both for the feedback. I’m stuck between these two because the features that come with the X are a plus. However, the fs is THE beretta. I also like to tinker and think I could modify the fs more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thank you both for the feedback. I’m stuck between these two because the features that come with the X are a plus. However, the fs is THE beretta. I also like to tinker and think I could modify the fs more.
I understand the conundrum. I chose a 7.62x54R Vepr over the .308 Vepr because 7.62x54R is THE Russian round for long-range work. If I was going to get a Russian rifle, I wanted it in a Russian caliber. The .308 is a more practical round with regards to availability of loadings and quality aftermarket magazines, but I wanted the more genuinely Russian model.

Just think hard about what you plan to do with the pistol when you get it. You may find that the original fits your hand well enough for your purposes. As far as low-light capability enhancement goes, you can put a Lasermax guide rod laser into the original to have that capability. I got permission from my CO to put one into my issued M-9 I had many years ago, and it was dead on. It was awesome when we did night fire. Also, there are accessory rails that clamp very securely to the front of the trigger guard if you really have to have one of those. The armorer installed those on our pistols my very last time being assigned one, too, and it fit like it was built in. I wanted to take it off so that I could use my SERPA holster, though, and it actually took me a few minutes to figure out how to remove it.

The bottom line is that you'll be able to do most of what you want to do with the original as what you might want to do with the X model, with just a few exceptions. That grip will probably be the biggest decision point for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have several 92/96-series guns. I prefer the Vertec frames; they fit my hand better. While I don’t own a 92X, yet, I’d go that route since its ergonomics work better for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand the conundrum. I chose a 7.62x54R Vepr over the .308 Vepr because 7.62x54R is THE Russian round for long-range work. If I was going to get a Russian rifle, I wanted it in a Russian caliber. The .308 is a more practical round with regards to availability of loadings and quality aftermarket magazines, but I wanted the more genuinely Russian model.

Just think hard about what you plan to do with the pistol when you get it. You may find that the original fits your hand well enough for your purposes. As far as low-light capability enhancement goes, you can put a Lasermax guide rod laser into the original to have that capability. I got permission from my CO to put one into my issued M-9 I had many years ago, and it was dead on. It was awesome when we did night fire. Also, there are accessory rails that clamp very securely to the front of the trigger guard if you really have to have one of those. The armorer installed those on our pistols my very last time being assigned one, too, and it fit like it was built in. I wanted to take it off so that I could use my SERPA holster, though, and it actually took me a few minutes to figure out how to remove it.

The bottom line is that you'll be able to do most of what you want to do with the original as what you might want to do with the X model, with just a few exceptions. That grip will probably be the biggest decision point for you.
I got the chance to hold both at a LGS, have not shot either. Both felt great. I truthfully didn’t think they felt too much different, I guess I must be too dim to tell! Yes the X felt thinner but I also liked the size of the standard... I felt I could get a better grip on it. Plus they sell ultra thin grips that people say make the FS feel completely different (I have no experience with this). I do have smaller hands but like I said I couldn’t decide just by holding them at the gun store like others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts