Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Patriots!

Last weekend while playing my gig in Las Vegas my friend and I paid a visit to the Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club where Tony is a member. I've been here once before but had to pay the visitor fee, which is quite reasonable. We used one of their target stands, I had brought three targets, we shot for three hours in a private bay, and it cost us nothing. How about that? It's nice to have well-connected friends. The BRPC seems way out in the boonies but it's just a short distance outside of Boulder City, near Las Vegas.

The RSO put us in bay #2 of the "courtesy" range. The members range area is off to the left behind a gate secured with an access card.

The target on the left belongs to the range. The two little ones in the middle are "gently used" targets left over my my visits to the Lytle Creek range where I shoot locally. On the right is my new target stand, only the second time I've used it. We moved this one around a little bit so we could do a little runnin' and gunnin'. It was nice being able to practice shooting at multiple targets. I'm not able to very often.

This was on the menu today. I was practicing with my XD9 and my new P22. Tony brought his Ruger Charger (with optic and light) so he could zero the sight. This was the first time he's been able to shoot it.

Here he is, the 147th fastest old noob in the West. I did put on my ears and eyes before we started making things go bang. It was a little bit cool to wear both of my holsters and pistols. I usually can't do that on the ranges at home.

Here each bay has a roof for shade, a picnic table, and a shooting table. I found it curious that the roof had extra ventilation.

Here's Tony working to zero his optic. IIRC it was a Holosun.

When he thought it was close he tried some different positions.

I tried one or two of the 15 round magazines. That optic is like cheating.

I think Tony needs to adjust it a little more. I was very low and right, but a consistent grouping. He eventually got it dialed in much better.

Tony really liked my XD9, said it was a great pistol. He's got a few G19 pistols and carries a G43.

My P22 really behaved itself today. We both had fun shooting it. Only two malfunctions out of about 300 rounds.

Here's one of my targets from ten yards with a couple magazines out of my P22.

Today wasn't really an accuracy day. Since we had the bay all to ourselves and I could wear my holsters I practiced drawing from OWB at 3 o'clock and from my AIWB. I shot at multiple targets, did some shootin' and scootin', and practiced drawing from concealed with Tony's shot timer. I "slow practiced" until I could get two shots off in 2.85 seconds. Because 'Murica!, here's a shot of Old Glory as I walk back from checking my targets.

Tony was tweaking the optic on his Charger all day. He says he doesn't really know what he's doing, just eyeballing it to get "close enough". I'll encourage him to watch a Youtube video or something.

After the circle bullseye targets were done I put up some 1/3 size IDPA and IPSC targets to shoot from 10 yards. That's like shooting the real thing at 30 yards, right?

The first couple of magazines weren't great. I was drawing and trying to get the shots on target quicker than if I were shooting for accuracy.

The next few magazines were better. I would draw and then put two or three shots on target as quickly as possible.

All in all, a very productive day. I got to shoot a new firearm with an optic and practice some tactical scenarios with my pistols. I'll be back in the area again at the end of October. It should be cooler then. It was hot and windy today. We shot 200 rounds through my XD9. It had one FTE, surprisingly. I almost want to blame that on myself being tired and dehydrated. I probably limp-wristed it. My P22 did great today, only 2 FTF. A quick rip of the slide and it was ready to go. It might have 500 rounds through it now. I'm sure it'll be perfect soon. The new captive spring worked great and made cleaning/reassembly infinitely easier.

I'm going to arrange another training session soon for Mrs. BassCliff and I so I can forestall any bad habits I may be picking up. Tony has been shooting for a while and offered a few really good practice tips as he watched me. I'm happy to learn from everyone. Thanks for coming along with me today and letting me share my fun.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Super Moderator
Man -0- man.....looks like a fun time.....killed lots of paper and cardboard. 馃榿 Hey, I love all those trees too. AND, I love those Speed Sights too. I'm puttin' those on everything.

I was looking at the Charger.....does it have any picatinny rail available to mount another device...left side, right side, bottom? Could he take the pressure pad off the bottom to a temporarily install a 'top secret, OF Skunk Works' aiming device? This device will have him zeroed in 2 shots.

Super Moderator
Here's a target I shot at 45 or 50 feet (can't remember, its been a couple of years) with my Sig MPX with Trijicon MRO at an indoor range and using a rest. I'd previously sighted in the RMO with the OF Skunk Works 2 shot method. That's 5 rounds, one hole. I punched holes in this target with a current forum member standing behind me. 馃榿

I'm just saying, this method works.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi!

Man -0- man.....looks like a fun time.....killed lots of paper and cardboard. 馃榿 Hey, I love all those trees too. AND, I love those Speed Sights too. I'm puttin' those on everything.

I was looking at the Charger.....does it have any picatinny rail available to mount another device...left side, right side, bottom? Could he take the pressure pad off the bottom to a temporarily install a 'top secret, OF Skunk Works' aiming device? This device will have him zeroed in 2 shots.
Yes, ton-o-fun that day. ;) I really like my Speed Sights. My other pistols have regular three dot iron sights but with fiber optic on the front. They work but I don't shoot those as well. :p

Tony had a light mounted on the left side of his Charger using some mounting hardware. Being that they are illegal here I don't have any experience with them. This place ( 10/22 & Charger Accessories ) has a bunch of upgrade parts but I'm not seeing any other place for a pic rail other than the top.

The RSO at this range, a Viet Nam vet, showed us his Glock with sights I've never seen before. They looked great.

I'm going to take a closer look at these, maybe for my next pistol? ;)

BassCliff

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi,

Here's a target I shot at 45 or 50 feet (can't remember, its been a couple of years) with my Sig MPX with Trijicon MRO at an indoor range and using a rest. I'd previously sighted in the RMO with the OF Skunk Works 2 shot method. That's 5 rounds, one hole. I punched holes in this target with a current forum member standing behind me. 馃榿

I'm just saying, this method works.

That is fabulous! I'm not familiar with the aiming system you mention. (There's a LOT that I don't know.) Now I've got more research to do! :D

BassCliff

Super Moderator
Errrrr' you won't find anything on that aiming (zeroing) system, because it's one I invented. It would require the purchase of another device which is currently available for about $99.

You'd need one of these https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Lo...ds=sightmark+lopro+mini&qid=1623104028&sr=8-6

I actually prefer the older version as the knobs are not protected, meaning they're easier for me to grab hold of and tweak.

Here's a picture of the older one.....don't believe you'll be able to find one, but you can see the knobs would be easier to grip and adjust.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Errrrr' you won't find anything on that aiming (zeroing) system, because it's one I invented. It would require the purchase of another device which is currently available for about $99.

You'd need one of these https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Lo...ds=sightmark+lopro+mini&qid=1623104028&sr=8-6

I actually prefer the older version as the knobs are not protected, meaning they're easier for me to grab hold of and tweak.

Here's a picture of the older one.....don't believe you'll be able to find one, but you can see the knobs would be easier to grip and adjust.

View attachment 98992
OK, I get it now. ;)

I've seen some aiming devices but all the "skunk works" searches turned up a lot of Lockheed Martin super-techno compact fusion reactor and aircraft projects. :D

Your system must be pretty high tech too, in order to zero in two shots. Fantastic! (y)

BassCliff

Super Moderator
The system is indeed simple.....it had to be or I'd never have come up with the idea. This is just to get your newly installed red dot or scope really close and save a lot of ammo in the process.

1. Secure the SightMark LoPro onto the firearm.

2. Using a very secure method to hold the firearm steady .... look thru your top mounted 'red dot' and place that dot on the bullseye.

3. Very carefully squeeeeeeze off 'one' round.

4. If you know you didn't flinch or fart during the trigger pull to to step 5....or repeat step 3 if needed.

5. Once again, look thru your red dot, placing the dot on the bullseye. While keeping the red dot on the bullseye, adjust the SightMark LoPro's green dot to overlay the bullet hole in the target.

Double check your alignment 2 or 3 times making sure that your 'red dot' is covering the bullseye while at the same time the LoPro's green dot is overlaying the bullet hole. When satisfied, go on to step 6.

6. Now, look at the target again and adjust your red dot until it overlays the green dot.

7. Aim at the bullseye again and squeeze off another round. How you do?????

You should be really close now, only requiring a little tweaking one way or the other.

This works great at 50 feet, as evidenced by the target I posted earlier. I've not tried it beyond 50 feet, but there'll be a point (distance) of diminishing returns. But at 50 feet you can shoot em' in the eyeball. 馃槀

Super Moderator
This was like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I finally ran across one.....the old design with the unprotected knobs that make it easier for old farts to grip and twist.

May not use it often, but when I need it, its definitely worth the price I paid.

In addition to helping to zero in a hand full of shots, I also use mine when I've got to remove an optic to replace a battery and remount the optic. Just mount the LoPro to the firearm, ensure that both dots 'overlap' at some distance, remove optic, replace battery, remount optic and make sure the optic 'dot' is still overlaying the LoPro 'dot'. Easy Peazy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

The system is indeed simple.....it had to be or I'd never have come up with the idea. This is just to get your newly installed red dot or scope really close and save a lot of ammo in the process.

1. Secure the SightMark LoPro onto the firearm.

2. Using a very secure method to hold the firearm steady .... look thru your top mounted 'red dot' and place that dot on the bullseye.

3. Very carefully squeeeeeeze off 'one' round.

4. If you know you didn't flinch or fart during the trigger pull to to step 5....or repeat step 3 if needed.

5. Once again, look thru your red dot, placing the dot on the bullseye. While keeping the red dot on the bullseye, adjust the SightMark LoPro's green dot to overlay the bullet hole in the target.

Double check your alignment 2 or 3 times making sure that your 'red dot' is covering the bullseye while at the same time the LoPro's green dot is overlaying the bullet hole. When satisfied, go on to step 6.

6. Now, look at the target again and adjust your red dot until it overlays the green dot.

7. Aim at the bullseye again and squeeze off another round. How you do?????

You should be really close now, only requiring a little tweaking one way or the other.

This works great at 50 feet, as evidenced by the target I posted earlier. I've not tried it beyond 50 feet, but there'll be a point (distance) of diminishing returns. But at 50 feet you can shoot em' in the eyeball. 馃槀
This was like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I finally ran across one.....the old design with the unprotected knobs that make it easier for old farts to grip and twist.

May not use it often, but when I need it, its definitely worth the price I paid.

In addition to helping to zero in a hand full of shots, I also use mine when I've got to remove an optic to replace a battery and remount the optic. Just mount the LoPro to the firearm, ensure that both dots 'overlap' at some distance, remove optic, replace battery, remount optic and make sure the optic 'dot' is still overlaying the LoPro 'dot'. Easy Peazy.

This is excellent! I really appreciate your time. Thanks for sharing! :)

BassCliff

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

Most premium shooting ranges do. Mine even has vents between bays for improved airflow.
馃槻 Yeegads!

BassCliff

Reactions: Redcat94

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,,

Did I mention that before I took my new P22 out for this range day I installed the Tandemkross captive spring?

Man, I tell you what! This thing is the bomb! It makes field stripping and reassembly sooooo much easier. The pistol ran great too. Only two malfunctions in three hundred rounds that day that were probably ammo related. Next time I'll try a bunch of CCI and see if there are any more malfs.

For grins and giggles, here's a glam shot featuring the P22 in the Relentless Tactical AIWB and my XD9 in the Alien Gear OWB. :ROFLMAO:

BassCliff

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Which is why.......

Too bad Walther won't change the slide just a bit to make sight options an option. The above works but is a bit tricky regarding the install. 1917
Yes, I read about all the hoops you had to jump through to get that optic on that pistol. Nice work. :)

BassCliff

Reactions: 1917-1911M
1 - 16 of 16 Posts