Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there friends and neighbors,

I thought this might be fun to play with on my new P22. :D

This ad showed up on my Facebook feed. It was for a GunnerGear Black Ops Tactical Laser Sight. The engraver had made a slight mistake and engraved the logo upside down. It was being sold for 50% off! Wow! What a deal! See?: GunnerGear – BlackOps Tactical Laser

Regular $78 for only $39 with free shipping! Hoooray! I whipped out my credit card and ordered before the clock ran out.

Then I decided to do a little research on this unit and look for reviews online. Guess where I found reviews? On Amazon. The reviews were pretty favorable in a "bang for your buck" kind of way. More than half the reviewers gave it five stars. See?: https://www.amazon.com/Pinty-Waterp...1&keywords=laser+sight&qid=1621919400&sr=8-22

The big difference is the Amazon unit is $14. Doh! 😕

Oh well, I guess that lesson didn't cost me too much. I usually do a lot of research before I buy anything. I won't forget next time. Yes, I thought about cancelling my order but by the time I finished my little bit of information gathering I had already received an email saying the product had shipped and here's your tracking number. It'll be here in a day or two. Drat.

So, if nothing else, after you guys finish laughing just remember not to pay more than $14 for this "Black Ops Tactical" laser sight.

This has been a Public Service Announcement brought to you by the old noob. Con sarn it!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Reactions: Rick Snyder

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Been there. Got the Tee shirt to prove it.
I'm sure this won't be the last purchase worth slapping myself over. But I did receive a response from my FB comment, for what it's worth.

I'll let you know if it's the real deal. :)

BassCliff

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there,

It's been a slow day in my home office. I've had plenty of time to rack the slide on my new P22, trying to get the "break in" period started. In the meantime, guess what just arrived? Well, you probably know. It was a padded envelope with a little black box inside.

Hmmm, only three batteries. I'm a bit disappointed. You know, all of my G-Sight laser cartridges came with an extra set of batteries.

This little Black Ops Tactical Laser Sight came with only three batteries, the necessary allen wrenches for installation and adjustment, but no instructions at all. There were no instructions on the website either.

Luckily this is not rocket science. One wrench was for the lid of the battery compartment. Another wrench was for the clamp to attach to your pic rail. The smallest wrench was for zeroing the beam. There was a small hole on the side for windage and one on the bottom for elevation. Here it is attached to my new P22. Doesn't it look menacing?

Another disappointment was the fact that the logo was not printed upside down! I thought that's why these were on sale for "half price". :ROFLMAO:

I did my best to zero the beam for seven yards.

The button to turn on this unit seems to be rather large, located on the left side at the back of the unit. You can sort of see the button "around the corner" from the logo on the previous picture. It's partially obscured by the trigger guard on this pistol. I have to use a finger from my weak hand to turn it off and on.

And that is my foray into laser sights, so far. I'm not sure if I'll leave it on the first time I go to the range with this pistol. Aww, what the hey? I guess it won't hurt nothin'.

The unit is metal and doesn't seem overly cheap but I would've rather paid $14 than $39. We'll see if it stays zeroed after some live fire. So far it seems to do OK after me racking the slide a few hundred times. (I've heard these pistols are notoriously picky eaters so I've been really working the slide, mags, slide stop, etc, just to get started on the "break in" period.)

I appreciate all of you gentlemen, and your gentle ribbing. :giggle:

BassCliff

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
There are a number of ways to zero in your laser. First decide the distance (your 21 feet seems good).
1. Bench your weapon and fire three rounds. Make sure they have made a tight group.
2. While the weapon is still benched turn on the laser and adjust until it is in the center of the three holes.
3. You are sight zeroed for 21 feet. Shorter and longer distances will require re-zeroing.

You can use a sandbag but that is harder.

You can also parallel sight your laser using a bore sight by putting the bore sight in your weapon and getting an exact measurement from the center of the bore to the center of the laser then light up a target at 15 feet and make sure the two laser dots are the same distance apart. You'll be accurate at any distance (just off by the space between your laser and the bore). This is how I sight the Viridian C5L on my HD weapon. It is fast and easier than benching.

BTW shooting with a laser takes a lot of practice. You WILL be rotten at first. Don't be discouraged.

Reactions: BassCliff

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!

There are a number of ways to zero in your laser. First decide the distance (your 21 feet seems good).
1. Bench your weapon and fire three rounds. Make sure they have made a tight group.
2. While the weapon is still benched turn on the laser and adjust until it is in the center of the three holes.
3. You are sight zeroed for 21 feet. Shorter and longer distances will require re-zeroing.

You can use a sandbag but that is harder.

You can also parallel sight your laser using a bore sight by putting the bore sight in your weapon and getting an exact measurement from the center of the bore to the center of the laser then light up a target at 15 feet and make sure the two laser dots are the same distance apart. You'll be accurate at any distance (just off by the space between your laser and the bore). This is how I sight the Viridian C5L on my HD weapon. It is fast and easier than benching.

BTW shooting with a laser takes a lot of practice. You WILL be rotten at first. Don't be discouraged.
Thank you for this information and for your encouragement. This is a cheap laser sight, that I paid too much for, bought on a whim. I'll use it just to train with to get a little insight into the world of laser sights. But I doubt it will become part of my EDC system.

Given that, I suppose you could say that I eye-balled the "Sight High Zero" method, the #3 option in this article:

The parallel method intrigues me but I like seeing the laser dot just over my sights. The best I can hope for is that this cheap unit will allow me to find out the best way to zero a nice laser sight, should I decide to go that way. The next time I go to my local indoor range I'll try to work with this laser unit and see how well I can make it perform. Of course, any deficiencies will be probably be the user's fault. :p When I visited this weekend I asked if they allowed laser sights. They do allow them but they don't have a bench to borrow for zeroing the unit. No biggie. I'll try to borrow one from a friend. Or maybe I'll just buy one, along with a couple of bore sights (much to Mrs. BassCliff's chagrin). It's a never ending battle. (No pun intended.) ;)

BassCliff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there friends and neighbors,

I thought this might be fun to play with on my new P22. :D

This ad showed up on my Facebook feed. It was for a GunnerGear Black Ops Tactical Laser Sight. The engraver had made a slight mistake and engraved the logo upside down. It was being sold for 50% off! Wow! What a deal! See?: GunnerGear – BlackOps Tactical Laser

View attachment 98796

Regular $78 for only $39 with free shipping! Hoooray! I whipped out my credit card and ordered before the clock ran out.

Then I decided to do a little research on this unit and look for reviews online. Guess where I found reviews? On Amazon. The reviews were pretty favorable in a "bang for your buck" kind of way. More than half the reviewers gave it five stars. See?: https://www.amazon.com/Pinty-Waterp...1&keywords=laser+sight&qid=1621919400&sr=8-22

View attachment 98797

The big difference is the Amazon unit is $14. Doh! 😕

Oh well, I guess that lesson didn't cost me too much. I usually do a lot of research before I buy anything. I won't forget next time. Yes, I thought about cancelling my order but by the time I finished my little bit of information gathering I had already received an email saying the product had shipped and here's your tracking number. It'll be here in a day or two. Drat.

So, if nothing else, after you guys finish laughing just remember not to pay more than $14 for this "Black Ops Tactical" laser sight.

This has been a Public Service Announcement brought to you by the old noob. Con sarn it!

BassCliff
Hi!

Thank you for this information and for your encouragement. This is a cheap laser sight, that I paid too much for, bought on a whim. I'll use it just to train with to get a little insight into the world of laser sights. But I doubt it will become part of my EDC system.

Given that, I suppose you could say that I eye-balled the "Sight High Zero" method, the #3 option in this article:

The parallel method intrigues me but I like seeing the laser dot just over my sights. The best I can hope for is that this cheap unit will allow me to find out the best way to zero a nice laser sight, should I decide to go that way. The next time I go to my local indoor range I'll try to work with this laser unit and see how well I can make it perform. Of course, any deficiencies will be probably be the user's fault. :p When I visited this weekend I asked if they allowed laser sights. They do allow them but they don't have a bench to borrow for zeroing the unit. No biggie. I'll try to borrow one from a friend. Or maybe I'll just buy one, along with a couple of bore sights (much to Mrs. BassCliff's chagrin). It's a never ending battle. (No pun intended.) ;)

BassCliff
I bought two and installed one on my S&W 9mm and the other on my S&W .380. I used a sand bag to steady the gun and sighted in to zero on both. Having never used a laser before I started out looking down my hard sights to bring my laser dot to the hard sight and fired. Round was off by inches. After a few rounds fired I tried shooting using just the red dot. I got a much better grouping when just looking at where the dot was. So far I am satisfied with these sights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

I bought two and installed one on my S&W 9mm and the other on my S&W .380. I used a sand bag to steady the gun and sighted in to zero on both. Having never used a laser before I started out looking down my hard sights to bring my laser dot to the hard sight and fired. Round was off by inches. After a few rounds fired I tried shooting using just the red dot. I got a much better grouping when just looking at where the dot was. So far I am satisfied with these sights.
That's good news! Thanks for sharing! The "Black Ops" people swear that these are not the same $14 sights you can get from Amazon. I'm glad they are working for you. I have not taken mine to the range yet.

What zero method did you use?

How much live fire have you done with yours? Is the zero staying true?

I'm thinking I will take a bag to the range next time and refine my "Sight Hight Zero" for seven yards. That's about all I will need for self-defense, inside or outside my home. Since I don't have a holster for a laser-sighted pistol yet this sight will be relegated to the P22 at the range, at least until it proves itself. ;) Then I'll think about moving it to one of my EDC units. Drat, that means adding another holster or two to my collection. :ROFLMAO: It's a never-ending battle. :p

BassCliff

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a laser sight from my son in law for Christmas, for my carry Canik. Bought an inexpensive, but highly rated, laser bore sight for 9MM guns to go with it. Zeroing in was as easy as could be. I put the bore sight into the Canik muzzle after attaching the laser sight. Picked a target across the room on a white wall. Put the gun on a bag, and sighted on the target with the bore site. Used the hex screws on the laser sight to match the laser sight red dot with the laser bore red dot. Took me all of two minutes from start to end. When I took the gun to the range the next day, the laser sight was perfectly on target at 20 feet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

I got a laser sight from my son in law for Christmas, for my carry Canik. Bought an inexpensive, but highly rated, laser bore sight for 9MM guns to go with it. Zeroing in was as easy as could be. I put the bore sight into the Canik muzzle after attaching the laser sight. Picked a target across the room on a white wall. Put the gun on a bag, and sighted on the target with the bore site. Used the hex screws on the laser sight to match the laser sight red dot with the laser bore red dot. Took me all of two minutes from start to end. When I took the gun to the range the next day, the laser sight was perfectly on target at 20 feet.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good stuff. That's my plan, to sight the laser at home and prove it at the range. I'm just not sure how much faith I have in this particular laser sight. I'll certainly let you know.

BassCliff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts