Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one had any problems, recomendations with this ammo, see my other thread regarding steel cases. The real question is do i start reloading for my P99 or take the risk in using steel case ammo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently, I purchased a "spam can" (1600 rounds) of Barnaul 9mm steel cased ammo. I had some concerns, as some shooters had reported poor performance. So, I took my Hi-Power 9mm, Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm compact, and SCCY SPX-2 to the range to test this ammo. First thing I noticed, the boxes of 50 rounds noted the the muzzle velocity at about 1350 fps and the energy at about 450 foot-pounds, which is about equal to Winchester +P 9mm ammo!! The only hint of this was the note on the spam can that it was military ammo. This ammo is marketed as Monarch through Academy.

My 9mm handguns were cleaned and lubricated prior to the test. I fired about 4 magazines of Barnaul ammo in each of the guns. No problems at all.

I intentionally did not clean my weapons before returning to the range several weeks later.
The second test was quite different, with failures to extract occurring frequently in all three handguns.

Afterwards, I field stripped, cleaned, and lubricated them. The guns had never been so dirty or sooty. Back to the range where they once again performed flawlessly.

Shortly thereafter, I bought 400 rounds of .380 Barnaul steel cased ammo. Again, the reports were definitely negative about .380 steel cased ammo, so I made sure the handguns were clean and lubricated. Firing a Bersa Thunder .380 compact, Glock 42, and LCP first generation, all performed flawlessly.

Bottom line, I am satisfied that Monarch (Barnaul) steel cased ammo will perform well when using a clean and well lubricated handgun. After all, what other kind of gun is there?

Pete45

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steel case ammo sucks but with the ammo shortage you might as well shoot it. The P99 is a very robust gun and will be just fine, however the extractor won’t like it. I went through 150 rounds of steel case yesterday and it jammed only once. That being said I could tell that the gun wasn’t having a good time with it. The slide was very filthy afterwards too because the steel makes a poorer seal than brass. It will shoot though, and your gun won’t break. In fact the higher chance to jam may make for a good failure drill :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo - An Epic Torture Test Although this concerns AR-15s, some correlations might apply to handguns :).

Clean gun chambers fairly often, so that the fired steel cases (whose rigidity allows more residue to accumulate outside the cases) can easily extract.

You Guys Do clean your guns - right?
Guys definitely clean their ARs (plus, they "run 'em wet") - if they care about their guns. Maybe handgun chambers should also be cleaned.

There's no logical, rational reason to be uneasy about steel-cased Russian ammo. If you use several thousand rds. in a single gun, there will be some increased wear inside the bore. But isn't the energy of a 9mm Luger bullet a good bit less than the energy of a .223? Would this mean far less wear inside a 9mm handgun barrel compared to wear in a .223 rifle barrel?

Some very extensive and graphic, charted test results - though not scientifically perfect - means far more than hearsay, with no personal experience or any sort of documentation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Many of the shooters in the US seem Unaware that steel cases/shells Do Not expand. :eek:

Burned residue builds up
Between the rigid steel cases…and the chamber when gun go Bang.

If there is lots of residue accumulated, then Extraction is more difficult.

Guns are made of higher-grade steel than the ammo cases, and these cases don’t break components. :)

Don’t be a slob, just do a little scrubbing in the chamber fairly often with a patch or brush soaked with your gun cleaner .

The German word for “Lazy” is “Faul”.
Think about it. Pronounced Fowl, as in football.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Many of the shooters in the US seem Unaware that steel cases/shells Do Not expand. :eek:
Steel cases, made of very mild steel, do expand and contract; just not as well as brass. If they don't, how is the chamber sealed from excessive blowback? Because they are harder and don't expand and contract as well as brass, steel cares are more likely to cause extraction/ejection problems as residue builds in the chambers... especially chambers that are tight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
doubs43:
What I meant was that steel’s - comparative rigidity - makes it highly recommended that people should clean their chambers.

GeMor: von der Luftfeuchtigkeit :cautious: und Warme während des Joggings.
In der Nahe von Memphis TN.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
My P99 is totally intolerant of the Tula steel case that I purchased. It will fire the first round from a mag and then it's a jam-o-matic. My FNX-9 however, will chow down on the steel cased ammo like it's a box of popcorn at the movies. And yes my P99 started with a surgically clean chamber. Just how it is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts