Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure and probably doubt it since the P99 is already hard to get a hold of but do you guys know if you can buy a 9mm barrel and mags and swap out with the .40S&W P99 platform to have a 2-in-1 deal? I use to own a P99AS chamber in .40S&W and traded it over 2 years ago and hated my self for it but last night i was able to find a guy that only put 50 rounds through it (looks like it too) :cool: and traded my Beratta M9 for another P99AS chamber in .40S&W. This time i wanted a 9mm but i conceil carry and the benifits of this round is why i did trade but i want the avalibility and capacity of a 9mm and the only way without buying another pistol is to change out the barrel like in glocks. Let me know and thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
14,267 Posts
If it was that easy, many people would be doin' it already. You'd need a 9mm slide as well as the 9mm barrel and mags. I'm not sure, but I think there's something a little different in the trigger components between the 9 and 40 as well.....balance or peter the fish or others might be able to shed some light on this. Bottom line, I think it'd be cheaper to just buy another P99 in 9mm.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
If you want to shoot 9mm out of a .40 P99, it would be best to get an entire slide and barrel assembly, swap the sear housing, and use 9mm mags. That would essentially get you a factory 9mm P99. But then that would only leave most of the frame, so it wouldn't really be cost efficient when compared to just buying a 9mm P99.

The hole on the muzzle end of the .40 slide will be a larger diameter than the hole on the muzzle end of the 9mm slide, which means that the 9mm barrel won't fit right on a .40 slide. On top of that, on the P99, the .40 slide and barrel are longer than the 9mm slide and barrel.

The ejector, which is located in the sear housing, is different between the 9mm and .40 models, which means that it won't be the correct size, shape, or length, as the 9mm ejector. The 9mm and .40 ejectors are optimized for their specific caliber.

The feed lips on the .40 magazines will be farther apart than the ones on the 9mm mags, which means that if you don't use the correct caliber mags for the caliber that you are shooting, the rounds won't be in the optimal place to be fed in the chamber.

They used to make conversion barrels for .40 P99 pistols so that you could shoot 9mm out of them. I'm not sure if they still make them or not. I wouldn't use a "converted" pistol for anything other than range use though, due to some of the differences that I stated above.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
To add and amend what the other good guys stated, there's so many differences between the two calibers that swapping some of the parts probably would leave you with a less than satisfied reaction upon firing it after converting it.

Why do you feel like the 9mm is a better carry round than the .40?
They are both pretty similar as far as energy and and expansion, using good brands of bullets with an eye towards weight selection.

I am lucky enough to have both calibers of the PPS, as well as both in the PPQ platform, and I alternate EDC between all 4 of them on a random basis.

9mm ammo isn't very much cheaper, if at all, than .40....that leaves the on-board round count as the only deciding factor. You can also carry extra mags (you should, in case you have a misfeed. it's easier and faster to swap a mag than to clear that misfeed etc)

I have a Fobus paddle mag holder that holds two P99/PPQ mags for when I carry the Q, and when I carry either of the PPS', I use two velcro closure knife holsters for the spare mags. I always carry two mags no matter which handgun I have for the day. I don't plan to ever expend 46 rounds (9mm PPQ for example) but that situation COULD present itself, alternatively, while it's not likely, I could have a misfeed or another magazine problem where switching mags is the only fast feasible solution.

With THAT said (whew!) what's wrong with owning two Walther handguns?!
:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9mm P99 impossible

Thinking about it i did want a 9mm P99 but it is impossible to find. I would of gotten one but i had a hell of a time just finding my current P99AS. Only time will tell and hopefully i can find someone who wants to trade or a dealer who secretly has them in stock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts