Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the p99 barrels supported or not? Also, what is the difference and how can you tell?
Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Actually "supported" or unsupported refers to the weapon's chamber............ and Yes the Walthers have a fully supported chamber.

Telling the difference between the two is not as obvious as you might think. A supported chamber refers to the area(s) just beneath the feed ramp. With a bullet chambered --- all of the bullet's casing will be surrounded by chamber walls & just the necked down rear head of the bullet is exposed.....

See the below article ( middle of page ) for the color high-lighted area

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

JF.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sniper, that was a GOOD article! Great pictures along with it. That ought to answer some questions...

I had a Glock 10mm KB with me one time... It was a weird sensation, but no injury. Although a person could get down on Glock for it, I was impressed how the KB was contained in the gun and didn't hurt me... Of course it would have been better if it went "Bang" and not "Boom"...
I have no idea of "why" it went "Boom"...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That clears it up. That was a good article! Thanks! Is it normal to have some bulging even in a supported chamber?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Can't say about a .40, as I don't have one. A 9mm will have some, but not much. I call it more of a swelling... Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would agree with Hal8000........... I would call it more of a swelling than a bulge. But yes, the 40 cal. does show some signs of swelling...........if you search past posts........we covered this topic in some detail, it might give you some additional answers.

Glad the article was helpful

JF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll do a better search. I'll also try to get some pics. It's not really bad, like you said more of a swelling.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The P99 has a lot better supported chamber than my Glock does. I've noticed in shooting .40's for some 10 years now, that they do tend to swell, no matter what gun they are shot in. They swell a little more in Glock's. I've gotten to the point where I only shoot .40 brass about three times and then toss it, no matter what weapon I've shot it in. The brass will start deforming too much after that, for me to be comfortable in loading it again. Luckily I've never had a kB!, but I think it's because I inspect my cases, especially .40's, fairly well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
HK P7 M13s are bad about leaving a ridge at the base of the casing because of unsupported chambers. Not the M8 or PSP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't get my camera to take a good pic, it sucks. From what you guys describe, though, I don't think it's a problem. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
heheheh HAL8000 you just beat me to this one.....

Very nice pics there... thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
SHIGMA -- excellent photo work & a great visual explanation of what this post was asking.

It looks to me that the Springfield XD and the H&K USP 40 has the best supported chambers that I have seen --- practically total coverage.

And it is also easy to see why Glock's have problems with KB's --with their chambers considered " un-supported"
But it should be noted that most if not all KB's in Glock can be traced back to faulty ammo [ double charges ]. When there is a weakness in the brass casing -- the un-supported chambers just don't offer the needed "extra" support to prevent the casing from spliting.

Again great work on this post....

JF.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Nice pics and good thread. All I know is the my P99, P99c and P5 have fully supported chambers. Took them all down, lined them up and tested each one. The real problem, as has been stated is from faulty ammunition. The only time I experienced a Kaboom was with a .45 Colt in a SAA. Blew the cylinder apart and ripped the top half of the frame off. I only received a minor cut on my hand. It was a double charge from a friend's reloads. I no longer shoot anyone else's reloads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts