Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Wow. Scott, you were not kidding. That thing is gorgeous. I love the fine German ingraving. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
WOW. Nice. Really nice rifle there, a work of art in steel and wood. Sort of a shame to cover some of it with scope and bases.

Heh, on another note. I am using the Mannlicher-Schoenauer brass as a base cartridge to form brass for my Czech VZ-52 in 7,62x45mm Czech.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's a beautiful rifle but it's not a Mannlicher-Schoenauer. It's a Mauser 98 done up in Mannlicher style.

M

Agreed, I believe the 1950s Mannlicher-Schoenauer is the split bridge receiver, or at least my FIL's and the others I've seen are. Easy way to tell is the bolt handle position that passes through the rear of the receiver when open.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Mike is correct. It is exactly the same rifle as my most prized treasure:

WWII bring-back 1944 Mod.98 converted into the sweetest hunting rifle on earth. The original 7.92 x 57mm caliber remains (wisely) untouched. Pranxter, your rifle is absolutely gorgeous... range report soon please!

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the information, now to find out the who and why about this Mauser. It's really been a big help from the posters. This rifle has been in the family almost fifty years and it's proving to be a lot of fun learning the rest of the story.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
I am intrigued by the double-set triggers and the safety switch on the stock behind the actual safety, which is the three-position (in my case, two position) lever on the back of the bolt. The trigger design is akin to the amazing pre-war Mauser sporting rifle my father has wallowing away in his damp basement gun cabinet; rust specks are starting to form on the bottom of it's barrel...

If you pull the rear trigger when the rifle's bolt is cocked, it takes up the trigger pull of the front trigger with a click. Now the forward trigger is the definition of "hair trigger" - it can be set off with the brush of a feather. Sweet as it gets, gentlemen; an amazing rifle. Have you ever taken yours to the range, Pranxter? I shoot mine a lot, the only dissuader being the involved cleaning process when I'm done because I'm ridiculously OCD with it's preservation.

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What I've found out so far...

Mauser 98 proofed in Ulm, engraved by Kurt Jäger's shop in Mainz. The engraving is magnificent according to Tom at mannlicher-schoenauer.com. That gentlemen is an amazing resource on the details behind the german engravers post war.

I have no intention of using the rifle, so I'm never going to have a range report. I'm simply afraid of having something happen to it so it's the old trusty Marlin 30-30 for my fun.

A few people have told me the mannlicher with the two trigger configuration is unusual and a bit rare. I haven't been able to confirm this but I haven't seen any online.

I need to figure out an insurance value for my house policy. If anyone knows who would be best to contact to figure out the value I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts