Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across this thread on the 1911 forum...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=100659

As some of you know, Kaehny is a dealer operating from Germany who has offered various Walther gun parts for sale in the U.S.  At one point Kaehny was offering stripped P99 frames straight to the buyer's door with no FFL (something the BATF doesn't like).

One of the guys on the 1911 forum bought some stuff for the P22 and the BATF showed up to question if he had bought a supressor.  He did not but the BATF is having him turn in the parts he got as violations of U.S. import laws.  Apparently, they're investigating Kaehny's U.S. client list with a focus on looking for unlicensed supressors.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Every time he posted something for sale here I would email and reply to him that the items he was selling were prohibited in the US.
He didn't care.
As always buyer beware....... and buyer be educated about the legalities of what you are purchasing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great, I just bought a threaded barrel from him, guess I'll be getting a visit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wondered how he could sell stripped frames. Now I know the answer!

Also, why are his Walther Tac Lights that he has so cheap?

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Most of his cheaper items are the Airsoft/toy versions of the real thing.
He sells either crap/toys or illegal items, buyer beware.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a letter this week from the ATFE about magazines I bought a year ago from Kaehny that were advertised as "pre-ban P99 magazines". Now I have to turn them in to the local ATFE office for destruction. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to purchase from Kaehny unless you carefully research the regulations. It's clear the ATFE is carefully scrutinizing all their shipments into the U.S.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Kramer, are they planning on reimbursing your costs? Sounds like you bought them in good faith.

·
Registered
130 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MLB @ Dec. 16 2004,2:13)]Kramer, are they planning on reimbursing your costs?  Sounds like you bought them in good faith.
Unfortunately, those magazines were apparently bought without understanding the implications of their importation. If the magazines were full capacity and imported during the now-deceased AWB period; he is lucky that he isn't being prosecuted for a federal felony. A simple surrender demand is a minor inconvenience.

Whenever some purchases something outside of this country, it is the buyer's responsibility to ensure that the product is legal and the proper Customs, BATFE, IRS, etc. documents and fees are submitted. The U.S. government has no responsibility to reimburse someone for the illegal importation of anything.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Blueiron is correct.

I asked the resident agent whether I might be able to pay a fine and keep the 3 mags and he said, "Don't even go there". I get a receipt for the abandoned mags and am probably lucky nothing more.

Bet real life reports like these put a crimp in Kaehny's 2005 business plan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kkramer673 @ Dec. 17 2004,6:42)]Bet real life reports like these put a crimp in Kaehny's 2005 business plan.
Part of that business plan is to not sell via auctionarms or gunbroker.  Also if your name is  David Stonebrook   or   Omar Sarif   .  Lastly, it looks like paypal may be the entity giving up names?

Here's the link...

Kaehny's not welcome list

I think he's saying that the common thread in the ATF visits is Paypal.  I'm not sure of his grief with the auction sites.  I'd guess the 2 individuals were involved in bad deals, tho who knows if it was them or not.

I guess you are getting off lightly, but it sure seems ludicrous to confiscate items that are legally owned today.  Or is there a current restriction from buying these from oversea's?  Given that there are no markings on these (right?) how do we know they are not preban manufacture?  I'm glad I steered clear of this guy.  I lost all interest in him when he would stomp on other's posts.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basically, the problem is that Kaehny is in the business of exporting gun parts to the U.S.  By sending the items to the people in the manner that he has, he bypassed U.S. import laws and Customs.  Also the recipient needs to fill out paperwork to receive gun parts from an overseas source.  -Most of the guys I see at the gun shows who sell magazines were still in the process of getting their importation licenses approved.  They told me, they can't bring in the full capacity magazines until they have the right importation license.

Interestingly, I had an auction on Gunbroker back in January of '04 where this David Stonebrook contacted me.  His gunbroker ID at the time was: gundave3.  My auction was for a used gun.  He told me he was a FFL and wanted a shipment quote before going with the Buy It Now function.  

I knew something was odd because no FFL pays retail on a common used gun when he can sit at a gun show and pick the same thing up for wholesale.  -He gave me his zip code and I learned his address was a P.O. Box.  FFL's cannot use P.O. Boxes to conduct gun transfers.  The address on the FFL always has to be a physical place of business on record with what is now the BATFE so it can be inspected.  Lastly, this guy was insistent on paying via Paypal even though that would explicitly violate the Paypal user  agreement.

Obviously the deal never happened because I'm not going to ship a gun to some moron who is lying about being a FFL and is demanding to use Paypal.  I don't need the trouble and I don't need to be out the money when the guy reverses the charges because he reports a gun purchase through Paypal.  I had forwarded the information on to the guys at gunbroker.com and BATFE.  Gunbroker sent me an automated response.  To date, I have not heard from anyone from BATFE.  

-At this point, I'm beginning to think it was some fictional identity created by the BATFE to catch people breaking the law.

·
Registered
735 Posts
A client of mine stated to me that the Kaehny brothers, warned him that if he didn't accept the can that they had sent they would notify customs.
Sure enough, the BATFE intervened. The can and other stuff was impounded.

For a couple of years now, I've believed that the Kaehnys are Interpol-affiliated. Reverse sting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was under the impression threaded barrels were not regulated. Is there a problem because they are not going through customs?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The barrels, both threaded an unthreaded, aren't regulated in the U.S., but the importation of weapons and weapon parts are regulated in international commerce. Customs and ATFE regulations have to be adhered to, in order to legally bring them into the country.

An example is when I fly out of the country, I complete Customs forms to declare the possession of my Rolex watch prior to an international departure. Otherwise, my watch could be seized for duty tax liability, until I proved that I purchased it locally. I have never been bothered by Customs, but there are enough horror stories out there to concern me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just turned in my three 15-round P99 mags originally purchased from Kaehny, to the BATFE. This "abandonment" was painless, beyond the fact I'm out $125+ for the cost of the magazines. But there were no other consequences and no monetary penalty. They gave me a receipt for the 3 high-cap mags and I was on my way.

Expensive lesson; I'll make sure I know who I'm buying from in the future.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I do believe that you'll be able to declare the property loss on your Federal tax return. Keep the ATFE receipt as your proof.

At least you aren't facing charges. Better luck in your next purchase.

·
Registered
44 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kkramer673 @ Dec. 20 2004,1:34)]Just turned in my three 15-round P99 mags originally purchased from Kaehny, to the BATFE. This "abandonment" was painless, beyond the fact I'm out $125+ for the cost of the magazines. But there were no other consequences and no monetary penalty. They gave me a receipt for the 3 high-cap mags and I was on my way.

Expensive lesson; I'll make sure I know who I'm buying from in the future.
How long from time of purchase to when you heard from BATF?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi!
First!
All deals we done are legal and we have all permision to make that deals. Also , we have export lisenses for each gun item we sold.
We are located in Germany, so we have to respect the GERMAN LAW. Germany not belongs to the USA !
On our web site we inform our costumers to check their local law.
Investigation:
We get visit from our police,, they have the information from Washington that we sell ILEGAL Guns! All sales we have done are inside the German Law and 10 minutes the visit ends and the police was asking why they have to check us.

Next case: Data Protection!!!
Gunsamerica give the logins of their users to the AFT, see glocktalk.
Paypal give the transaction information also to them.
If this does an german company, they got a very big problem with the law.

Alter all: We don´t made, and don´t make any ilegal deals!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts