Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my son's friends from the police academy called me earlier this week and wanted to buy a used Taurus .357 Magnum revolver sight-unseen to have it shipped. While Taurus revolvers can be great guns, it is also too often hit-or-miss with their quality control and their customer service had been complained about on all gun forums. He just wanted an inexpensive gun to keep in the car and did not want yet another Glock or SIG Sauer.

Since he is former military and had always liked shooting the Beretta M9, I recommended the Beretta 81BB in .32 ACP that AIM is selling for $249 now, with the select option being $269 (which is sold out now). He chose the select option and the gun came in with USPS yesterday, shipping was about $14. It appears to have been barely fired but has some slight storage marks from bouncing of sliding around.

His concern, that it was not a serious defense round was soothed when I told him that my great uncle shot and killed an attacker with one shot in the 1920s and that the Beretta had a staggered 12 round mag:).

It points very well and has pretty decent sights and I think that these are an excellent value in the surplus market!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
These are great guns and a great value but I already have more calibers than I got guns and I don't need another one, lol.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I saw those on Gunbroker and considered it, but I am not a .32 hound like Gonzo ;)
I also passed on them. It is a good deal, though, and the double action on the gun that I received is really impressive! Nevertheless, I have more than enough guns and also try not to branch out to too many manufacturers and calibres.

By the way, I have one of my reloading presses set up and ready for some more 9mm Police after reloading some 8x57 IS yesterday :).

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I also passed on them. It is a good deal, though, and the double action on the gun that I received is really impressive! Nevertheless, I have more than enough guns and also try not to branch out to too many manufacturers and calibres.

By the way, I have one of my reloading presses set up and ready for some more 9mm Police after reloading some 8x57 IS yesterday :).

Dude, I have like 750 rounds of 8mm Mauser surplus ammo. On five round strippers in cloth bandoliers. 1940s Turkish production. I'd trade them for .308 ;)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Interesting you brought this up, I just got back from the range where I fired the Model 81 (not BB) that I recently picked up from AIM...

This was a "select" grade as well. I added a set of brand new Beretta 84 grips, just because I feel they add a touch of class to an already handsome pistol, and I also was lucky enough to get two brand new model 81 mags from the Beretta store before they sold out.

I just put 200 flawless rounds though it. All FMJ.

50 S&B
50 GECO
50 Fiocchi
50 PMC

I knew that the S&B and GECO would be good to go, but I had doubts about the Fiocchi, and none of my other 32s will digest more than 1 round of PMC without choking, but this little Beretta ate them all like candy.

It's very smooth in it's operation and it's an accurate little blaster to boot.
The sights are awfully tiny, but I still managed. I think this is the best value per dollar of any firearm I have ever purchased.

If any are left when I get back from vacation I may pick up another.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BiltzPig, that is a nice gun that you got there, the 81 is pretty much the pinnacle in the development of traditional metal framed .32ACP and .380 ACP pistols and even a tad nicer and more shootable than the old model 70/71.

The 81 BB has better sights than the 81 and I also recommended it to the cop for the value received. He likes the gun but pointed out how stiff the recoil spring is and how hard pulling the slide back is - and the BB has also a few more serrations to help gripping that slide!

Not concentrating on problems but solutions, you can always cock the hammer first and reduce the weight of the pull by that.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I wasn't bragging, I was OFFERING them to you. Why does everything have to be dick swinging contest with Germans? :confused:
???

I don't really know what you want. I wasn't bragging about my ammo stock, just stated what I have and that should have answered your post about any possible trade. I do not understand what made you post a possible trade deal in the post, instead of asking by PM and proposing details.

But I have to ask, since you brought it up .... do you have a problem with your dick? Mine is well secured in the pants, I think. Your last post is even more of a riddle to me.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Honestly, I'm more surprised at your recommending a .32acp as a defensive gun to a LEO. That is rather...unconventional.

I'm sure the gun is beautiful and very well made. Heck. I want one. Seems like a great deal on a quality sidearm.
Once again though, I'm surprised at recommending a gun in that caliber for a defensive arm.

I understand the caliber can be lethal, still it's hard not to see there are better defensive caliber choices in 2019.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, I'm more surprised at your recommending a .32acp as a defensive gun to a LEO. That is rather...unconventional.

I'm sure the gun is beautiful and very well made. Heck. I want one. Seems like a great deal on a quality sidearm.
Once again though, I'm surprised at recommending a gun in that caliber for a defensive arm.

I understand the caliber can be lethal, still it's hard not to see there are better defensive caliber choices in 2019.
He wanted a gun to be always in the center console of his private car. I had bought three guns from him last year to help him out when he was in the academy and he lost money on each one and so I had the resale value in mind, too. He is young, fast living but a really good guy.

He wanted to buy a Taurus and it would have stuck on his hands like glue, had he ever wanted to resell it. He carries a Glock17 as a duty gun and a G26 off duty, so that gun is more or less luxury, a toy, and I suspect something to help him through his divorce and he likes the gun. I had recommended some other guns, another Glock among the choices but he did not want yet another Glock. He got those.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Picked up my 81 BB (Gander [email protected]$225) today and while not in quite as good condition as the 81 it still rates VG. Only issue is some tiny dings around the trigger guard from being thrown into a crate. All in all the BB is nicer than the 81 mostly because of the sight upgrade. I am really glad I got both. A year or so from now a lot of folk are going to be kicking themselves for not diving in.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I finally picked mine up yesterday. AIM ran out before I could submit my order so I had to go with Classic. I'm really happy with what they sent me.

It's not in unissued condition like some people have gotten but it was very gently used. There is a little wear on the frame where the slide rides. There is no visible wear at all on the feed ramp. The bore is bright and shiny. The only non-cosmetic defects are dents to the front and rear sights. I was able to reshape the front sight with a punch and while the rear looks ugly it shouldn't affect shooting.

Mine has a proof date of 1981. The import mark is under the trigger guard and looks like it was done with a laser.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Had a .380 Cheetah for awhile; impulse buy, looked like a miniature 92/M9. Found it was blowback, and rappy, like a .380 PPK.
The .32s look really neat, and I reload .32s.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Nothing "rappy" about the 81 in .32. I put 200 rounds through mine the first time out. No excessive felt recoil, no slide bite, just smooth sailing.

;)
Oh, no doubt Blitz'. Love .32s, in Walthers or about anything else. I may have to sniff after the 81.
Moon

1 - 20 of 49 Posts